Where's your sodium at?

Options
Over the last year and a half I've slowly but surely got my sodium under control! I'm now under 2,500mg daily at 3000 calories a day!

What's your sodium intake daily?

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to keep between 2000 and 2500. I have high blood pressure (treated by meds) and realize so many prepared foods have the highest levels!!!! I can even taste the sodium in food. I never add salt because only fresh veggies MAY need just a little.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Last time I tested, surprisingly, mine was actually a little low.
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep it below 2300. Sugar and sodium is my worst enemy!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    90% of the time under 2500 mg. I haven't used a "salt shaker" in over a year! Yay me...:bigsmile:
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just got off blood pressure medicine a few months ago so I try very hard to regulate my sodium. Most days I'm between 2000-2500.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I reset my goal to 2000. I often go over, but I try to keep it around 2000.

And I wonder how many people actually add table salt to their food diary. I just recently started adding it, which is rare. (I have to add salt to my hard-boiled eggs.)
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try to keep between 2000 and 2500. I have high blood pressure (treated by meds) and realize so many prepared foods have the highest levels!!!! I can even taste the sodium in food. I never add salt because only fresh veggies MAY need just a little.

no kidding. it wasnt until i started using MFP that i realized how much salt i was chuggin jus from frozen dinners, ramen noodles and canned food. i was surprised that one pack of maruchan dried noodles has 1.6g of salt! it was very easy to go over 2.5g for the day if i ate jus one of those a day. so i started lookin at everything i had in the kitchen and it seemed the highest salt content was in canned foods no matter what it was. i read that they put alot of salt in them for various reasons from preservatives to cover the taste of the can in the food. crazy.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm between <1000 and 2,500. IF I eat out somewhere, it can get much higher.

I went to Red Lobster for dinner the other night this week and literally watched my legs, ankles, feet and hands swell up wtihin 3 hours of eating there. The sodium count for my meal, according to MFP?? OVER 5,800!!!! No wonder I swelled up!!
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 2000 a day. Anything over that and my wedding rings don't fit!
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my sodium intake between 1500 and 2000.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    some days around 1,000 other days 1800-2000 I really don't like salty foods and don't sprinkle salt on top of my food or anything (but we do season with it sometimes)
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my 2500, but some days I'm over (not by a ton, though)
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just checked my diary for the last few days and I've stayed within my limits. (before that I wasn't tracking it and never thought about it.) BUT I didn't think about the table salt I've added. Hmmm. Gotta do better with that.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    probably like 3-5000. but who's counting? (not me :wink: )
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine between 1500-2000, the one thing that usually puts me over is cheese.... so not fair as it is healthy and I need more dairy. I don't drink much milk and I can't stand yogurt unless it is mixed into something.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I checked my diary, and I am consistently under the goal MFP sets, sometimes by as much as 1000 mg. I don't track salt I use while cooking, or what I use at the table, so I know it's not totally accurate. I tend to be pretty light handed with the salt shaker, though.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a gram of sodium over my entire weightloss... I track Protein, Carbs, Fat, and calories that is it... I always drink at least my weight divided by 2 in water... currently 250 lbs. so I drink no less than 125 oz. of water a day...
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options

no kidding. it wasnt until i started using MFP that i realized how much salt i was chuggin jus from frozen dinners, ramen noodles and canned food. i was surprised that one pack of maruchan dried noodles has 1.6g of salt! it was very easy to go over 2.5g for the day if i ate jus one of those a day. so i started lookin at everything i had in the kitchen and it seemed the highest salt content was in canned foods no matter what it was. i read that they put alot of salt in them for various reasons from preservatives to cover the taste of the can in the food. crazy.
    Tina this has happened to me as well! I had a chicken burito from chipotle which has like 3000+ mg of sodium, my abs COMPLETELY disappeared for 48 hours until it was flushed out of my system. It's incredible how bad the stuff is for you in excessive amounts! (And how easily you can go over if you're not watchin' your processed foods!)
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    Nice work Ed. When I first started losing weight and gettin' in shape I wasn't tracking either. When I finally did take a look at it, I noticed I was really high! Like 3-4k a day, sometimes 5k! I pushed it out though cause I was getting great results and felt sodium was nit picking, but I'm glad I got a handle on it now before I had blood pressure problems later in life!

Plus I do some high intensity exercises, and I noticed I feel better during exercise with my sodium under control. Before I could feel my whole body pulsing from the extra pressure. Lucky my heart didn't explode lol.