Sprint Tri Advice for a Newbie?

Options
I have my first sprint tri in 6 weeks. I am working out every day and at a place where I am comfortable doing each piece of the tri. I have recently just started putting together workouts so I am doing swim/bike or swim/run or bike/run in one day. Would love any advice on work outs or practical stuff from people who have btdt. I am mostly just looking to complete the race and hopefully not be the last one over the finish line.

Replies

• kzandarski
    kzandarski Posts: 51
    Options
    I think it is beneficial to practice transitions during brick workouts. During training for my first tri I would set up my transition area in the drive way and go through the motions.It helped ease my worry about 'putting it all together.' I also don't live near any open water so it was really worth the time to drive to the lake to get in a few open water swim workouts.
    Have fun. I love the atmosphere are tris.

Karen
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    practice your transitions
    practice swimming in open water
    plan out what you plan to eat prerace, and then try it out in your training
    be sure to train with all the equipment you plan to use/wear day of the race - you don't want any last minute surprises
    if you are doing any strength training, cut back the week of your race - don't want sore muscles
    even if you are exhausted, smile when you see the photographers on the race course - later on you'll be glad you did
    have your supporter(s) bring a camera, and take LOTS of pictures - it's your first, you want to keep the memories
    Have fun!!!!!

On another note...I see you are from NH - which tri are you doing???
  • miss_september
    Options
    Everyone else had good advice. I totally second practicing transitions, the hardest for me is the bike to run transition because it freaks my leg muscles out, lol. I also think the diet piece is really important, I have a very sensitive stomach and I have to be very careful what I eat the day before and the day of leading up to my sprint tris. Lastly, HAVE FUN! Since your goal is to complete it and not be last, just have fun and keep in mind that you only have yourself to compete with (for now anyway). Good luck!!
  • kkyserenity
    kkyserenity Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did mine about 3 years ago. I mostly focused on the bike to run transitions. I didn't think about the food to eat before the race or how to transition from the pool to the bike and so forth. I was like you, I just wanted to do it so I could say I did and ideally not come in last. I think I was afraid that of I thought about too much it would take the fun out of it for me and I would not enjoy it as it would be a competition that I knew I would not win. I would say think of what will be your weakest areas or biggest concerns and focus on those and just let the others happen.

Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!

I'm hoping to do one next summer. My goals, in order of importance:

Not drown
    Finish
    Not last

My friend and I might get t-shirts made lol
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My goals, in order of importance:

Not drown
    Finish
    Not last

LOL - my goals for my first were: don't drown, don't crash, don't cry, don't walk
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I really should add in don't crash LOL. I'm worried about the close proximity of other bikers.