Help! Tell me what you lose each week?

Options
Ive been on my journey since May. I started off really well and lost 12 lbs in my first month, Iam now only loosing, on average 1lb per week. I was on 1200 calories per day but recently have increased that to 1350 -1500, after I stopped loosing weight. (on advice i read from mfp) I have 60 still to lose and feelI 1lb per week is too slow! Im I being unrealistic to think I should be loosing 3lb per week or is it even possible when you have a big weight loss goal, like me? So tell me what you have been loosing, on average ...any tips would be fantastic. Feel free to take a look at my diary. Cheers!

Replies

• Mommahatch
    Options
    I think 1 lb a week is great! Losing it too fast is not healthy, and even gaining a pound every now and then isn't a bad thing, as long as you are working out and increasing your overall health and strength! Muscle weighs more than fat, at least that is what I have been told. Yes, it is possible to lose 3 lb. a week, but I think "any" pounds lost per week is something to celebrate! Good luck on your journey.
  • brooke_young08
    Options
    3lbs per week is a LOT!! Honestly, slow weight loss is best (1-2 lbs per week). It is MUCH easier to maintain once you get to your goal weight!

I don't have a lot to lose, so I am aiming for 1 lb per week, and after 1 week, that's what I have lost :) Good luck!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is right on track. I have lost 6 pounds and been on this site for 40 days!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I lose 2lbs. Some weeks I lose nothing. I just keep on trucking because I know in the end it will all come off.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i've only been on MFP for one week and have lost 2lbs.
    1-2lbs is the safe recommended amount per week. so you're good. it does take patience.
    you kind of don't want to lose weight too fast either. some of the drawbacks from losing too fast is having hanging skin and then only to gain the weight all back amongst other drawbacks.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    You are doing great this is a slow process I hardly ever lose more than a pound a week and those are good weeks I started in May of 2008 and keep changing my life style and making more progress I never hit a time goal the first time I set it but I have hit all my goals eventually but the last 3 goals I have and still going.
    You can do this and if you do it slow and steady and keep improving your way of living you will only have to do it once
    I lost thousands of pounds over the years and gained them back lost 4 or 5 pounds a week sometimes but until I really changed never maintained it
    Good luck and be patient ( yes I know thats hard sometimes)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1lb a week may be slow but it's healthy. I understand the impatience but if you are losing a steady 1lb a week then that's amazing. Muscle does not weight more than fat. It's just denser than fat, so you may weigh the same but your inches will shrink so measure your inches and ignore the scale. Also, you could try lowering your carb intake. But please don't get discouraged with 1lb a week. That is really amazing!
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    losing 3 - 4 pounds a week since I started in may. doing nothing drastic, just healthy eating, exercise and no cheating and gallons upon gallons of water :P
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary.

Do you always log your water intake? Or do you not drink your 8 a day?

Also, it looks like you sometimes go over on your fat intake. Not by much so it may not matter.

Not to mention, how much do you exercise?

Plus 1lb a week is slow, but slower is sometimes better. At least it's moving. Sometimes we just have to be patient. Think about it. 1lb a week is 4 lbs a month. Which in turn is 48 lbs a year. Losing too fast can cause flabby skin.
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    1 pound a week is about right. That's roughly what I've been losing. I know you want it to come off quickly, but remember a slower loss usually results in a more permanent loss. That's because you are getting more practice living (and eating) a healthier lifestyle. Also, you don't want the weight to come off so quickly that your body doesn't have the chance to "catch up." You don't want to lose a bunch of weight quickly then be stuck with sagging skin everywhere. You can eliminate some of that by losing slowing and allowing your skin to naturally "pull back" as much as it can. Be patient with your weight loss. You'll be better off in the end.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is not too slow. It's just right. If you lose too fast you will have more of a problem with loose skin. I joined in January. At first it was a pound a week or even two. Then I hit a three month plateau. I now eat around 1500 to 2000 cals a day. I am now losing around 1/2 pound a week and I am fine with that. ...What kind of exercise are you doing? I run a lot and circuit train with some weights and body resistance.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I usually like to go for for 1% of body weight per week. Not sure where I picked up that number, but it's stuck with me.

So if you're 200+ pound, about 2 pounds a week works well. I'm currently 164 so I want to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week.
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I lose about 5 pounds per month. My usual pattern is 2weeks at the same weight, and then lose the 5 lbs. in the other 2 weeks. I am happy with that pattern as long as I am gradually getting lighter. I figure a slow and steady loss will be less likely to be regained and will give my skin time to adjust so I don't get saggy. I gave myself a goal of losing my 60 lbs in a year, so I could have time to get used to a new way of eating and exercising. I don't want to ever have to do this again.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My average is about 1.5 lbs per week. However, my weight fluctuates quite a bit, so it's really just an estimation. I lost roughly 6 lbs the first week, but gained 2 in the last and lost those 2 plus some again this week. It's complicated.... Also, I started with a lot less weight to lose (around 160 lbs). As for my stats, I work out at least 5 days a week for ~25 - 45 minutes and eat around 1300 kcals net.

So, from what I can say about my progress, I'd say 2 lbs should be possible. I'm not sure about 3 lbs, because that is a hell lot of calories to save in a week and you don't want to burn much muscle (remember, one lb of fat equals roughly 3500 kcal).... The more you lose, the more likely it is muscle is part of it, and that's not desirable.

You already get more protein than MFP recommends, or so it seems, so that's good. Do you do cardio or strength training? The latter is definitely recommendable, and the first if you like to eat a bit more (I know I do, hehehe). If you don't have weights or a gym membership I recommend Jillian Michaels' programs, like the 30 Day Shred.

However, strength training can be a bit complicated, because the scale might not budge. Your pants, however, will, so you should consider taking messurments if you didn't start already. Also, before and after shots are supposed to motivate a bunch (not sure, I only have one before I took when I started to up my protein, haven't taken a second picture yet).

So far, however, your progress is very good, so keep it up~!

Edit: Ahh, I see you do some strength training, so that's great~ But you seem to be under your calorie-goal quite some times. If you're set for 2 lbs loss already, there's no point in going under what MFP tells you to. Perhaps try eating back those excercise calories? Give it two or three weeks and see what happens~? I know I tried that with upping protein and while I don't lose more, I definitely feel better~! See it as some sort of experiment, it's worth a try~ <3