My aunt wants me to fast!

Options
I am in a very Christian family, and currently one if my aunts is very sick. My other aunt asked me of I could fast for her, for three days. I told her how I'm trying to lose weight and everything, and so she said that I could partial fast. I don't know what fo do because im already struggling with these few 2 pounds that keep coming and goin, so I'm worries that of I do fast, itll ruin everything! what do I do?!

Replies

• sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you already know what you should do. Maybe you can explain to your aunt that God has given you a healthy body and expects you to take proper care of it. Fasting isn't taking proper care, especially since (going by your picture) you're very young.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    If we were just talking diet, I would say no, definitely don't fast. But we're talking about faith. Do you believe fasting will help your Aunt get well? Only you can answer that. If you don't you can kindly tell your other Aunt that you will show your support in other ways.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Wow, sure are a lot of fasting posts today.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could do a partial fast and just get a lot of high calorie foods in like full fat dairy, nuts, dates, nut butters and cheese with chicken and steak or something. But don't do it if you are having doubts about it. I am pretty sure you can be supportive without starving yourself.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this a stunt post? You're netting in the low hundreds to at most 1000 calories a day. Tell your mom you're already fasting. And when she's not looking start eating a healthy amount.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your aunt will understand your concerns and be satisfied if you offer your prayers instead.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am in a very Christian family, and currently one if my aunts is very sick. My other aunt asked me of I could fast for her, for three days. I told her how I'm trying to lose weight and everything, and so she said that I could partial fast. I don't know what fo do because im already struggling with these few 2 pounds that keep coming and goin, so I'm worries that of I do fast, itll ruin everything! what do I do?!
    The term "fast" brings many concepts to people's minds, and often are alarmed by the concept. So Can you be specific about what type of fast you mean? Perhaps you could offer to pray, instead?
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    My best friend's youth leader asked the youth group and their friends to do a special fast for a missionary they were all praying for. We all decided to choose one thing that was VERY important to us and give that up.

For some of us, it was food (not EVERY food) one of my friends gave up drinking anything but water. another friend gave up sweets. (I have given up my computer/cell phone before)

So even if you aren't giving up all of your meals, you could still "fast" something important to you and I think it will mean the same thing. The Bible says fasting is supposed to bring us closer to God, because we are "giving something up" for Him.

hope that helps you :smile:
  • DebbieRasmussen
    DebbieRasmussen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian and I believe fasting and praying can make a difference. The point of fasting is to replace eating with praying to try to focus on the Lord and to intercede for others or yourself. I think you can fast from a lot of things. If you a sweets person, fast from sweets and everytime you want a sweet something, then pray. I have a hard time fasting as well but it's because by 4:00 I'm a bear and need some food. It's about your heart, really. Give something up, doesn't have to be all of your meals. Maybe your noon meal. Lots of different options on fasting though.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That type of fasting has nothing to do with weight loss/health, it's usually something you do while you are focusing on prayer, ect... Fasting (for spiritual purposes) is also a very personal thing, and if you don't feel drawn to do it and don't believe in it, there's not much point. That being said, since this is a weight loss forum with a lot of non-christians and people who might not understand the purpose, you may receive a lot of mixed responses on this. I have blood sugar issues, so when I fast I usually don't fast more than a meal at a time or I will "fast" something else (like a certain food or activity that I'm used to doing all the time). There are lots of different ways to do it that will have the same purpose.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That type of fasting has nothing to do with weight loss/health, it's usually something you do while you are focusing on prayer, ect... Fasting (for spiritual purposes) is also a very personal thing, and if you don't feel drawn to do it and don't believe in it, there's not much point. That being said, since this is a weight loss forum with a lot of non-christians and people who might not understand the purpose, you may receive a lot of mixed responses on this. I have blood sugar issues, so when I fast I usually don't fast more than a meal at a time or I will "fast" something else (like a certain food or activity that I'm used to doing all the time). There are lots of different ways to do it that will have the same purpose.
    Yes!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    fasting is healthy scientific research has been done to show the benifts I belive u can still lose weight or gain weight by fasting if u meet ur calloric intake that is it simple
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Context, people. Context.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    I really appreciate all the posts trying to help me. I never knew that i could fast off of other things besides food :laugh:

Thanks all so much!
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My best friend's youth leader asked the youth group and their friends to do a special fast for a missionary they were all praying for. We all decided to choose one thing that was VERY important to us and give that up.

For some of us, it was food (not EVERY food) one of my friends gave up drinking anything but water. another friend gave up sweets. (I have given up my computer/cell phone before)

So even if you aren't giving up all of your meals, you could still "fast" something important to you and I think it will mean the same thing. The Bible says fasting is supposed to bring us closer to God, because we are "giving something up" for Him.

I believe this was the perfect answer! Thanks for posting this.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly
  • rixzchick
    rixzchick Posts: 17
    Options
    I recommend a juice fast...as seen in Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead...
    you're not eating anything, and then it will also help your body/cleanse it.

I think fasts are an excellent spiritual form of prayer, very selfless...and I'm not Christian or Muslim.

I think if you wanted to fast, the fasting wouldn't be the problem, it would be adjusting your body to food afterwords, so your metabolism doesn't go all wonky.

I would recommend fasting, and then doing a juice fast for a day or two, and slowly introducing foods into your body. Its actually great for your body, as well as your mind.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I grew up in a similar home where fasting was very common for someone in need.

What i recommend is praying for them, very often. fasting isint healthy and I dont think God would have you do something that is unhealthy for you. Fasting isint helping them. praying is.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I believe this was the perfect answer! Thanks for posting this.

That works just as well =)