Please don't attack me- I just want support/ advice

Options
I have a dilemma and my internal judgement tends to be off but this is my situation:

My son, Lachlan (3 yo), started getting sick today and by the time I put him to bed it was clear that he is likely not going to recover fully by morning. My first thought is simple and innate: stay home with him, care for him until he's better. Duh.

BUT... I have an eating disorder and Friday is the only day I am able to participate in treatment. Tomorrow I have doctors (for blood work/vitals), dietician, therapy, and case-worker (I'm trying to get insurance to enter in-patient) appointments.

Again, like I said above,my instinct is to just cancel them and be with my son.... Typically he goes to a small home day care while I take care of these things. A family member offered to watch him in the morning and my daycare provider (who actually lives in my backyard, haha) offered to "watch" him while he's napping because the family member has to get back to work. I would be home before he wakes from his nap.

So... I feel like a *terrible* mother if I go to these appointments, because I want to be home with him and take care of him. And I feel like a *terrible* mother if I don't go because it's yet another excuse to put off dealing with my eating disorder.

Why can I not see a clear choice here?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. But, like I said in the title... Don't attack me for having an eating disorder. I didn't choose to have the thoughts that compel my actions. And I don't want to spend my time tonight defending myself.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    go to your appointment. you have people who have offered to look after him and like you said he'll probably be sleep the entire time anyway.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In order to be a good mom you need to look after yourself first.

If he is very sick it would be different, but I think you should go. The snuggle up in the afternoon and have a sick day 'movie'.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Take care of yourself so that you can better take care of your son. You have people willing to support you so you can get to your appointments, allow them to help you. Hope he feels better quick.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You can't support anyone untill you support yourself! Go to your appointment and don't let any one make you feel bad for it, it's the right thing to do
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Go to your appointments. You need to. <3
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options

If he is very sick it would be different, but I think you should go. The snuggle up in the afternoon and have a sick day 'movie'.

^^This. You must take care of yourself first, I completely agree with this post. Good luck! I hope you have a great day tomorrow and that your son gets better soon!
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Go the the appointments. You gotta take care of you too. And being a good mom is making sure you're healthy too. Your son is feeling unwell, and yes, I know you just wanna cuddle him and such, he'll get over it in a day, these appointments help ensure you're there for a lifetime.

I vote for go to the appointments, because you have support who will watch him for you while you're gone and if you do have an eating disorder and these appointments are there to help you with that!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Go to the appointments! He's not gonna feel abandoned, you aren't declaring that you don't care about him by taking care of yourself.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I hope you stayed home. You felt guilty because you love your son more than yourself. That's okay, I get that. But you have to be healthy in order to be there for him - to adulthood. Cause he's not going to stop wanting or needing you once he turns 18. You're in this for the long haul.

And secondly - you're worth it. Love yourself too. I hope you went, and glad you asked for advice. :) Bless you and your son, and I hope he's feeling better.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Okay so that's pretty clearly a unanimous vote. I was worried/ hoping this would be the general consensus. Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be going to the appointments.
  • minnie22
    minnie22 Posts: 60
    Options
    I agree with everyone go to the appointment, you can't look after your son if you don't look after yourself, you have people to help look after him while your gone so don't feel terrible he's got you when you get back (hugs)
  • trouble169
    Options
    In order to be a good mother you have to look after yourself too. I understand your dilemma i have had the same dilemma on whether I should go to work or not because of a huge presentation. Trust me, you need to trust your own instincts on this. If you think this is just a bug and that he will sleep then go to your appointment and take care of yourself 1st. If this was a life threatening thing we probably wouldn't be having this conversation but I would definitely say be with your child. We have to be a in sync with ourselves in order to be in sync with our children. Trust your own instincts when it comes to your child and you will be just fine. Do not let outside influences influence you because you will go insane trying to do the right thing. Only you know your child trust yourself. Hope that helps and congratulations on taking the step in order to be ok with yourself!! Hope your appointment goes well.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I hope your appointment went well and your little one is on the mend. :smile:
  • RCSketch
    RCSketch Posts: 9
    Options
    Definitely don't feel guilty about going to the appointment. You're probably more sick right now than he is. Take care of yourself so you can take care of others. Good luck with everything. You can do this.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you don't go to the appointments and take care of yourself, your son won't have a mother around to take care of him.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If he's well enough to stay home, he's well enough for you to get your treatment.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options

the above is true, to be a good Mum you need to be well. It sounds like you have support and people who have offered to help!! Go to your appointments and tackle the eating disorder. Don't beat yourself up, you are doing your best as are we all...

Maybe rent a special DVD and treat him to his favourite tea if he's up to it, if not loads of cuddles when you get back...
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hope you make it to your appointment today! You need to do this --- for him!
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you dont take care of yourself

you will not be able to take care of him.

Unless he needs to be in the hospital then go to your appointments.

Please get yourself better for your little boy.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. And have to say well done.
    Just an insight from a Dad, your boy will not remember the afternoon you were not there; he will be safe with the people you have trusted to care for him. He is loved and secure, and needs his mum/dad whatever. To do right by him, you have to do right for you. As parents we have to take care of our kids and to do that properly we have to actually be there.
    As my daughter was growing up, my only prayer was to have one more year with her, when she was two I wanted to live long enough so she’d remember me. When she was five I wanted to live long enough so she’d remember me taking her to school. Now she’s a teen I want to live so I can see her graduate university.
    We have to be there to make a difference, and by going to your appointment, you’ve taken a determined step towards that goal.
    Do whatever it take to live for your son.