Low Carbers - what do you eat for lunch?

Options

Replies

• embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically do low carb...but DO watch my macros. Have you tried Shirataki noodles? The angel hair ones are the best...because of the smaller texture....20 cals for half a package...3 carbs, 2 fiber, so 1 effective carb. :) I actually use them in the microwave at work.....eating them for lunch right now in fact! ;)

the trick is to rinse them ( they are tofu and some sort of yam flour) and smell a little * fishy* ...they come in liquid..rinse them in warm water, blot them dry with a a paper towel.... then add some spices... i like garlic powder, salt pepper and basil....use them like any other pasta... in soup... with sauce... i sometimes do chiligarlic sauce and curry... when you are home you can also do the same method just *dry fry* them with cooking spray or a little bit of healthy oil and the spices....

There is also a new bread out there... 1 carb... from Julian Bakery... a low carb..and a carb zero... havn't tried it yet, but it looks decent!~ You can order it online... :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Whatever meat wrapped up in romaine lettuce leaves w/avocado, vinegar, and oil. :)
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i eat turkey burger patties with mustard&pickles, salads with apples, nuts & chicken or turkey, burger no bread, egg salad, grilled zucchini and asparagus. ive gotten recipes off line and i never get bored with my eating. i eat gluten free so the carbs i get are mostly from fruits and veggies
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Im kind a fan of leftovers, but today I made myself a brunchy kind of lunch and made a fritatta. I love using things like that because its fairly portable, and you can put anything in it (I had leeks, mushrooms, roasted asparagus and deli turkey), but you can change it to be whatever you want, you can make it with ham and cheese or do peppers, onions, garlic and chicken for a southwestern style one..and its pretty easy to make :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Today, tilapia and asparagus. Yesterday, massive salad with cheese and bacon. Most days though, cheeseburger with grilled onions and fried egg on top! YUMMM!

Great now I'm hungry again.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I make up non-lettuce based marinated salads on sunday, and pack them in 2cup containers. Then they are ready to go for lunch instantly. One of my favorites has poached chicken, quinoa, baby cucumber, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, kalamata olives, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and spices. I also make up big batches of soups and chilis and pack them in individual containers.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Need ideas too!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Muffin in a minute! Search it, there are tons of options and additions you can make. If you choose one of the savory or plain options, you can cut it in half and use as bread for a sandwhich. The sweeter options are great, especially if you use sugar free carmel and /or maple syrup. Tastes just like a whole wheat pancake without the carbs and tons of fiber, protein, and fat!

Lettuce wraps

Assortment of deli meats, jerky, and cheeses

leftovers (just plan to make more at dinner! Only takes a small percentage more time. Freeze in baggies for when you won't have time)

Salads

Celery with cream cheese or peanut/almond butter with some almonds or olives on the side

Rotisserie chicken = 4-5 meals add roasted (carrots, turnips, mashed cauliflower etc) or raw vegies (tomato, celery, broccoli etc)

Soup made with LC vegies and a protein. Make with canned/frozen veggies and a rotisserie chicken in ~20 minutes and lasts days!

Oopsie bread sandwhiches (takes some time for the "bread" but they keep)

plain greek yogurt with a little SF preserves (I like boysenberry) YUM!

Mission carb balance tortillas are normal tasting with tons of fiber and great for burritos/wraps

Tasty Pizzas using a whole portobello mushroom as a "crust" take about 40 mins to make, but would keep for a day or two

Patty melt (esp with mushrooms, bacon, onion etc)

LC burgers at Carl's Junior. Any of their "6 dollar burgers" can be ordered LC, with a big lettuce leaf. The Guac bacon burger is huge and fantastic (~$5 with tax)

Canned pumpkin, cream cheese, and cinnamon can be mixed and heated for a very filling side or desert. Extra veggie points!

Eggs! Scrambles, omlettes, crustless quiche, even just boiled! Boiled eggs keep for a week. Eggs can be mixed with just about any veggie or leftover protein that you have!

Salmon patties (look around for a recipe that doesn't use very much filler like crumbs or crackers) Protein and Omega 3s. Keeps 3 days.
  • yummymummy52
    yummymummy52 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I forgot to mention raw vegetables cut into strips and served as crudites with hummus. I usually use red/yellow/orange bell peppers, mushrooms, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, mangetout, cauliflower and broccoli heads, carrot sticks.
  • tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I say pre-cook stuff. If you are grilling chicken breasts, grill enough for the week and put them on salad for your lunches. Do the same with beef for salads.

Make up chicken salad or tuna salad ahead of time - make enough for the week. If there are ingredients that you put in your chicken salad that might get soggy, then have it prepared and ready to add easily when you make your lunch.

I also like a good chef's salad topped with cottage cheese - its a weird combination but its good!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Poached egg with lean bacon and lots of salad,tomatoes,onions or an Omelette or anything
    Eggie...
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to try Joseph's Lavash Bread. They are huge rectangle shaped wraps and are only 4 net grams of carbs per serving. We made flatbread pizzas with them today. They were wonderful!
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb, I would cook extra meat at night and turn it into a salad for lunch the next day. Steak and blue cheese, chicken Caesar, Cobb (bacon, egg and avocado mmm), pork and citrus vinaigrette, etc. Easy, quick to prepare in the morning and delicious.
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    3 egg white, half scoop of vanilla protein powder and some sweet potato. I blend all of mine in the morning and put it in the refrigerator. It's super easy to throw on the skillet and top with cinnamon for a huge protein pancake. You can also add a few oats instead of the sweet potato.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Usually a protein bar, cheese sticks, a protein shake, veggies in packets to go like carrots with ranch or celery with individual portions of peanut to go to dip them in, bagged salads with lunch meat, yogurt, cottage cheese, V8's, and fresh fruit. Sometimes even the canned fruit or the fruit applesauce squeezers meant for kids!!! I'm always on the go and it HAS to be fast. I work through lunches too!
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "3 egg white, half scoop of vanilla protein powder and some sweet potato. I blend all of mine in the morning and put it in the refrigerator. It's super easy to throw on the skillet and top with cinnamon for a huge protein pancake. You can also add a few oats instead of the sweet potato"

That sounds awesome, I'm going to try it!!!
  • AngelaKoder
    Options
    My husband grills chicken strips on the grill for me on the weekends. I put two strips in a sandwich bag. I also pack romaine lettuce with zero cal itialan dressing (or you can make your own dressing with strawberries and vinegar) and I also pack one fruit. Works perfect! I'm full and loosing weight yay!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my breakfast a little later than usuall and it usually keeps me till dinner. If I do get hungry, I try to keep it small like a 2oz package of jack links beef steak to tide me over till dinner. Its like 3 carbs and 120 calories.

Edited to get carb and calorie count.