Please recommend protein powders that don't taste like a**

Options

Replies

• insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have a good suggestion for protein powder that tastes amazing. (But I've seen lots of good suggestions in other replies, so I think you're set.) I do, however, have a tip for making your vanilla protein powder more palatable so you can get through the rest of the container. :wink: I've been blending my not-so-delicious EAS Vanilla Creme protein powder (with a stick blender so it gets very well mixed) with water and about 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. It tastes just like horchata and it's waaay better than the powder alone.

Good luck! :happy:
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I use the cheap Body Fortress Chocolate flavor from Wal-Mart. Only $15 a tub and the chocolate tastes great mixed with milk. I've had the Vanilla too, and it's not bad.
    A friend of mine got an orange flavor from GNC and when you mix it with milk, it tastes like a creamscicle.

Good luck!

This is what I use too. I really like the chocolate. I mix it with Almond Milk, it is dairy free - has less calories then milk & twice the calcium. Also, a lot of times you can print off a $1.00 off cupon from the Body Fortress web site! :smile:
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'll double check the brand but it's the one Walmart carries in Vanilla. I mix it with skim milk, and actually like the taste....I would imagine mixed w/fruit would be even better, but I don't bother.
    Body Fortress! I love the chocolate!

I use the vanilla.....add a cup of low carb. chocolate milk,a pack of instant coffee,Torani sugar-free hazelnut flavoring syrup,some crushed ice in a blender and I am in heaven.........think that's what I'll have for lunch today!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you're strictly looking for palatable protein drinks, try spiru-tein. Their cookies and cream one tastes like melted ice cream. They have a huge range in flavors, too.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I use Walmart Body Fortress Whey strawberry flavored. I mix it with just plain water in the morning and it tastes great...also mixes well!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what tastes good ---- most of the stuff people recommended to me I hated.
    Optimum Nutrition and Gold Whey make me vomit but people still say they love it.

I have some favorites but they won't be yours. I like chocolate and coffee so that's what I look for.
    I also look at the label -- i want pure whey protein isolate -- not a concentrate, not a blend.
    It should have 0mg cholesterol , low carb etc. Those are MY guideliness.

I would recommended you get samples and figure out what you like ---- also, mwhat you mix ti with makes a HUGE difference. I think most taste like crap in just water so i use almond milk and cold decaf coffee as my fluid.

Here are place you can get samples:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissMaryMac33/view/protein-samples-101-260411
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    sams club premier nutrition 100% whey isolate,chocolate milkshake, 30 grams of protein per serving, 160 calories. no more than 16oz of water and ice, shaken not stirred (no clumping or slimey clump residue when shaken), sip through a straw. love it, been on it since january. wife likes it to.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Six Star whey protein by Muscletech (sold at Walmart). I love the vanilla cream flavor mixed with almond milk. There is 30g of protein per scoop for only 160 calories. A 2# container costs between $18 to $19.

YES.

That is the one.
    I like the vanilla, and I'll bet it is good w/almond milk, or vanilla Silk.

I wish I had known this out before dropping $36 on my 2# Gold Standard. Will likely make the switch. Thanks.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate. I mix it with peanut butter, a frozen banana and some almond milk and it is YUMMY! The frozen banana makes it like a shake almost!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i dont drink my whey shakes for the taste, i drink it for the nutritional value

grow a pair and suck it up, not everything healthy is going to taste AMAZING, gotta make some sacrifices

Yes, but it is possible to have the nutritional value AND good taste. And if you hate the taste you will stop using it, regardless of whether it's healthy for you or not.

I have tried most of the proteins out there and ended up tossing most of them because I won't continue to drink them if they are a hassle to get down. I finally found one that meets all of my requirements AND tastes good... so much so that I look forward to my shakes. So I get the best of both worlds now... Nutritional value AND good taste!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Dynatize ISO-100. Low calorie, low fat, low carb. Mixes well and tastes great. I've only tried the Gormet Chocolate and Vanilla.

1) I DO like the protein I am drinking

2) Dynatize ISO-100 Whey Protein. I drink the vanilla. I have tried a bunch that were heavy and didn't like that...but I can't remember them cause they suck.

I liked this brand better because it was effective, inexpensive, and mixed well. I could make a gallon and pour it as needed. I didn't add anything to it, just water.

I don't add anything either. Just water. Never thought about making a bunch a head of time though. Hmmm...I might start doing that. lol
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Biochem 100% whey protein. They have natural, vanilla, and chocolate. I LOVE the vanilla. Flavored naturally with stevia and is pure whey protein isolate.
  • asauna
    asauna Posts: 8
    Options
    i've tried many different protein shakes. The best is GNC AMP- Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I mix mine with Lactaid milk. it tastes GREAT. no chalky taste. I've only bought the vanilla, chocolate and cookies 'n cream flavor. . . actually i bought the fruit punch flavor; but it was NASTY. GNC also has a policy that if you buy their store brand items and don't like it after trying it, you may return it to the store. the best thing about it are the nutritional facts. high protein, low fat, low sugar, low carbs. i only use one scoop at a time.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
    Servings Per Container 17

Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 280.00
    Calories from Fat 10.00
    Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
    Cholesterol 20.00 mg 7%
    Sodium 350.00 mg 15%
    Potassium 350.00 mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrate 7.00 g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%
    Sugars 2.00 g
    Protein 60.00 g 0%
    Calcium 280.00 mg 28%

Micronized Amino Acids: 8.50 g 0%
    Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine) **
    Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate) **
    Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine) 7.70 g 0%
    L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 500.00 mg 0%
    Amino Acceleration System 239.00 mg 0%
    Carbogen **
    Aminogen **
    Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem
    Enzyme Matrix Blend (Amylase Protease 4.5 Protease 6.0 CereCalase Peptidase Alpha-Galactosidase Glucoamylase Bromelain **
    Protease 3.0 Lipase Protease AM Invertase Lactase)
    ** Daily Value (DV) not established
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Jarrow Brown Rice Protein- I mix it into smoothies- my girlfriend mixes it with her yogurt or other mixables :)
    its good!
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    i've tried many different protein shakes. The best is GNC AMP- Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I mix mine with Lactaid milk. it tastes GREAT. no chalky taste. I've only bought the vanilla, chocolate and cookies 'n cream flavor. . . actually i bought the fruit punch flavor; but it was NASTY. GNC also has a policy that if you buy their store brand items and don't like it after trying it, you may return it to the store. the best thing about it are the nutritional facts. high protein, low fat, low sugar, low carbs. i only use one scoop at a time.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
    Servings Per Container 17

Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 280.00
    Calories from Fat 10.00
    Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
    Cholesterol 20.00 mg 7%
    Sodium 350.00 mg 15%
    Potassium 350.00 mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrate 7.00 g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%
    Sugars 2.00 g
    Protein 60.00 g 0%
    Calcium 280.00 mg 28%

Micronized Amino Acids: 8.50 g 0%
    Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine) **
    Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate) **
    Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine) 7.70 g 0%
    L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 500.00 mg 0%
    Amino Acceleration System 239.00 mg 0%
    Carbogen **
    Aminogen **
    Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem
    Enzyme Matrix Blend (Amylase Protease 4.5 Protease 6.0 CereCalase Peptidase Alpha-Galactosidase Glucoamylase Bromelain **
    Protease 3.0 Lipase Protease AM Invertase Lactase)
    ** Daily Value (DV) not established

This in Chocolate! :) ^^ I do 1 scoop too!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    EAS 100% Whey vanilla flavor. No water though, I use unsweetened almond milk, and some kind of berry, and ice. Very yummy,
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    i dont drink my whey shakes for the taste, i drink it for the nutritional value

grow a pair and suck it up, not everything healthy is going to taste AMAZING, gotta make some sacrifices

LOL...

OK bud.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really like the syntrax milk chocolate ( it doesnt taste like chocolate to me, it tastes like ovaltine). I drink it with 8 oz of 2% milk.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll double check the brand but it's the one Walmart carries in Vanilla. I mix it with skim milk, and actually like the taste....I would imagine mixed w/fruit would be even better, but I don't bother.
    Body Fortress! I love the chocolate!

I do the body fortress in vanilla - that way I can mix it with whatever