Gyms: friends or foes?

Options
I was wondering how far along were you on your weight loss when you started at a gym? How was it when you first started? I'm really wanting to but... I'm beyond nervous. Haha I'm still pretty heavy and awkward with working out BUT I want to optimize my work outs and spice things up, and I feel like a gym could assist in that.

Any advice on getting over gym nerves? D:

Replies

• koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    If its a good gym there should be no problems. When i started i walked in there with the attitude of hey we are all here for the same reason, to exercise, be healthy and fit. There will be the occasional jerk in there, but just take it with a grain of salt nobody will slight you for it, your trying right! so go hold your head high kick some *** ;)
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If its a good gym there should be no problems. When i started i walked in there with the attitude of hey we are all here for the same reason, to exercise, be healthy and fit. There will be the occasional jerk in there, but just take it with a grain of salt nobody will slight you for it, your trying right! so go hold your head high kick some *** ;)
    Thank you!!! (: the only thing the gym near me has had been marked for the jerk off's who work out there -.- ugh haha
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You're paying for the convenience of having workout equipment,

however if you want to lose weight, then you can use body weight excersizes at home, and pay nothing =]
  • wildwhisper96
    Options

however if you want to lose weight, then you can use body weight excersizes at home, and pay nothing =]
    Being a broke student, I think that sounds like the best option Haha (just looked up gym prices...)
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    People go to the gym to work out, not to people watch or pass judgement on other gym goers. There's a few exceptions to this rule of course, but in general, people keep to themselves or with their workout buddies at the gym. If you are feeling judged, it's probably just your own insecurities and not anything real.You should just go and enjoy yourself and not worry about other people. Everyone is there for the same reason - just like you, they want to be healthier.
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Being a broke student, I think that sounds like the best option Haha (just looked up gym prices...)

Does your school have a gym that you can use? I go to a university that has a fairly nice gym that is free for students (or I am already paying for the gym as part of my tuition or other mandatory fees). Just a thought.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    if you're low on cash and motivated, try doing a workout DVD (I've really liked the Jillian Michaels ones like 30 Day Shred), or start by just walking outside, and build yourself up to running. But you don't need anything for the DVD except maybe light weights if you want and a mat.

Personally I'm at the gym and I don't notice anyone around me, but I guess it depends where you go.

Good luck!
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If I don't go to the gym, I don't do exercise other than walking to and from work, and even that isn't every day. I actually started going to the gym as part of a stress mangement plan (I'm a litigation lawyer, stressful by its nature). I went and visited 3 or 4 gyms, walked around, talked to staff, observed patrons, and then chose the one I felt most comfortable with.

The gym I chose includes regular consutlations with the personal trainers in the membership - something I used to use a lot, but less so recently, due to some health issues limiting the range of exercise I could do. Part of the service includes tailored work outs, where you get to choose your goals and the PT designs a plan to help you achieve it. It also incudes regular check ups where your weight aadn measurements are taken and compared to previous results.

This gym is the right fit for me, and I think tha'ts most important.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm at the gym and I don't notice anyone around me, but I guess it depends where you go.

Good luck!

I find most people have thier headphones on and are in their own world.
  • wildwhisper96
    Options

Does your school have a gym that you can use? I go to a university that has a fairly nice gym that is free for students (or I am already paying for the gym as part of my tuition or other mandatory fees). Just a thought.
    I'm actually still in high school, and we do have a weight room, BUT i think it's only for the football players-.- I plan to ask though. School hasn't started yet though.
  • wildwhisper96
    Options
    if you're low on cash and motivated, try doing a workout DVD (I've really liked the Jillian Michaels ones like 30 Day Shred), or start by just walking outside, and build yourself up to running. But you don't need anything for the DVD except maybe light weights if you want and a mat.

Good luck!
    YES! I love the DVD's and Zumba classes at a local studio, I just wanted to start strengthing too and I've only come across cardio videos D:
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    U know what. I love the gym. It's good motivation. At first, it can be intimidating but once u get in your own groove, it's more empowering. Plus I think watching some ppl do their little "quirky" moves is more inspiring and motivating. So dnt worry, do your thing!
  • wildwhisper96
    Options
    U know what. I love the gym. It's good motivation. At first, it can be intimidating but once u get in your own groove, it's more empowering. Plus I think watching some ppl do their little "quirky" moves is more inspiring and motivating. So dnt worry, do your thing!
    I think I will!! ^.^ Thank you! (:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how far along were you on your weight loss when you started at a gym?
    I was at my heaviest when I joined a gym

How was it when you first started?
    Honestly, really daunting. I had never really done any work in a gym before, and was really nervous. Part of that for me was the expectation is that I should have known what I was doing - just cos I'm a guy...

Honestly once I started though, all that went out the window. I looked at a few different gyms and picked the one that suited me best (both in terms of location and atmosphere within the club). Ask the trainers to help you set up a program and make sure you are using good form - they will be happy to (if they are not, change gyms!)

I was really worried about the fact that people were judging me and thinking I was fat and stupid. I now know that is far from the case. When I see someone coming into the gym that doesn't know what they are doing, it literally makes me smile. That little buzz that one more person has lifted their butt from the couch and taking control of their health!

Any advice on getting over gym nerves?

As for advice: take some time, shop around (if that's an option for you), talk to the gym owner/trainers if you can. Get some sort of idea of what your goals are (hint: it should always include some strength training), and hit youtube for some technique guides (Mark Ripptoe is a good place to start).

I hope that helps a little. :drinker:
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Visit gyms that are not out of the way for you (if you have to go out of your way, you won't go). And just get a feel for the way people are at the gym. Are they dressed up in the latest workout clothes? Do the women wear full makeup to work out? Does it seem more a meet market than a workout? Then you might be uncomfortable there.

Are the people there dressed in comfortable workout gear and working hard on their tasks? They're likely not to really pay attention to the other folks working out. They're there for the same reason you are, to get and stay fit. And they won't judge you harshly, they'll be supportive. (A basketball coach who works out at my gym ran into me the other day and asked how my workouts are going. Then just encouraged me to be consistent. It really made my morning.) And talk to the folks who work at the gym. Are they friendly? Accepting? Knowledgeable? You'll need their help to learn how to use various pieces of equipment and it's always nice if the people there are watching your progress and being supportive. It's just an extra boost.
  • wildwhisper96
    Options
    I was wondering how far along were you on your weight loss when you started at a gym?
    I was at my heaviest when I joined a gym

How was it when you first started?
    Honestly, really daunting. I had never really done any work in a gym before, and was really nervous. Part of that for me was the expectation is that I should have known what I was doing - just cos I'm a guy...

Honestly once I started though, all that went out the window. I looked at a few different gyms and picked the one that suited me best (both in terms of location and atmosphere within the club). Ask the trainers to help you set up a program and make sure you are using good form - they will be happy to (if they are not, change gyms!)

I was really worried about the fact that people were judging me and thinking I was fat and stupid. I now know that is far from the case. When I see someone coming into the gym that doesn't know what they are doing, it literally makes me smile. That little buzz that one more person has lifted their butt from the couch and taking control of their health!

Any advice on getting over gym nerves?

As for advice: take some time, shop around (if that's an option for you), talk to the gym owner/trainers if you can. Get some sort of idea of what your goals are (hint: it should always include some strength training), and hit youtube for some technique guides (Mark Ripptoe is a good place to start).

I hope that helps a little. :drinker:
    Oh my thank you! This reply gave me major hope :3 I'm roughly 22 pounds down from my heaviest and STILL amazingly awkward when it comes to working out, and I thought a gym could really help get that out of me. This reply is giving me hope I'll survive ;o haha
  • SarahSpasmodic
    SarahSpasmodic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my gym. I was doing pretty good when I first started dieting but around Easter time I started to slack off a bit. My gym opened in June and it's been so great for me. I started out slow on the treadmills and now I'm doing a total body workout. I just pop my headphones on and tune everything else out. But so far the people I've met have been so friendly.

I decided to join because I needed motivation (I'm paying for it, I won't waste my money) and I needed better equipment. (The Wii Fit and stationary bike just weren't cutting it anymore.) I know some people who hate the idea of a gym though.

I actually look forward to my workouts now though. (It helps that I can get a massage afterwards!)

I'm at a Planet Fitness. I've heard a lot of people bash the place but I personally find it to be a great environment.
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I loved going to the gym, it used to be my "ME TIME"... but with having a baby and now working opposite schedules of my husband in order to not have to pay for daycare I have no idea when I would be able to go. I will NOT leave my 8 month old in those horrid gym daycare centers. LA fitness pages you if your kid cries anyways and knowing my boy he would be crying the WHOLE TIME.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Check out a couple of gyms near you and talk to the people that work there. Have them show you around and have a list of questions to ask them before hand. Any good gym will give you a free trial( I give free week passes for people to use) so you can see if it may be a good fit. We also give free personal training sessions at our gym to get people on track and to work on a personalized program. It's a scary step for some to go to a gym but just remember that everyone is there for the same reason. Good luck.:smile: