Why is my weight increasing not decreasing - Help

Options
I have been religously following a callorie count for 3 weeks now . Over the past 2 weeks I've gone from 94KG to around 91.8 and consistently last week I was at 92Kg or thereabouts.

My callorie intake has been around 1600-1900 per day for this period and I've done a little exercise. However yesterday I measured 94.5 and today 94.8 even though I ate less (about 1400 calories). I'm am very depressed about this as for 2 weeks I've been measuring 92KG and I've PUT WEIGHT ON according to the scales.

I really dont understand...

Replies

• sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have about a 5 pound water weight swing in any one day. It could be a slight stall, it could just be water. Try drinking more water and maybe a little lemon in it. Or some green tea. Make sure you are not getting a lot of salt.

Also, I have found (for me), that when I stall sometimes I will take one day and eat a little over my normal intake. Like 300-500 over. Just one day, then go back to low cal. This helps fool my body into thinking that 1900 calories is not all it is going to get and it can burn more. Maybe do 2200 then go to 1300 for 3 or 4 days after.

Try the water first.

Best of luck and remember to be patient with yourself.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when you're trying to lose a significant amount of weight, three weeks is a drop in the ocean. Try not to freak out too much because of what you see on the scale. Weight loss is not linear and even when people are not trying to lose or gain, weight fluctuates day to day, and throughout the day. Fluctuations happen because of different amounts of food in your system, water retention (from increased sodium, exercise, carbohydrate, hormonal fluctuations), how hydrated you are etc. Just because the scale goes up, it does not mean you have gained fat.

If you are measuring your food intake and logging accurately, and you are meeting your calorie goal, then you won't have gained fat. 1 pound of fat takes roughly 3,500 calories above the normal calorie intake you would need to maintain your weight.

It's best not to worry about the fluctuations you see from day to day, but concentrate on the overall trend. Is that going downwards? It's early days for you, so it's easy to get frustrated, but you may well have lost a little fat and gained a little water, making it look like you've gained fat. The scale is a useful tool, but it doesn't show the whole picture. I'd recommend taking measurements of your body as you go along, as well as photos. Just keep doing what you're doing and you should see results. Good luck!
  • chrismic999
    Options
    thanks - apparently I had my body fat measured over the past 3 weeks too (started at 25 then last week at 20 then today 18)
    Waist line started 45.75 and then down to 44.5 then today at 45. but scales up!!!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You have only just begun. Weight will naturally fluctuate. Put away the scale. Focus on eating healthier and exercise. Lots of great info at the group "Eat More to Weigh Less", and I have also provided tips on my profile.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    The scales aren't a good measure. With a new eating regime, you could be retaining water, which will make your weight go up for a short time. Give your body a chance to get used to your new routine. Three weeks is such a short time!

I also fluctuate up and down even within a day, as much as five pounds. I currently weigh 134, but just two days ago after a dinner that was heavy in sodium, I was at 139! Weigh yourself in the morning before you eat, after you go to the bathroom. And only do it once a week. Keep your measurements, otherwise. They're a much better indicator of your progress.

You're doing fine!
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    Couple things can do it - and yes we have all been there - water weight gain, femals around that TOTM seem to gain (at least for me), muscle gain through your excercise which always weighs more then fat, etc.

Many people say put away the scale and it depends on each person. For me I need to weigh everyday, ys sometimes it is discouraging if I gained but I also find it EXTRA motivational to dig a bit deeper and try even harder. On the days when I drop I can see that and am extra stoked. It rewards all my hard work.

I also do the taping but not nearly as often and I feel how my clothes hang when I wear them and take all of that into account.
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have also been told by many many trainers and people that you don't always lose inches and pounds at the same time. So if you see a stall in the scale it is because your body is focusing on the inches part of dropping. So take victory in the size not the weight. In the end we are all trying to lose mass, not weight. We could lose weight by going to the moon since gravity pulls less there...but I think we would all be unhappy with the results of our size. Take victory in the loss of mass. You are doing the right thing.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you're 'very depressed' about a tiny gain in a very short space of time while your body fat decreases then I think you should step away from the scale and only weigh once a week at the very most. It's probably just water.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 3 weeks is nothing to worry about. My weight has pretty much stabilized since February. I would stick to what worked for you in the past. If things aren't moving in 2 or 3 more weeks, then you've hit a plateau and it might be time to change things up. The only other thing I can suggest is to watch your sodium intake and drink as much water as you can stand to drink. Good luck!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are turning lard into muscle so your fat content is reducing even though you have not lost - could be as well you were light when you weighted yourself first off due to water etc. As people say though although 3 weeks seems like a long time if you are going to change your life you have the rest of your life to do it. If you keep going up do more exercise etc. Good luck and don't give up
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't care what the scale says. I'll maybe weigh myself every 3 or 4 weeks just out of curiosity. What matters is how you feel and that you can see a change happening. No one sees a number when they look at you, it's simply fit or not fit.

Your food diary looks solid, just keep doing what you've been doing and it will show.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You eat a helluva lot of wheat based stuff. Nestle - Coco Shreddies, profiteroles, bread, biscuits. Coupled with even more starchy foods rice pudding. I'd seriously work on your food choices. . Not sure what size frame you have from your photo but you look at first guess like a regular guy and certainly by your weight you should be eating a bit more, it's important to eat correctly and sufficiently.

I virtually cut out wheat based foods and it has made a world of difference to me - if that's a step too far fair enough - each to their own but I'd still look to cut back on the abundance of those starchy foods if i were you. At the very last stick to wholegrain varieties!
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a great discussion. We all need to just keep on keepin' on - no matter. Your body is having a major discussion. Shall I trust that I will get my nutrients? Hang in there. This site works and I believe in it. Good luck. Keep going and always tell us how you are.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Just by any chance, your calorie intake might not be as accurate as you think?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. drink 12-16 cups of water each and every day.

2. count your sodium and get it under 2500 mg a day (if its over).

3. eff the scale. until you get a better understanding of water retainage and how your water weight can fluctuate, throw away the scale because its affecting your mood in ways it should not.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    thanks - apparently I had my body fat measured over the past 3 weeks too (started at 25 then last week at 20 then today 18)
    Waist line started 45.75 and then down to 44.5 then today at 45. but scales up!!!
    Sounds to me like you are doing the right stuff--body fat is lower, your waist has dropped in size. It's hard not to expect to see results immediately when we are trying so hard, but seriously, don't give up. Keep going.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I would say there's absolutely no way your body fat went from 25 to 18% in 3 weeks. How exactly did you have that measured!?

It's a slow process - not sure what exactly is achievable but never seen anything like those sort of figures. Some people who have made monumental efforts are like losing maybe .5% a week. so sorry I don't mean to be rude but it's far more likely that the measuring is inaccurate.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I would say there's absolutely no way your body fat went from 25 to 18% in 3 weeks. How exactly did you have that measured!?

It's a slow process - not sure what exactly is achievable but never seen anything like those sort of figures. Some people who have made monumental efforts are like losing maybe .5% a week. so sorry I don't mean to be rude but it's far more likely that the measuring is inaccurate.

This...
    I think she might use one of those scales that claim to measure body fat at the same time of weighing...I played a bit with that stuff and find it a joke. My body fat percent changes within minutes. :)
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    During weight lost your weight may jump back and forth a little and most body fat test are not super accurate to begin with and can be affected by your hydration level. The best way to test for body fat levels is via a body scanner or a dunk test which both are expensive as hell.

Just keep to your cal limits and keep being active you will slowly see the weight going down in the long run. Week by week or even by day to day it may jump back and forth but as long as the month and years it keeps going down your doing alright.