Knowledge & Advice needed. Re: Coconut oil

Options
Hi. I'm looking for someone with knowledge on the pros and cons of coconut oil.
An acquaintance of mine (who knows several of us trying to lose excess weight) is trying to convince us all to use coconut oil. She claims it acts as a hunger suppressant and is a healthy supplement to our current diet.

I am extremely uncomfortable with anything linked to the words: "hunger suppressant' and plan to stay far away. I can't see it being viable over the long term...which is my goal. A few girlfriends of mine however are considering it.

Am I wrong? Or should I encourage them to stick to diligence, hard work and proper nutrition?

Feeling skeptical about "quick solutions"....
~W.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It's a natural food if its the only thing, I'd go for it for my saturated fats (natural) rather than the trans-fats that we get in our baked goods etc, transforming unsaturated oils into saturated....

I'm actually looking for some locally to use as my cooking oil so I can relegate my olive oil to salad dressing or other things that don't need heated.
  • kelfox
    kelfox Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I recently started using coconut oil in my grill pans. The research I've done on the oil is that it is a "healthy" oil like Olive oil, instead of veggie oil and such. I happened to have some coconut oil in the house because my Dermatologist thinks it helps with any skin scratches, etc. It didn't do much for that for me, so I moved it into the kitchen. The best thing I've noticed so far is that a TINY bit goes a long way. Like 1/2 teaspoon to grill a whole green bell pepper, large slice of onion and one chicken breast. The oil doesn't appear to cook away and so it keeps the pan slicked up for the entire time, no need to add more. Also, the flavor isn't noticeable in the food, which was something I wondered about. So far, so good. I have not heard of any hunger suppressent nature until you mentioned it. I just tried it for health reasons as an alternative to Olive Oil. P.S. my Dermatologist actually eats one teaspoon of coconut oil every morning to keep her skin hydrated (I tried it and was not a fan). She does have the nicest skin I've ever seen on a woman over 60y! =) Kel
  • kelfox
    kelfox Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I purchased my coconut oil from my Dermatologist's office. Drugstore.com and possibly some super healthy food stores may carry it, from what I'm told.
  • dougede
    Options
    Yes, I read that as well! A LOT of people eat it by the spoonful.

I can understand the idea of using it to replace bad fats, but cringe at the motive of eating it hoping it will act as a suppressant. has anyone else heard of this?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat saturated fat, it's better to be from coconut oil then from animal fat. But saturated fat is still saturated fat and in excess can cause issues with high cholesterol and clogged arteries, which can lead to stroke or heart attack. It is recommended that you consume less then 7% of your total calorie intake in saturated or trans fats and some organizations even say to go as little as you possibly can. Personally, I skip it just because I can get saturated fat from splurge foods and enjoy it more then coconut oil. If I'm cooking with oil, I just use a heart healthy oil with very little or no saturated fat. If you are looking for a heart healthy oil, olive and canola are much healthier options. Poly- and Mono-Unsaturated fats are the ones that are linked with lowering cholesterol and atherosclerosis risk and olive and canola have more mono and poly-unsaturated fats then the others. Canola has a really light flavor too, so you can use it for pretty much anything and not have to worry about the flavor being overpowering and throwing off the taste.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been taking coconut oil caplets for the past month and my skin is softer. I know it also has healthy fats.
  • samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options
    I LOVE Coconut oil and can not say enough wonderful things about it.....if you google coconut oil you will find nothing negative about it except if it highly processed! I buy Organic Virgin Coconut oil from Tropical Traditions...some people prefer Nutiva for it's taste and price...
    I eat roughly about 3-4 tablespoons a day, too cook with, add in my smoothie, add in my oatmeal....it is a HEALTHY Saturated Fat with a high burn point. In your body it doesn't go into the bloodstream like other saturated fats, it actually supports healthy liver and thyroid function...I believe it even helps with belly fat. Because it is a Fat, when you consume with your food in a healthy diet it leaves you satiated, which is what fat is supposed to do. It's not a "hunger supressant" but a natural reaction to what happens when your body naturally consumes fat. I have been eating coconut oil oil since June...have had my bloodwork taken and have lost a significant amount of weight. ALL of my levels in regards to cholesterol have come back outstanding, and I credit a lot of that to Coconut oil. Don't be scared of it...do your research!!!!!
  • klaudiak
    Options
    Coconut oil has been found to stabilize blood sugar in diabetics. I have heard the recommendation that diabetics should get at least 1 tsp a day. (I'm not diabetic) but have begun to use coconut oil almost exclusively in my cooking. I haven't heard that it's an appetite suppressant but perhaps because of it's ability to stabilize blood sugar it prevents wild swings. A little does go a long way, using it on your pans instead of cooking spray prevents the gook from building up.
  • samiko
    Options
    If you're going to eat saturated fat, it's better to be from coconut oil then from animal fat. But saturated fat is still saturated fat and in excess can cause issues with high cholesterol and clogged arteries, which can lead to stroke or heart attack. It is recommended that you consume less then 7% of your total calorie intake in saturated or trans fats and some organizations even say to go as little as you possibly can. Personally, I skip it just because I can get saturated fat from splurge foods and enjoy it more then coconut oil. If I'm cooking with oil, I just use a heart healthy oil with very little or no saturated fat. If you are looking for a heart healthy oil, olive and canola are much healthier options. Poly- and Mono-Unsaturated fats are the ones that are linked with lowering cholesterol and atherosclerosis risk and olive and canola have more mono and poly-unsaturated fats then the others. Canola has a really light flavor too, so you can use it for pretty much anything and not have to worry about the flavor being overpowering and throwing off the taste.
    I can't help myself but to respond to this comment. Olive oil is very healthy however has a lower burn point, so if you are cooking with it chances are by the time you are eating it, it's a trans fat SORRY....It is suggested to use Olive oil for light sauteeing and for dressings ect if you consume it as a healthy fat. As for canola oil and Poly unsaturated fats....I would google that info and REALLY see if it's as healthy for you as you think.....Most vegetable oils on the market are highly processed and already rancid sitting on the store shelves. Coconut oil can not be put in the same category as other saturated fats simply because it is a meduim chain fatty acid and works differently in the body than other saturated fats. It also has a very long shelf life, so there is little to worry about it going rancid.
  • samiko
    Options
    Coconut oil has been found to stabilize blood sugar in diabetics. I have heard the recommendation that diabetics should get at least 1 tsp a day. (I'm not diabetic) but have begun to use coconut oil almost exclusively in my cooking. I haven't heard that it's an appetite suppressant but perhaps because of it's ability to stabilize blood sugar it prevents wild swings. A little does go a long way, using it on your pans instead of cooking spray prevents the gook from building up.

...I Agree with this comment ....infact a good way to not have other food items have a higher impact on sugar levels (this works even if you're not diabetic) is taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with say a banana. This combo will give you alot of energy and will SLOW the effects from the banana..great before or even after a workout! The key to coconut oil and it's effectiveness is to know WHEN to incorporate it to a healthy diet to see it's wonderful benefits. And still remember moderation is the key.... o.k. i think I'm all done commenting now....LOL!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself but to respond to this comment. Olive oil is very healthy however has a lower burn point, so if you are cooking with it chances are by the time you are eating it, it's a trans fat SORRY....It is suggested to use Olive oil for light sauteeing and for dressings ect if you consume it as a healthy fat. As for canola oil and Poly unsaturated fats....I would google that info and REALLY see if it's as healthy for you as you think.....Most vegetable oils on the market are highly processed and already rancid sitting on the store shelves. Coconut oil can not be put in the same category as other saturated fats simply because it is a meduim chain fatty acid and works differently in the body than other saturated fats. It also has a very long shelf life, so there is little to worry about it going rancid.

I don't google nutrition information as 90% of the stuff on the internet is inaccurate when it comes to nutrition. I go by actual nutritional science as that is my field of study. When I search for coconut oil on PubMed, which is a database of actual scientific studies and journals, the first study that comes up is this one.

http://www.ijaronline.com/article.asp?issn=0974-7788;year=2010;volume=1;issue=3;spage=159;epage=162;aulast=Ghosh

Where in order to test the lipid lowering effects of something else, they induce hypercholesterolemia (High Cholesterol Level in the Blood) by giving coconut oil. Obviously, the scientists wouldn't use it to raise blood cholesterol to be able to get an accurate study if it worked for lowering blood cholesterol as that would negate the effects of the Kumbhajatu they were studying to see if it had an effect at lowering cholesterol.

Here's another study showing the usage of coconut oil to test memory function from a high saturated fat diet.

http://iospress.metapress.com/content/e127886j3212kr76/

There were more errors in memory and a higher cholesterol level the coconut oil/saturated fat fed group then the control group that were fed soybean oil.

Here's another study showing that coconut oil raised the cholesterol and increased plaque formation in the arteries. Plaque formation in the arteries is what causes blockages that lead to heart attacks and strokes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616740

Like I said in my original post, coconut oil may be better then the saturated fats from animal products, but it isn't a healthy fat.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Not sure where you got this information? Olive oil happens to have a fairly high smoke point of around 410 degrees Farenheit. As to the ability to "turn it into a trans fat" - you might want to research that a little further also - that would require a slightly bigger chemistry set than your stove and a frying pan - check out this website for starters:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil
  • shellef30
    Options
    When researching new recipes yesterday to help cure me of my yeast infection i read in several places that you should use virgin coconut oil not just any old coconut oil
  • samiko
    Options

Not sure where you got this information? Olive oil happens to have a fairly high smoke point of around 410 degrees Farenheit. As to the ability to "turn it into a trans fat" - you might want to research that a little further also - that would require a slightly bigger chemistry set than your stove and a frying pan - check out this website for starters:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil

Do you have more than the one source that discusses the high burn point of olive oil than a company that actually sells this product??? I also saw it discusses the QUALITY of the olive oil determines the burn point.
  • samiko
    Options

I don't google nutrition information as 90% of the stuff on the internet is inaccurate when it comes to nutrition. I go by actual nutritional science as that is my field of study. When I search for coconut oil on PubMed, which is a database of actual scientific studies and journals, the first study that comes up is this one.

http://www.ijaronline.com/article.asp?issn=0974-7788;year=2010;volume=1;issue=3;spage=159;epage=162;aulast=Ghosh

Where in order to test the lipid lowering effects of something else, they induce hypercholesterolemia (High Cholesterol Level in the Blood) by giving coconut oil. Obviously, the scientists wouldn't use it to raise blood cholesterol to be able to get an accurate study if it worked for lowering blood cholesterol as that would negate the effects of the Kumbhajatu they were studying to see if it had an effect at lowering cholesterol.

Here's another study showing the usage of coconut oil to test memory function from a high saturated fat diet.

http://iospress.metapress.com/content/e127886j3212kr76/

There were more errors in memory and a higher cholesterol level the coconut oil/saturated fat fed group then the control group that were fed soybean oil.

Here's another study showing that coconut oil raised the cholesterol and increased plaque formation in the arteries. Plaque formation in the arteries is what causes blockages that lead to heart attacks and strokes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616740

Like I said in my original post, coconut oil may be better then the saturated fats from animal products, but it isn't a healthy fat.
    I don't have a lot of time to write so i will try to make this quick.....Yes I read your articles, lots of jargon I don't understand....I don't know maybe it's me but I don't like being compared to a rat or mouse although I know that is what scientists like to compare humans to when doing research....And I don't need an article about that to discuss why. However one important thing I did think was missing from the articles is the type of coconut oil was used. Not all coconut oil is the same, I'm sure you know that. The coconut oil must be unrefined to see it's true benefits. Back in the day coconut oil was the soybean oil...basically used in everything until "Research" was done and discovered Coconut oil was not good for you . It was highly processed ect...Soy took over and America is FATTER than ever.....That is a top story EVERYDAY...anyhow I don't have any scientific journals on coconut oil, but I'm sure if I spent a day on the computer I could pull some up and post them. What I do have are my own blood results that came back near perfect. I have NEVER had cholesterol even as a young teen under 200. And when I was in my 20"s I was in amazing shape. I am now in my 30's and after 2 kids fell to the crash diets. I am done with dieting...and just eat normal healthy food spaced out all day long. I eat about 400 calories worth of coconut oil and MY cholesterol has never been lower. I actually go out of my way to avoid products with soy which is REALLY hard to do. Anyhow that is my unscientific info.... :)
  • vlondini
    vlondini Posts: 7
    Options
    Nutrition Diva often offers a reasoned and informed analysis of the various pros and cons of diet claims. She does so once again with her article on Coconut Oil. Give it a read:

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil.aspx
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read that as well! A LOT of people eat it by the spoonful.

I can understand the idea of using it to replace bad fats, but cringe at the motive of eating it hoping it will act as a suppressant. has anyone else heard of this?

Only in the most roundabout way. There is some evidence that extra virgin coconut oil (and that's what you should be using--not the refined variety!) supports thyroid function and helps burn fat (the latter is to do with the fact that it consists exclusively of medium-chain triglycerides). Insofar as this influences your metabolism, yes, it might also influence your appetite.

Which is not why I'm using it. I discovered it in the course of researching anything and everything that might help with my thyroid condition, and while I'm not sure it has any particular effect that way, I love the taste of it and I love the fact that it is, quite simply, a very healthy option, especially for cooking. EVCO is the only oil that does not degenerate when heated; all other oils do, which turns them slightly toxic.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I too love coconut oil, it's amazing when cooking eggs in it. I use it as a moisturizer, in my hair as well as eat it.
  • kitmao
    kitmao Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a fat, therefore it is going to fill you up. This isn't a hype, it's a fact.

High quality coconut oil is very healthy for you. But, if the rest of your diet is processed foods, it won't mean much. Likewise, don't do a high fat/high carb diet as this is a recipe for a heart attack. Your best choice is to do a low carb/high fat diet, utilizing coconut oil.

Another thing that maybe your friends might be thinking related to coconut oil is that it helps your body use fat as a fuel when you are eating a low carb diet. And by low carb, I mean below 100 grams of carbs a day.

As for comments about animal fat being unhealthy - this is true to a point. Fat from a conventionally farmed animal isn't going to be that healthy for you, while the fats from animals that are grass fed and finished or pastured are very healthy for you. This is true with eggs as well. There is a big difference when it comes to how an animal is raised and what it is fed. Grain fed (vegetarian) animals tend to have very bad Omega 3:6 ratios and the fat from those animals should be avoided. Just as we would do best to avoid all vegetable oils (canola, peanut, etc..).