Fruit & Veggies

Options
I am new so I would like your opinions. Should I track all the raw fruit & veggies I eat into my daily calories? I know that in weight watchers, they are considered "free" so I have been leaving them off my tracking for the most part, except if its a snack, but not adding it if I have some salad greens or cantelope with my dinner, for instance.

What do you think?

Replies

• wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I view it as calories are calories, whether they are from a cup of strawberries or a quick nature valley bar. I log EVERYTHING. If I were to cut off the veggies I include with my dinner my protein and carbs and even the calories would be off.

But honestly: do what works best for you!(:
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers too, and had the same thought. I have decided not to track my raw veggies, but I still track cooked veggies and fruits. I think you can do it how you have been doing it, and it will work great! Maybe do it for a month or so and see where your weight loss is. If it's slower than you expected then start counting all of the calories. Personally my caloric intake on this plan is 1200. The added veggies that I don't count help me stay full, and I think will help me stay on this plan.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers too, and had the same thought. I have decided not to track my raw veggies, but I still track cooked veggies and fruits. I think you can do it how you have been doing it, and it will work great! Maybe do it for a month or so and see where your weight loss is. If it's slower than you expected then start counting all of the calories. Personally my caloric intake on this plan is 1200. The added veggies that I don't count help me stay full, and I think will help me stay on this plan.

thanks, I think the same thing - they're the best thing to eat to help tide me over so its better to eat vegs than waste the calories somewhere else!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Some fruits have a lot of calories, like bananas and oranges, so I would definitely want to log them!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yes, put fruits in your food diary for sure.
    Veggies aren't QUITE as important but I still log mine. I estimate on those though. Especially if I have steamed veggies - I split them with my boyfriend and we have extra ... I don't know exactly how much I had of each. So even if we had broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, and cauliflower, I might log 1 full serving of broccoli and 1 full serving of cabbage or something. It's approximate but it shows that I had the veggies!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I track fruit and veggies just like everything else - they can easily come to 300 - 400 cals a day and I wouldn't ignore 400 calories of any other kind of food, there is no reason to ignore fruit and veggies.

Having said that, I'm not obsessive about calories in things like a mixed salad or roast veggies - I just have a recipe in the system for salad (no dressing) that comes to about 40 cals, one for roast veggies (90 cals) and a number of others so I'll usually use one of these instead of measuring exactly how much capsicum vs how much tomato in each meal.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think you should log them, just for increased accuracy.
    It is all just an estimate, but the more accurate you can be, the better :)
  • AFuneralClown
    Options
    Log them. A banana is 100 calories, and if it counts as zero points, you could eat all the bananas you wanted (in an extreme case) and cause you to gain weight. Read the book Chubster, or part of it. The author goes into detail why not counting fruit and vegetables is a very bad idea.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Track everything. Fruits and vegetables do have calories. Some quite a few.