what "safe food" do you order when you eat out?

Options
I'm going out with friends tonight and plan on ordering a salad with salmon on it. Unfortunately, it is not a chain so I will just have to guess at the nutritional information.

Any tips on what to order when in a restaurant? TIA!

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    When it comes to salads I find Greek Salad the most filling.
    And I usually try to order chicken anything. Preferably grilled or roasted. It really depends on where I go. If it's indian tandori is better then sauces and nan.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken with two sides of steamed broccoli is wonderful. And of course, a hefty glass of water!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that sound or look appealing to you on the menu, make your best guess on how many cals if you want to log it. If it happens to put you over your cals, so be it, enjoy the food and get on track the next day
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on the restaurant but in general if I'm trying to keep it healthy and lower cal I'll go with a small piece of grilled fish or meat and non-potato veggie sides.
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    Options
    i usually order a steak and ask for salad only with no dressing or a fat free dressing.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    plain grilled protein, like steak or chicken, and salad (with ranch or oil and vinegar) or plain veg. (with butter)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Grilled/baked/blackened chicken or fish is usually a safe choice. Greek salad is actually not that great - lots of hidden calories in the dressing. If you get salad make sure to get light dressing and on the side. It may be safer to go with chicken or fish with veggies.
    But as above posted said - enjoy time with your friends and if it comes down to it....make today your cheat day and don't stress over your calories.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want when i eat out just portion control :) i do love seafood and chicken though so thats usually what ill order
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that sound or look appealing to you on the menu, make your best guess on how many cals if you want to log it. If it happens to put you over your cals, so be it, enjoy the food and get on track the next day

this.

its hard to make it a lifestyle change when you over think things constantly.

that said, I look for more protein, not fried.. and not tons of empty carbs....
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Usually some sort of chicken or fish with vegetable dish and a salad with just vinegar (no croutons or anything like that). Sometimes we have to have a bit of what we want and not what we need this is when to order anything that looks appealing to you and eat half...bring the other half home for a quick lunch to have another day.
    Have a good time! :flowerforyou:
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies later!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu and make the best choice. I don't think there's one thing available at every restaurant that I consider "safe".

Being vegetarian, I don't go to steak houses or typical american restaurants. That leaves out most chains as well. And there are so many local options here, I'm not a fan of chains anyway.

In general if looking to cut calories you can avoid anything deep-fried, look for steamed or grilled, get sauces and dressing on the side, look for entrees that are mostly veggies, if I'm eating asian, I'll go easy on the rice, if italian, I'll go for tomato-based versus cream-based sauces, stuff like that.

And I'll often split what I'm eating with someone or take half of it home.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    baked fish with steamed or grilled veggies or a salad with grilled chicken (my trick is to use salsa instead of dressing.)

usually water or iced tea (unsweetened) to drink.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm going out with friends tonight and plan on ordering a salad with salmon on it. Unfortunately, it is not a chain so I will just have to guess at the nutritional information. Any tips on what to order when in a restaurant? TIA!

Salad is a very good choice. However, what you put on it (toppings, dressing, etc) can add calories. Veggies and beans are good. Vinaigrette-based dressings are good (use the cream-based ones sparingly).

The salmon is good for the protein, but have it grilled or baked. Not fried, as that's more calories (from fat).

From what I've read, the salad should be mostly veggies--about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The food with the lowest amount of calories on the menu, because normally when I go out the meals start at 500+ calories.
  • gallerygirl21
    gallerygirl21 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice. I picked out a few items that look healthy and are also appealing. I'm a little too new at this to be taking a break so soon, but thank you for the encouraging words!
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I feel like a "safe food" for me is baked or grilled fish with steamed vegetables of some sort and a side/garden salad with low fat dressing.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    i usually avoid salad unless the restaurant has a fat free or low fat vinagarette. Usually I end up ordering grilled chicken or salmon. :) good luck and enjoy yourself!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    if i go out, i get what i want and just try to keep the portions under control. u can also type in what u plan to get here and there should be something similar to give u an idea of the calories