Weightlifting

Options
aamberrr
aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
Hey guys!

I'm new to the message boards here, but not new to My Fitness Pal. I was just wondering if anybody here does weightlifting? I started out doing the program from New Rules of Lifting for Women several months ago, but have taken a break and started working out with my fiance's parents (a little background: They are beasts, and they work out during lunch hour; I'm a school teacher so decided to train with them for the summer).

Anyway, I LOVE weightlifting, and am totally convinced of the benefits of lifting. I find it to be more effective than cardio (but I do fit a little cardio into my schedule, too). I'm a woman, but I lift as heavy as I can, and am aiming not just for fat loss, but for increased strength as well.

The only frustrating thing with weightlifting is the pounds on the scale don't drop as fast. I know, I know, pounds don't matter, measurements and clothing sizes show the real difference. For some reason though, I just can't stop hating the scale (maybe I should just throw it away!).

I just thought I'd see if there's anyone else here who enjoys lifting? What kind of stuff do you do? I'm finding that the workouts from New Rules of Lifting for Women is a lot different than the workouts I'm doing with my future in-laws, but I'm all about switching it up and trying new things.

Replies

• cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    weightlifting... is... amazing...

errry day.

If your looking for a great program look up the StrongLifts 5x5 program, big full body lifts, great strength gains, easy to follow.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love to lift. I spend half of my time at the gym doing that, and I spend double that time dreaming about my future biceps haha.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    true, the pounds dont drop as fast as someone doing tons of cardio or lifting with barbie weights BUT it makes fat away melt like butter. so who cares about the scale? it just means the Earth loves you that much more and will work that much harder to keep you from floating away :laugh: one month i only lost 3 pounds but a complete clothing size :laugh:

i was doing strong lifts for awhile but i missed olympic lifts so now I'm doing starting strength. I'm thinking about joining a Crossfit gym as well
  • aamberrr
    Options
    Thanks! After the summer I'm going to finish New Rules, but thanks for the suggestion! I was wondering what to do after I finish the New Rules program.

I LOVE full body lifting, which is what NRFW really emphasizes. Squats are my favorites.

[edit: Sorry, I didn't see the "quote" button when I posted this response. Just to clear up any confusion, this was a response to cheddle's post.] :)
  • aamberrr
    Options
    true, the pounds dont drop as fast as someone doing tons of cardio or lifting with barbie weights BUT it makes fat away melt like butter. so who cares about the scale? it just means the Earth loves you that much more and will work that much harder to keep you from floating away :laugh: one month i only lost 3 pounds but a complete clothing size :laugh:

i was doing strong lifts for awhile but i missed olympic lifts so now I'm doing starting strength. I'm thinking about joining a Crossfit gym as well

Nice! If you join CrossFit, let me know. I'd love to hear feedback, as I've looked into it as well. I found a video on YouTube of Nichole from CrossFit doing overhead squats and she has since become my idol. :-P Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuULPqI-WY
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hi, Amber. I, too, enjoy strength training.

I do a Circuit Training routine for two rounds, three days a week, and for one round, three days a week: 1. Jumping Jacks (55 reps); 2. Deadlifts (8 reps); 3. Dips (8 reps); 4. Squats (8 reps); 5. Shoulder Press (8 reps); 6. Kettlebell Swings (35 reps); 7. Pull-ups (12 reps); 8. Chin-ups (12 reps); and 9. Decline Push-ups (12 reps). Between each set, I walk 0.2 miles. Between each round, I rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

I take off on Sunday and do nothing.
  • jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've also recently started NROL4W and I love it! Check out the story in this link. If it doesn't help you to realize that worrying about what the scale reads is a big waste of time, I don't know what will.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I came across this link on another MYP post from last Fall. I think every woman should read it! Good luck!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Me too!

I LOVE lifting and always max out on my last set. Have just started crossfit to fit into my routine as I was getting a little bored. Soo...I do Crossfit (intro level only) for 2 days a week and the other 3-4 days I do interval training meaning 10 min hard cardio - weights - 10 min hard cardio - weights - 10 min hard cardio - weights.

Concentrating on 1 or 2 x similar body parts per day, plus getting my cardio in. I figure with Crossfit I am getting a total body work out allowing me to specificy on the body parts I wish to improve on at the regular gym. Keeps it interesting and fingers crossed the results will speak for themselves - I am certainly starting to see some results.

Ditch the scales - they don't work for us lifters :-)

Find a new pair of jeans you want to fit into instead and make that your goal - good luck.

Add me as a friend if you like as it sounds like we have similar goals.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amber!!

Awesome to have another woman lifter around here!!

Might I direct you to another thread??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681920-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success

Also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/665012-freakin-deadlifts

I think you'll enjoy them :).
  • aamberrr
    Options
    I've also recently started NROL4W and I love it! Check out the story in this link. If it doesn't help you to realize that worrying about what the scale reads is a big waste of time, I don't know what will.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I came across this link on another MYP post from last Fall. I think every woman should read it! Good luck!

Wowwww thank you for that article! Amazing! I'm sharing this with my sister (who also has started lifting heavy :)).
  • aamberrr
    Options
    Welcome Amber!!

Awesome to have another woman lifter around here!!

Might I direct you to another thread??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681920-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success

Also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/665012-freakin-deadlifts

I think you'll enjoy them :).

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Love it. I wish I started 2 decades ago. I do mainly compound lifts. Currently following Wendler's 5/3/1.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting, and Cardio 7 days a week here if I can I don't like missing a day in the gym I aslo do weight training in the water as well Love it.. Along with Jazzercise classes as well. Always have done a lot of weight training.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVE!!!! NROLFW. I'm currently about to start Stage 3. I have definitely seen great definition in my arms......
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that when you're lifting, you muscles are retaining water for muscle repair. I like the idea of throwing the scale out, personally lol. I just finished ChaLEAN Extreme a couple of weeks ago (my profile pic is 2/3 of the way thru that program) and I just started P90X this week. I've seen better results with lifting than I did in YEARS being a cardio addict. That all being said...can you have someone hide for scale and only take it out once a month for weigh ins? You will start losing again but more importantly you're hopefully losing body fat and replacing it with lean muscle. Have you done body fat and tape measurements?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Love it. Wish I had kept up with it instead of stopping two decades ago.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We need more women like you. Feel free to add me, I train with a powerlifting champion, so it's lift hard or go home:)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    After the summer I'm going to finish New Rules, but thanks for the suggestion! I was wondering what to do after I finish the New Rules program.

I'm doing New Rules for Men. I don't know what's in the women's book, but they have a full year of workout in it.

As for your earlier question. I still do a lot of cardio, nearly everyday and lift 3 or 4 times a week. I'v got about 6 more lbs (of fat I'm tracking lean mass carefully) to go and I'll cut back on the cardio a bit, but I don't see myself stopping lifting - it's turned the clock back on my middle aged body.
  • aamberrr
    Options
    You have to remember that when you're lifting, you muscles are retaining water for muscle repair. I like the idea of throwing the scale out, personally lol. I just finished ChaLEAN Extreme a couple of weeks ago (my profile pic is 2/3 of the way thru that program) and I just started P90X this week. I've seen better results with lifting than I did in YEARS being a cardio addict. That all being said...can you have someone hide for scale and only take it out once a month for weigh ins? You will start losing again but more importantly you're hopefully losing body fat and replacing it with lean muscle. Have you done body fat and tape measurements?

I haven't done measurements, but I think I'm going to just to see how I progress. How frequently do you take measurements after the initial first time?
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights since I was 10...have always loved it. Power lifted through high school and college. Trained a high school power lifting team (and won at state several years) for 5 years before I had kids...and then nothing. lol. I would lift on and off but didn't get serious about lifting again until this past year. I tried p90x, and really liked that, but it took FOREVER to complete one workout (it was hard to find an hour and half everyday). I circuit trained through the school year (also a teacher), and am half way through stage one of new rules for women...I like that I can do a whole workout in about 30 minutes. If I walk to the gym, I have a complete workout! And I love to feel strong...now if I could just get the meathead off of the seated rowing machine while he is between sets, life would be beautiful!