How fast do women put on muscle?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yep and then we get into discussions about myofibrillar vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, all of which is supefluous for any beginner. The difference between training for strength and training for size is greatly overstated for beginner trainees. Lift at max effort with progressive overload preferably on a well know beginner lifting routine with a built in progression scheme and measureable\trackable results somewhere in the 5-12 rep range and you will get bigger and stronger. Oh, and will calorie surplus of course.

^ This is a great post.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The only thing I disagree with is #3. You'll note that all the guys responding think that 5-8 lb weights aren't much - but as a female starting out, this is where you may need to be.

I've been doing Jillian Michaels for a few weeks with 5 lb weights (and the 30DS also has a lot of weight bearing activities for arms) and saw a difference within a week or two. I've already stepped it up to 8 lb weights though and am almost ready for 10 lbs....eventually you may need to increase your weights, but you can absolutely see some tightening starting with the 5-8 lbs.

That said...it really, really, really goes depend so much on your individual body for all the other questions. But the guys need to also remember, when answering the question re: 5-8 lbs, that their bodies are very different from a female body. :)

You asked short questions with a significant lack of detail, so I'm going to give you short answers:

1. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

2. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

3. No.

All of this depends WHOLLY on diet, intensity level, amount of weight and reps lifted, your own genetic makeup and hormonal patterns and about a dozen other things. However, I can assure you that you will never put any significant amount of stress on your muscles (except maybe your side delts for the first week) with only 5 and 8 lb weights.

This! For someone who has never lifted in their life, starting with low weight and working your way up is fine. Then when you are ready, move on to heavy lifting.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Wow - umm ok.... I don't have access to a gym nor do I have the money to get 100+ lbs in weights.... Do the weights have to be that high? I'm at 23.5% BF so I was trying mostly just help get the last of the fat off by introducing strength training instead of doing primarily cardio....

I think what the problem is that you just have a different meaning of strength training, when people hear that they think compound lifts with a good amount of weight to get a total body workout. If you add small weights to JM, that is more of a small resistance training, and will achive what you are looking for.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The only thing I disagree with is #3. You'll note that all the guys responding think that 5-8 lb weights aren't much - but as a female starting out, this is where you may need to be.

I've been doing Jillian Michaels for a few weeks with 5 lb weights (and the 30DS also has a lot of weight bearing activities for arms) and saw a difference within a week or two. I've already stepped it up to 8 lb weights though and am almost ready for 10 lbs....eventually you may need to increase your weights, but you can absolutely see some tightening starting with the 5-8 lbs.

That said...it really, really, really goes depend so much on your individual body for all the other questions. But the guys need to also remember, when answering the question re: 5-8 lbs, that their bodies are very different from a female body. :)

You asked short questions with a significant lack of detail, so I'm going to give you short answers:

3. No.

All of this depends WHOLLY on diet, intensity level, amount of weight and reps lifted, your own genetic makeup and hormonal patterns and about a dozen other things. However, I can assure you that you will never put any significant amount of stress on your muscles (except maybe your side delts for the first week) with only 5 and 8 lb weights.

Ok Great Thank you!
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    Hey what part of Texas are you in? I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this post..just being nosy :happy:

HAHAHA DFW area suburb
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

3. No.

Ok Great Thank you!

Success:

step 1: ignore what everyone says.
    step 2: take the advice of the one person that agrees with you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

3. No.

Ok Great Thank you!

Success:

Awesome!
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    Success:

lol. Gotta love MFP Forums!
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    Wow - umm ok.... I don't have access to a gym nor do I have the money to get 100+ lbs in weights.... Do the weights have to be that high? I'm at 23.5% BF so I was trying mostly just help get the last of the fat off by introducing strength training instead of doing primarily cardio....

I think what the problem is that you just have a different meaning of strength training, when people hear that they think compound lifts with a good amount of weight to get a total body workout. If you add small weights to JM, that is more of a small resistance training, and will achive what you are looking for.

oh ok- Then I need to edit this to Resistance Training to put on some muscle...and Not strength training. I'm just wanting to tone up and get a bit stronger not WAY stronger.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Success:

lol. Gotta love MFP Forums!

Isn't that what internet forums are for? Arguing until you get the answer you were looking for?
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

oh ok- Then I need to edit this to Resistance Training to put on some muscle...and Not strength training. I'm just wanting to tone up and get a bit stronger not WAY stronger.

... *headdesk*
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Don't think about it in terms of strength... think about it in terms of size.

Heavy lifting + caloric deficit = what most people think of when they think "toned"
    Heavy lifting + caloric surplus = muscle growth/gaining size (albeit gains are small and very slow)

Strength gains (i.e. the ability to lift heavier things) will come with either. Muscle gains (i.e. added size/muscle tissue) will really only happen with the second.

• InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later~~~~
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Heavy lifting + caloric deficit = what most people think of when they think "toned"
    Heavy lifting + caloric surplus = muscle growth/gaining size (albeit gains are small and very slow)

Strength gains (i.e. the ability to lift heavier things) will come with either. Muscle gains (i.e. added size/muscle tissue) will really only happen with the second.

Strength gains will eventually stall without surplus and size gain. A good portion of beginner strength gain comes from increased coordination and nerual adaptation whereby your central nervous system gets more effective at firing muscle fibers and firing more muscle fibers at the same instant. Eventually though you will not get any stronger while in a deficit and not adding any size and getting the full muscle recovery benefits brought by eating more calories than you burn.

@Panzeria

Indeed. Why would anyone say they don't want to get TOO strong? I mean all things being equal appearance wise, why wouldn't you want the ability to throw cars if it were possible?
  • MrDude_1
    Options

Strength gains will eventually stall without surplus and size gain. A good portion of beginner strength gain comes from increased coordination and nerual adaptation whereby your central nervous system gets more effective at firing muscle fibers and firing more muscle fibers at the same instant. Eventually though you will not get any stronger while in a deficit and not adding any size and getting the full muscle recovery benefits brought by eating more calories than you burn.

exactly. most newbies that talk about "muscle gain" on a calorie deficit are just seeing the gains from the CNS learning how to fire off existing muscle more effectively.... they just dont realize it.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

@Panzeria

Indeed. Why would anyone say they don't want to get TOO strong? I mean all things being equal appearance wise, why wouldn't you want the ability to throw cars if it were possible?

First, you're smart. =D I like you.

Second, I would LOVE to be able to toss a car around! That would be SO. FREAKING. COOL!!!!!!!!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

exactly. most newbies that talk about "muscle gain" on a calorie deficit are just seeing the gains from the CNS learning how to fire off existing muscle more effectively.... they just dont realize it.

They will also see a bit of size gain at first due perhaps a bit to the muscles "holy sht I'm working!" but also due to increased water and nutrient storage.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Except I wasn't talking about building muscle specific - I was talking about the weights used. i.e. that women can use lower weights and still build muscle (whereas the guys were saying lower weights WON'T build muscle).

I think you are misunderstanding what I said.

(Also, I didn't quote you, I quoted the OP who was questioning how much to lift)

I love that the people insisting that everyone is different because of body type, metabolism etc are the very ones saying you MUST use heavy weights. ;)

thats because the sentence you say after what I quoted is wrong.

if anything women need to follow bodybuilding/strongman/etc advice MORE strictly then men... because they dont have the hormonal benefit helping them.

think about it.. its HARDER for women to make muscle.... for the best results, they should be following the best advice possible...

but whatever. :)
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Except I wasn't talking about building muscle specific - I was talking about the weights used. i.e. that women can use lower weights and still build muscle (whereas the guys were saying lower weights WON'T build muscle).

I think you are misunderstanding what I said.

(Also, I didn't quote you, I quoted the OP who was questioning how much to lift)

I love that the people insisting that everyone is different because of body type, metabolism etc are the very ones saying you MUST use heavy weights. ;)

thats because the sentence you say after what I quoted is wrong.

if anything women need to follow bodybuilding/strongman/etc advice MORE strictly then men... because they dont have the hormonal benefit helping them.

think about it.. its HARDER for women to make muscle.... for the best results, they should be following the best advice possible...

but whatever. :)

they can use lower weights in the same sense that a 130lb scrawny man will be using lower weights then a 200lb athletic man.

they can not use lower weights in relation to their strength, and still expect the same results. woman or man, they're still human and bound by the same biochemistry...