kickboxing teacher told me...

Options
my kickboxing teacher told me that if i want to diet I should cut out anything white (breads, rice, pasta, etc) and stick to colorful foods. I trust him but I would like to hear from a few other sources before I go all out into this diet. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I would agree with him :) Switch to Brown Bread, Whole Wheat Pasta's etc & eat everything in moderation.
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    if u “go on” this diet you will gain it all back when you “come off it”
    no diets .. just healthy lifestyle changes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You'll hear a number of different things. That said: this is how I generally eat (not 100%) and have for 12 years. It's been so much better for me, (less cranky) and easier to keep weight off I believe.

I do eat brown rice, whole grains, sweet potatoes etc...

I think it's a very doable LIFESTYLE change.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Cut out the white, just not the brown. There's always room for whole grains. I try to stay away from the empty starches; white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread that's not whole grain, etc. Good luck!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've heard this same thing from several trainers in reference to "clean" eating.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "White" foods are generally processed foods with a lot of refined sugars. If you don't already, try switching to whole grain stuff. As with anything, too much is a bad thing. Allow yourself to have a treat every once in awhile so you have a better chance of success. Good luck!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I switched all my whites to browns and load up on veggies. So yea, its a good idea. But nothing can keep me away from REAL mashed potatoes and white gravy! I just dont eat 5 servings at once like I use too! lol
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and low fat dairy should be okay. It is the grains that will make it hard to lose weight because they are very heavy on calories and light on nutrients.

I'm attempting to remove grains from my diet, and it is hard. I had to start tracking my fiber, since grains are where most of us get the fiber in our diet.

Grain free diets are also referred to as the paleolithic diet. It is a lifestyle, like vegetarianism. If you suspect that you are sensitive to gluten this is a good way to get started.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I should apologise for this before I say it, but my brain is working like this lately.

But that just makes me want to use food colouring.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good advise to me.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's decent advice in general. "white" foods tend to have less nutrition and are more processed. Colorful foods (at least the ones that are naturally colorful) are better for you. I don't think any rational person is going to try to tell you white bread & sugar are better than vegetables...

The only thing I disagree with is cutting them out 100% right away. Sometimes it is hard to stick to things if you make drastic changes, I tend to do better with cutting back a bit at a time, doing it gradually.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    that's funny because i got to single digit body fat eating bread/pasta etc on a daily basis
    just watch your calorie intake and your macros. What you eat isn't as important as these numbers in terms of how your body looks
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well following this probably won't hurt. But neither will white food.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    While that's an easy "diet" to understand, it's much smarter, and much healthier to understand calories in and calories out, as well as appropriate macro nutrients.

You can cut out all the white you want, but if you're still eating too much color, you're still going to gain.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    if u “go on” this diet you will gain it all back when you “come off it”
    no diets .. just healthy lifestyle changes!

ditto that!! :smile:
  • MrsKoolaid15
    MrsKoolaid15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I heard that from this hippie vegan girl I used to hang out with. She did that and stopped eating like pizza and stuff like that. Basically did a gluten free diet and lost a BUNCH of weight. Like over a hundred pounds. And says she feels better than ever. Just what I heard. Lol good luck
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like to put jam on my toast, it makes it really colorful.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    the more colors in your diet the more different types of nutrients, I've heard the deeper the color the more nutrient packed. the "cut out anything white" thing is garbage just for losing weight, but the less carbs I eat and the more veggies I can eat the higher the quantity of food I can eat. for example if a slice of bread is 150 calories and a cup of squash is 30 calories I can eat 5 cups of squash or a slice of bread. Sometimes I eat the cup of squash and more meat, and sometimes I shove that bread right into my pie hole and enjoy every chew.
  • lldelmonte
    lldelmonte Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. But - it cannot be a diet - must be lifestyle. In general "white" foods are quick digesting carbs, low in fiber. They often are high on the glycemic index and raise your blood sugar. Basically, they have little fiber to make you full and actually make you feel hungrier. When it comes to bread - white means processed. (There are of course exceptions such as cauliflower.) Ultimately, calories are everything, but eating this way helps you feel fuller, get more nutrients and eat cleaner.:smile:
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't completely eliminate anything because eventually you will crave and probably feast on it and not in a good way. But convert to mostly brown grain (I did it and now prefer it) but allow yourself the white once in a while.