Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options

Replies

• slappymcgee
    Options
    For some people the artificial sweetener is a trigger food and too much can make some people crave bad carbs. Also caffeine can cause you to retain fluid as well.

I'll agree with this, I have not had any issues but I know people who do.

Studies have shown that sweeteners trigger your brain into wanting more. Just drink more water. Stay away from the crap.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stop any soda intake. I went to my doctor last week. I explained to him that my appetite is like crazy bad. I eat like I should, but get hungry too quickly. I end up just grabbing what's near because I will get that hungry. He told me to stop drinking any diet drinks. I had been drinking Diet Rite thinking that it's better than the rest because it doesn't have any aspartame, but in actuality it has another sweetner that, according to my doctor, is just as bad. He told me to just drink water and move more. So now I workout at 3 a.m. before work and have been avoiding sodas (even regular), except for today because I needed major caffiene since I am about to fall asleep at work and have a pounding headache. I haven't really noticed much difference this week, but it might take awhile to make a difference in my appetitite, I don't know.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Short answer: no.

However, it may make you look "fatter" due to the puffiness and bloating that can accompany carbonated food items.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm logging, but I always seem to go over my cals

Quit blaming the poor diet coke.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    The key thing with diet colas is to dilute the initial concentration of artificial sweeteners. Its well known in the scientific literature that such materials in high doses can cause chronic ennui, malignant malaise, Routine's Syndrome and terminal monotony. I prefer to use Captain Morgan as my solvent of choice, but in a pinch The Kraken will do.

I can get on board with the Captain. :)
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Soda is bad. Period. Don't drink it. Replace it with carbonated flavored waters if you like the fizzy feeling. :)
  • prismblitz
    prismblitz Posts: 196
    Options
    I say split the difference. If you like it, keep it around for special occasions. If you drink a soda, down the equivalent in water to compensate.

I've adopted the Jillian Michaels rule of no caffeine after noon, with tea in the afternoon if I'm in dire need of a pick-me-up. I usually have a cup or two of coffee every morning, so it's all but eliminated my soda consumption altogether. Coffee usually nerfs my appetite, so that's a nice bonus.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It gives me cravings, which lead to me eating much more than I usually would. So in a sense it could sabotage weight loss
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    For some people the artificial sweetener is a trigger food and too much can make some people crave bad carbs. Also caffeine can cause you to retain fluid as well.

I'll agree with this, I have not had any issues but I know people who do.

Studies have shown that sweeteners trigger your brain into wanting more. Just drink more water. Stay away from the crap.

Which studies.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Studies have also shown that recognizing and acknowledging subconscious thoughts improves your ability overcome them. When you drink a diet pop, acknowledge that this might lead to cravings, and then do not give in to them. Problem solved.
  • xHarleyQuinnx
    Options
    I rarely drink anything but water anymore, but when I do drink diet soda, I quickly feel addicted, constantly feel hungry, and retain water weight like mad, mad I tell ya! I don't believe in total deprivation of junk food and drinks, but moderation is absolutely key. Depriving yourself of something you're craving oftentimes will lead to overindulging in everything else to satiate it. Especially true for us ladies...Don't beat yourself up over a can every once in a while, but try to keep it at just that.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    All Coke is utter rubbish and should be taxed to death like cigarets, it poison.

I was practically addicted to some years ago, I still drink it but only on a Friday when I have a loads of Vodka on my free day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop and it has never made me crave sugar or put on weight. In fact it's the opposite... it helps me stave off cravings, instead of reaching for a candy bar or frappuccino in the afternoon I'll have a nice icy glass of diet root beer. I limit myself to one a day. I'm sure the artificial sweetener is bad for me...but it's a personal choice.

That's what works for me and is my opinion.

For you - you can try to stop drinking it and see if you get better results controlling your cravings.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking them for years, back at 327 and still now in the low 180s, my abs are coming in and I drink more than 3 a day... I don't think it affects weight loss in my experience. I may get cancer but I will deal with that when the time comes... :)
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Soda is bad. Period. Don't drink it. Replace it with carbonated flavored waters if you like the fizzy feeling. :)

flavored waters use the same fake sugars and artificial sweeteners...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    All Coke is utter rubbish and should be taxed to death like cigarets, it poison.

I was practically addicted to some years ago, I still drink it but only on a Friday when I have a loads of Vodka on my free day.

You willingly ingest poison? Brave soul.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    "Which studies...?"

Is there any point wasting good time even bothering to present the evidence of any longitudinal studies done on the subject when all you want is to prove yourself right?

The research is in its infancy and plenty of overuse research conducted on animals has produced very worrying outcomes. As someone said earlier, with more functional MRIs around these days it'll be good to progress some of the research how exactly artificial sweeteners act on the brain and other organs...

For me there are enough studies suggesting links with ill health, for me to err on the side of caution.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-there-a-link-between-diet-soda-and-heart-disease-201202214296

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20091102/diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

To the lady who implied that her sister drinking pepsi throughout her pregnancy and producing a child with the correct number of toes and fingers... well... excellent! How old is it now and is it allowed to drink lots of pepsi??
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Over the past few months I have slowly gotten addicted to diet coke. I am having at least 1 can, but sometimes up to 3 a day. Initially it helped to fill that space in the late afternoon when I wanted to eat and eat. I've googled and there are so many reports saying that it actually ends up making you put on weight in the long term.

Initially I pffft'd that, but I'm beginning to think that is true. I am starting to struggle with controlling my cravings (and then over eating) and I'm actually now thinking that it might be the diet coke. I didn't seem to have any problems with this for the year that I lost weight. It's only once I got close to maintenance that I started with the diet coke thing, and every so slowly my weight has crept up (which is not surprising - I'm logging, but I always seem to go over my cals).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Artificial sweeteners do not make you gain weight themselves, and they affect everyone differently on an individual basis.. Some studies have shown that there are taste buds on your intestines that will 'taste' the artificial sweetener and elicit an insulin release because your body is preparing for sugar, which drives down your blood glucose levels, which in turn makes you more hungry because your body is looking for carbs. Be your own judge; if you want to cut them out, do so. If not, then don't. If you find you're stalling in weight loss, you can try to cut them out and see if it helps.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking it! Giving up sodas was this best thing I did a couple years ago. The artificial sweeteners in diet drinks make you hungry so you tend to eat more if you consume a lot of diet sodas.

No they don't, they don't increase insulin nor blood glucose. Indeed studies show this:

Overall - http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7921865

Aspartame - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Saccharin - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652029

Sucralose - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21245879

Don't let facts get in the way of your interesting story tho :tongue:

Thanks for this!
  • SunshineMaye
    Options
    Please put down the diet soda and read this very scary!!

Aspartame Side Effects
    There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. It seems surreal, but true. How can one chemical create such chaos?

Aspartame dissolves into solution and can therefore travel throughout the body and deposit within any tissue. The body digests aspartame unlike saccharin, which does not break down within humans.

The multitude of aspartame side effects are indicative to your genetic individuality and physical weaknesses. It is important to put two and two together, nonetheless, and identify which side effects aspartame is creating within you.

Aspartame Side Effects
    The components of aspartame can lead to a number of health problems, as you have read. Side effects can occur gradually, can be immediate, or can be acute reactions.

According to Lendon Smith, M.D. There is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame, yet have no idea why drugs, supplements and herbs don’t relieve their symptoms. Then, there are users who don’t ‘appear’ to suffer immediate reactions at all. Even these individuals are susceptible to the long-term damage caused by excitatory amino acids, phenylalanine, methanol, and DKP.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
    Blindness in one or both eyes
    Decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    Pain in one or both eyes
    Decreased tears
    Trouble with contact lenses
    Bulging eyes

Ear
    Tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    Severe intolerance of noise
    Marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    Epileptic seizures
    Headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    Dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    Confusion, memory loss, both
    Severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    Paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    Severe slurring of speech
    Severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    Atypical facial pain
    Severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    Severe depression
    Irritability
    Aggression
    Anxiety
    Personality changes
    Insomnia
    Phobias

Chest
    Palpitations, tachycardia
    Shortness of breath
    Recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    Nausea
    Diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    Abdominal pain
    Pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    Itching without a rash
    Lip and mouth reactions
    Hives
    Aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    Loss of control of diabetes
    Menstrual changes
    Marked thinning or loss of hair
    Marked weight loss
    Gradual weight gain
    Aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    Severe PMS

Other
    Frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    Excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    Increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    Death
    Irreversible brain damage
    Birth defects, including mental retardation
    Peptic ulcers
    Aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    Hyperactivity in children
    Severe depression
    Aggressive behavior
    Suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    Non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

I counsel aspartame victims worldwide and have witnessed nine out of 10 clients restore their health by following the Aspartame Detoxification Program. Begin with detoxifying your body of all residual chemical toxins from aspartame's chemical make up of phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol and their toxic by-products, and see if any adverse health symptoms remain. Try the Aspartame Detoxification Program, and within 30 days your symptoms should disappear.

Steps:

Remove all sugar-free products with aspartame from your diet.
    Learn to 'read' your body. Begin recording any health changes.
    Get a hair analysis.
    Be happy with yourself.
    Detoxify.
    Restore depleted nutrients.
    Exercise and get plenty of rest.
    Eat 75% raw foods at every meal.
    Drink water, water, water.
    Get control of your life.
    I designed this Ten Step Program to help protect your health and the health of those you love from being seduced by the sugar-free diet craze. Wishing you good health.

What can you do about aspartame side effects?
    Set an example by changing your diet.

Tell everyone you know.
    Talk to the schools and day care centers. Offer to speak at parent-teachers meetings.
    Contact your local, state, and Federal government representatives.
    If you see someone with a diet drink, ask if they have had any of the typical aspartame side effects.
    Spread the word at your work.
    Distribute the Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Pilot's Hotline
    Tell your doctor about the scientific research available proving the negative side effects of aspartame.
    Register a complaint with the FDA, the FAA, the NutraSweet Company about aspartame poisoning.
    Return all food products with aspartame, opened or unopened, to your grocer. Tell him/her the products make you sick. The grocer can return them to the manufacturer for a store refund. The manufacturer should get the message. So, will the grocer.
    Spread the word on computer networks.
    Publish articles in newsletters at your church, place of work, or neighborhood association.
    Set a personal example for health and wellness.