Vegetarian Protein Source

Options
I just started on myfitnesspal and love its simplicity. It is helping me to see that I eat too many carbs each day. As a vegetarian, I find it difficult to obtain low carb/high protein alternatives. Anyone have any meatless suggestions for meals and/or for snacks?

Thanks!

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    any lentils or beans. (hummus too)
    not sure how you feel about the veg meat subs (morningstar farms)
    Cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus all have decent amounts of protein.
    and of those combos with couscous or quinoa (no too much as the quinoa is high cal but very nutrient rich)

not sure if i answered ur question or even helped.
    Best of luck
  • tinacc1
    tinacc1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use TVP for everything I have used ground beef for! Sauces, casseroles, it's great.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Tofu? Cottage Cheese?

I don't know if they're vegan but that have protein.

So does soy.
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get enough protein as well, especially if you are trying to lose weight and are watching calories. I use protein bars like Clif bars, Isagenix bars, NuGo Free Dark Chocolate Crunch bars, and Isagenix protein shakes which are actually really good. Most of the these are gluten free, non-gmo. There is a site I came across - whfoods.com where you can look up a specific nutrient and it will return foods that contain that nutrient and how much and how many calories. It's in a chart form so its easy to copy into an excel spreadsheet and sort by column based on your criteria.
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered the Quorn brand....its good. Their products use mycoprotein (as in various mushrooms). No Soy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Tofu? Cottage Cheese?

I don't know if they're vegan but that have protein.

So does soy.

soy is anti nutritive.
    It contains trypsin inhibitors, which block the absorbtion of protein.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I found this list and find it very helpful http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/protein.html
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Seitan, tempeh, tofu, beans, lentils and protein powder are all great sources of meatless protein.
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a great list! There are many ways to get protein on a veg diet without tofu:

Protein Sources and How Much You Are Actually Getting By the Numbers

Beans, Nuts, Seeds

1 cup garbanzo beans 14.5 grams
    1 cup pinto beans 12 grams
    1 cup refried beans 15.5 grams
    1 cup soybeans 28 grams
    1 oz. cashews 4.4 grams
    1 oz. peanuts 6.5 grams
    1 oz. sesame seeds 6.5 grams
    1 oz. pistachios 5.8 grams
    1 cup tofu 22 grams
    1 cup lentils 18 grams

Dairy

1 cup yogurt 13 grams
    1 oz cheddar cheese 7.1 grams
    1 egg 6 grams
    1 cup cottage cheese 10 grams

Fruits and Vegetables

1 avocado 10 grams
    1 cup broccoli 5 grams
    1 cup spinach 5 grams
    1 cup peas 9 grams
    1 medium artichoke 4 grams
    1 cup asparagus 5 grams
    1 cup beet greens 3 grams

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vegetarian-protein-sources.html#ixzz21kjPUD57
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was a lacto ovo veggie for years, and just recently started adding fish back into my diet. So I guess I am pescaterian following a low carb diet.

Nuts, greek yogurt, cheese sticks, EGGS are great sources of protein. I do drink protein shakes, or make my own smoothies. I keep my carbs in between 50 to 100 grams per day (on my good days).

Feel free to add me.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too! Here are some of my high-protein low-carb snacks:

1) Edamame
    2) Hummus with carrots sticks
    3) Almonds
    4) Banana with peanut butter and teensy bit of honey
    5) Whole wheat toast (or English muffin) with avocado, tomato slice, salt and pepper
    6) Hardboiled egg
    7) Greek Yogurt with honey
    8) Cottage Cheese with some sliced strawberries
  • annie55596
    annie55596 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Morning star has great vegetarian low carb/high protien foods. you can buy it at Ultra Foods and I think also at Jewel.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Edamame beans contai a lot of protein as well, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, almond/peanut butter, tempeh..
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian as well (technically pescatarian, but I don't eat fish very often at all). I aim for 90g+ of protein per day and usually get most of it from low fat cottage cheese, nonfat greek yogurt, beans, and whey protein powder. I'm also a fan of Clif Builders bars and Luna Protein bars. If you eat eggs, they are a great source as well. :happy:
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I did a live Q&A on Twitter with Harley Pasternak and he recommended egg whites, nonfat Greek yogurt, vegetarian meats(seitan, tempeh, etc) beans/lentils and seafood. I guess the egg whites and seafood depend on if you eat want to them!

Oh and quinoa and nuts, protein powerhouse!
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and I still have a hard time getting all my protein in without going over on everything else. I use EAS Premium Protein Powder. I mix it with iced coffee and it makes a coffee house type drink with 140 calories and 27 grams of protein.
  • hparr1
    hparr1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The protein powder PlantFusion Vanilla Bean is great!! It is best blended with fruit. I have been using this powder in my smoothies for about 2 years now. 120 calories, 21 g protein, 4 g carbs per serving
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm a long time vegan, and honestly, the most efficient way I've found to guarantee you hit your protein mark is with a protein powder supplement. I usually only use it on heavy workout days and manage to come near or reach my goal other days. I don't think it's really that difficult, but I do like the packaged foods such as Boca crumbles and chik patties which are high in protein and low in calorie. Tofu is an obvious choice... stir fry it, put in a curry, or use it as a salad topping. Things like quinoa have a better reputation, but it's not all that high in protein and I don't like it enough to make it worth the calories. That's just my two cents.
  • nanimoose
    nanimoose Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, whey protein powder, egg whites, beans, lentils, tofu, protein bars, nuts, veggie burgers and hot dogs, simulated chicken nuggets, milk...
    There's lots of choices!