Zero- or Low-calorie Snacks?

Options
I am not a three meals a day kind of girl, and I think many well-researched dieters would agree that you should fuel your body every two to four hours with at least a palm-ful of food. Anyway, I've seen it suggested that when we do eat three meals a day, they should maybe be 500-calorie meals, so I'm trying to think of things to eat in between each meal (or in meals, so I can have heavier-calorie snacks) that won't take my daily calorie count much higher than 1500 or 1600. Anyone have some cool ideas or advice?

Replies

• Sarah_thefatmom
    Options
    Any raw veggies and fruits are great to snack on!
  • Sarah_thefatmom
    Options
    I also like to grab one of those "100 cal packs"
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    celery with cream cheese
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Definitely fruits, mandarin oranges/clementines are only 35 cals each. If you bake, look into Jamie Eason's cinnamon swirl protein bread, it's only 55 cals a serving. And if you have a sweet tooth, sugar free Jello is 10 cals - add on some fat free Cool Whip for a total of 35 cals. :)
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese is 35 calories
    2% cheese is 50 calories a stick
    handful of any berry
    1 oz of nuts is probably under 100 (I know my pistachios at 1.5 oz are 120)
    many wraps out there for 100 calories- cut in half and spread laughing cow and sprouts and tomato and its under 100.

Change the plan from 500 per meal to 400 and enjoy more food every few hours instead of trying to figure out whats under 100 or lower.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cucumber salad
    Grape tomatoes halved and tossed in balsamic vinegar
    Baby carrots (can dip in hummus or yogurt dip)
    Apple with natural pb
    whole grain crackers with low fat cheese
    Greek yogurt with sliced almonds
    Egg whites cooked with salsa (I had this for dinner when I ran out of calories today)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules - you can pick any eating plan (from 6 small meals to 2 large meals to 1 large meal to liquid diets to water fasts) and you will find someone online who is trying to convince you it is the only way you will ever lose weight.
    I think that all you can do is experiment to see what suits your body and your lifestyle - you have to find a way of healthy eating that is going to be sustainable for the long term for YOU, not for anyone else.

In your situation, if you want to eat large meals and not snack all the time - then just not plan your meals ahead of time, factoring in enough calories for a snack that you find satisfying? Or no snack at all - see how you feel eating this way?

There are lots of things you can snack on for under 100 cals (some examples: fruit, cheese and crackers, nuts, hommus and veggies, a boiled egg, skim milk latte....). This way you could have 2 x 500 cals meals, 1 x 400 cal meal and 2 x 100 cal snacks. Or break it up any way that makes you feel good.

And, just to hop on my soapbox..... I don't believe there can be any such thing as a 0 cal snack - if a product truly has no cals it can't be a food, all it becomes is a dummy (US: pacifier) to keep your mouth busy so you think you are eating, but it's not going to give you any energy (i.e.. calories) or nutritional benefit, in which case there is no point in eating it.
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay so I will resist the urge to say air is a low calorie snack...I will instead be a productive member of the community and offer the following suggestions:

Emerald 100 calorie pack Cocoa Roast Almonds are insane..I love them so much it's worth cutting the calories from a meal just so I can sneak in an extra pack..

6 ounces of fat free Greek yogurt with a couple of packets of Splenda is really yummy and really filling..and if you get one with a high protein content you're gonna feel fuller longer..

Of course the Shiritaki Noodles are a good thing to at least try..they're zero calories but I eat the Tofu ones and they're only 20 calories a serving...

I love Fiber One Brownies or Bars cause they don't have a ton of sugar but they do have fiber so again for about 90 calories you get a filling snack..

Hope that helps!!
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BUMP !!
  • bigcity_tinydreams
    Options
    dill pickles are zero calories, sometimes 5 per spear!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    dill pickles are zero calories, sometimes 5 per spear!

Well.... they aren't really 0 calories - its just that your labelling laws allow companies to state 0 cals per serve if it is very low. As long as you are only eating a few at a time, that works fine, but it doesn't mean that an entire jar contains no cals at all.

But, they certainly are low in cals and very tasty too!
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like pickles. My favorites have just been released this month. You have to try Vlasic Farmer's Garden. They are the freshest, homemade, tasting pickles from a store that I have ever had. I work for Vlasic and was lucky to get a free jar. YUMMY!!!
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is the laughing cow wedges. I prefer light garlic and herb flavored which is 35 cals per wedge. Add that to 8 reduced fat wheat thins you get a 100 calorie snack!