Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Please put down the diet soda and read this very scary!!

Aspartame Side Effects

Set a personal example for health and wellness.

Sorry - was distracted by a wall of words.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Aspartame dissolves into solution and can therefore travel throughout the body and deposit within any tissue. The body digests aspartame unlike saccharin, which does not break down within humans.

According to Lendon Smith, M.D. ..

"Upon ingestion, aspartame breaks down into natural residual components, including aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol (Small amounts of methanol are produced by the metabolism of food and are generally harmless, being metabolized quickly and completely)."

And Lendon Smith.....hmmm...where have I heard that name....

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/lendonsmith.html
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet coke a day. Have for years!!! I am now pregnant with my fourth child and still drink a diet coke a day. So far each one of my kids have been born healthy as can be and this one right now is just as healthy. I have lost the weight after each baby and... still drank a diet coke a day. I don't believe it makes you gain weight. I also don't believe it gives you cravings for fattier /sugary foods....

But, if I have a day where I am craving everything in my fridge... maybe I'll blame it on the diet coke:)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    What if you don`t drink it so often, more like twice a week or something?

Or how about the artificial sweeteners in Crystal Light?

Same thing?

Crystal lite doesn't have the sodium that diet sodas has. Of course nothing is as perfect as water.

Also along with what others have said about making them want to eat. Latest research result have confirmed that. So why work so hard only to take in something that has the ability to crumble your will power and undo that hard work?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Crystal lite doesn't have the sodium that diet sodas have. Of course nothing is as perfect as water.

According to MFP, one serving of Crystal Lite has 20 mg of sodium, while the can of diet pop I drink every day has 35 mg.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    <3 Dr. Pepper Diet... on bad days i can drink up to two cans
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero and diet energy drinks. I am low carbing it. It hasnt slowed my weight loss down at all. I am down 30lbs since May 9th. I love soda, that was my bain and coke zero is my savior.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    "Which studies...?"

Is there any point wasting good time even bothering to present the evidence of any longitudinal studies done on the subject when all you want is to prove yourself right?

The research is in its infancy and plenty of overuse research conducted on animals has produced very worrying outcomes. As someone said earlier, with more functional MRIs around these days it'll be good to progress some of the research how exactly artificial sweeteners act on the brain and other organs...

For me there are enough studies suggesting links with ill health, for me to err on the side of caution.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-there-a-link-between-diet-soda-and-heart-disease-201202214296

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20091102/diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

To the lady who implied that her sister drinking pepsi throughout her pregnancy and producing a child with the correct number of toes and fingers... well... excellent! How old is it now and is it allowed to drink lots of pepsi??

JUST ONE STUDY PLEASE!

From your link - "A study such as this one can only hint at an association between diet soda and cardiovascular risk. It can’t pinpoint a cause and effect"

I'm not trying to prove myself right I'm just fed up of people not posting anything at all with facts. ONE study with actual clinical results rather than suggestions on what may happen, please.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It doesn't increase glucose or insulin so how would it do that? Also they do not cross the brain barrier so are not absorbed that way.

Please expand on your theory.

Matt you usually know your stuff, but this time you're probably wrong. I say probably b/c the area is still being researched. However, the epidemiology damning diet soda is very strong. I think we can all agree that epidemiology is far from conclusive in proving anything, but it's foolish to say something is safe in the long run when it has such strong associations with obesity and CVD. Especially when the evidence that says it's okay is all short term and not that great.

In regard to expanding on the theory, nobody knows for sure. However, we know that the sweet flavor stimulates your brain. Perhaps b/c it's accompanied by zero calories, it eventually messes with your normal hunger/satiety mechanisms and just makes you crave more sweets.

Furthermore, even if diet coke turns out not be associated with weight gain in future long term RTC's (which I doubt will happen), diet coke still has chemicals well known to cause inflammation. So why bother with it anyway?
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've never had so many responses to a post before. LOL.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yep 2 kinds vodka and coke, i am still weening. :cry:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Heck no, it didn't. I don't understand why people think that. Diet Coke by itself won't... it's whatever you eat alongside it. No mystery there. There is no evidence that indicates it causes weight gain. None. Unless I've somehow missed that.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It doesn't increase glucose or insulin so how would it do that? Also they do not cross the brain barrier so are not absorbed that way.

Please expand on your theory.

Matt you usually know your stuff, but this time you're probably wrong. I say probably b/c the area is still being researched. However, the epidemiology damning diet soda is very strong. I think we can all agree that epidemiology is far from conclusive in proving anything, but it's foolish to say something is safe in the long run when it has such strong associations with obesity and CVD. Especially when the evidence that says it's okay is all short term and not that great.

In regard to expanding on the theory, nobody knows for sure. However, we know that the sweet flavor stimulates your brain. Perhaps b/c it's accompanied by zero calories, it eventually messes with your normal hunger/satiety mechanisms and just makes you crave more sweets.

Furthermore, even if diet coke turns out not be associated with weight gain in future long term RTC's (which I doubt will happen), diet coke still has chemicals well known to cause inflammation. So why bother with it anyway?

thank you. that is all.
  • jthorpe47834
    jthorpe47834 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop drinking so much of it. The artificial sweetners (including sugar) in excess causes your body to store fat due to the increase and decrease of your blood sugar level... low blood sugar will cause you to eat, while high blood sugar level can cause your body to store fat. I use to drink around 3 to 4 cans of Coke a day, I have replaced my Coke intake with water and maybe have a can or two a week at most. Between that and doing around a hour bike ride a day, I've went from weighing 216.6 on the 11th of July to 208.2 on the 26th.

Not only is it not good for your weight, health, but it's also not good for your teeth.

John T.
  • liandarholt
    Options
    Truvia is a sugar substitute, but not an artificial sweetener, it is natural. I don't know if artificial sweeteners make you gain weight but I try to eat clean and natural food and I use truvia. I can tell you everyone I know who is addicted to soda, diet or not, is overweight. I think eating clean is the way to go.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop drinking so much of it. The artificial sweetners (including sugar) in excess causes your body to store fat due to the increase and decrease of your blood sugar level... low blood sugar will cause you to eat, while high blood sugar level can cause your body to store fat. I use to drink around 3 to 4 cans of Coke a day, I have replaced my Coke intake with water and maybe have a can or two a week at most. Between that and doing around a hour bike ride a day, I've went from weighing 216.6 on the 11th of July to 208.2 on the 26th.

Not only is it not good for your weight, health, but it's also not good for your teeth.

John T.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

NO IT DOES NOT. WHERE IS THIS INFO FROM? GIVE ME ONE STUDY THAT SHOWS THIS :bigsmile: :huh:

I'm seriously smashing my head against the desk :laugh:

It does not touch glucose or insulin levels. I've provided data showing this.

Seriously guys please give me ONE study that shows scientific data not information summized that requires further investigation.

Oh using your information on drinking cans of diet coke. I drank in 3-4 months about 20-30 bottles. I went from 269lb to 230lb. Therefore using your (il)logic that drinking diet soda/coke is better for weight loss than water.

My studies show this :wink:
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options

John T.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

NO IT DOES NOT. WHERE IS THIS INFO FROM? GIVE ME ONE STUDY THAT SHOWS THIS :bigsmile: :huh:

I'm seriously smashing my head against the desk :laugh:

It does not touch glucose or insulin levels. I've provided data showing this.

Seriously guys please give me ONE study that shows scientific data not information summized that requires further investigation.

Oh using your information on drinking cans of diet coke. I drank in 3-4 months about 20-30 bottles. I went from 269lb to 230lb. Therefore using your (il)logic that drinking diet soda/coke is better for weight loss than water.

My studies show this :wink:

I, ages ago provided a link to studies using functional MRI, did it provide the data you require - no, does it answer some questions in regard to diet drinks and the brain and how the brain deals with glucose as opposed to something that is sweet, then yes. Can you extrapolate cause and effect from the knowledge yes. Watch the programme that I mentioned, it shows that the brain knows much more about its immediate calorie requirement at a subconsious level than you do at a consious level.

And on that note, fresh off the press in regard to calorie regulation and your brain knowing better or genetic knowledge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18985141

Andf lastly, just because there are studies or experiments it is important to note who exactly is funding the studies. I assume all the studies that you mention Matt are named benefactors? Also, any study has to answer a question.

Can i smoke cigarettes and not get cancer?

Amazing how many studies there are regarding this question.
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Regardless of if diet drinks are not scientifically proven to be "bad", I think everyone will agree that water is the healthiest thing to drink. If you can kick the addiction, then stick with what is healthiest: water. If you can't drink it in moderation. One of my coworkers is ridiculously addicted to Diet Coke. He drinks a 2-liter on the bus ride to work in the morning, and throughout the day, probably drinks 10-15 cans. Seems very unhealthy to me.
  • MrEyeCandy
    MrEyeCandy Posts: 15
    Options
    All this talk of sweeteners and no one is talking about the elephant in the room. Acid. Phosphoric acid that is. You know, the stuff you use to clean the bluing off of guns and other industrial things. The last time I ph tested a can of Coke the ph was greater than 3.0. Folks, a car battery is 2.4! It take approx. 36 cans of ph 7.2 water to neutralize 1 can of coke! Your body produces fat to hide the acid from your vital organs. The only reason some of you are still loosing weight is because you're probably working your *kitten* off. Also, a high acid level in your body is the number 1 reason for inflammation which can be traced to countless ailments. About 3 years ago the American Cancer Society stated that acidity was one of the main common denominators associated with cancer. It was found that cancer cannot grow in an alkaline state, only in an acidic one.. I've gone totally cold turkey on the sodas and my ibuprophen use has dropped to ZERO for my arthritis. Just sayin.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The simple answer to your question is NO!