Half marathon and food help!

Options
Hi,

So I am running a half marathon on September 30, which is very exciting but a little intimidating. I'm currently running 30 miles a week and mainly sticking to hills and maintaining a steady pace as I try to increase my mileage. So far the longest run I've done is 7 miles.

I am starting to suffer with pain in my legs, in particular one knee. I stretch half-way through and after my run but was wondering if there are any exercises I should be doing to reduce impact on my joints. Or foods I should be eating. All of my running is done on roads.

My other question is about food. I usually get up at 5.30am and despite how much I know eating breakfast would improve my run etc it is just not going to happen (I run from 5.40 - 6.45 and have to leave for work by 7, then eat breakfast when I arrive at 7.30).

I'm currently eating date cake and a few treats after dinner to fuel the next morning's run. It seems to be working so far (I never feel hungry when I'm running) but I was just wondering whether this is the best option? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you could get up 5 or 10 minutes earlier, I think a half a banana (not super heavy) or a tbs of peanut butter might help.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    How many days at what distance are you running? Are you following a running plan, or just going out for a run?

How old are your shoes? Did you get them from a store that specializes in running shoes? Do you have inserts?
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I agree. As you up your mileage you really need some fuel (a.k.a. food) before you run. You will need to eat before your Half so you need to b experimenting now and finding what is going to work for you.

In regards to joint pain, i would recommend a glucosamine supplement if u r not already taking one.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I actually run better on a mostly empty stomach. If I have to get something in my body, I drink a couple sips of a gatorade G2.
    IF I eat a meal before a run, my stomach cramps up.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I have completed two half marathons this year. Are you following a program? I highly recommend following a training program.
    How many miles have you put on your shoes?
    What type of knee pain do you have? Does the pain extend from the knee up the back of the thigh? Is it under the knee cap? Is is to the side?
    Foam rollers help after a run. I highly recommend getting one. Also, ice your knee when you are done, and make sure you have some sort of good protein within 30 minutes after your run. Chocolate milk is good, or a protein recovery drink.
    Do you snack on your run? How well are you hydrating?
    Any runs over 5 miles I like to make sure I have gu or gu-chews. Keeping properly hydrated and replacing your potassium are also important.
    Why are you running so many hills? Is this half hilly? hills are really hard on the knees, especially the downhill. I do hill for training runs but not all the time.
    If you want to message me, I can give you some advice. I have worked with a trainer on both half marathons and can offer some good advice since I have a bad knee and recovered from a knee injury.
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually will bring some Gu and Snickers bar(s) on my long runs (marathon training). My coach has me consuming about 250 calories every hour or so. The Gu comes in around 100 calories and the Snickers is about 270-280.

Also, agree on maybe eating a banana before you go out. Or bake a batch of muffins and freeze. When you want to eat one, heat it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry while running, then keep with what you are doing. Everyone is different. I don't like to eat before I run, even on my long 20 mile runs. If I eat, I will have bathroom issues during the run. I drink some Gatorade along the way, but that's it.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Cross training is key to running...it helps to strengthen and prevent injury. If you go to a gym, take a fitness class 3x a week, spinning, kickboxing, etc and then hit some weights...if you are at home do squats, lunges, side lunges, box jumps, speed skaters, curstey lunges, etc...they all help to strenghten the knees and legs. Don't forget upper body and core work too...

Also, mix up your runs...do intervals, tempo runs, recovery runs, run flat road, run hills and of course your long runs...increase your long run by 10% each week. I like to do 13 miles about a month before my race just to give myself the mental boost that I can actually do it.

As to food,i f what is working for you, works than don't worry about it. Your body will let you know if it needs a change in nutriton for fuel. I can't eat a lot before I run, usually only a banana or plain oatmeal (and of course coffee). You will burn through carbs, so having that ratio set higher for your macros is a good thing.

Most of all, just have fun with it!
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue when I train for my half marathons (once every other year). I've discovered the for me, it is because of the way the road slopes. In Wisconsin, the road peaks in the middle and tapers off toe each side to allow for snow and ice to fall away from the pavement. That's great, but it means that the leg on the inside of the road is also taking a shorter stride. The only way I can help this is to make sure at elast half of my run is done on sidewalks or trails, use a treadmill occassionally (tough I HATE it) or run on the wrong side of the road - which I try to avoid.

As far as exercises go, I work with some atheltic trainers and physical therapists who have given me suggestions, mainly on stretches. Make sure your hamstrings aren't too tight, which can affect your knees and other joints. Foam rollers are a great idea!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious about your training schedule. I run half marathons regularly and honestly the only time I hit the 30 mile mark is about 3 weeks before the actual race. Everything else averages around the 27-29 mile mark and that includes a 11-13 mile run on one day.

Perhaps you're running too often?

Your shoes are also a factor. New ones are recommended every 500 or so miles and fitting is important.

In regards to food, I run in a fasted state. If i'm going over 6 miles, I will pack a carb source with me and eat it after 6-7 miles (i like GU, but there are other options out there) . For race days, I'll sometimes have 1/2 a luna bar or 1/2 a banana about an hour before the start since you usually are standing around for a while before the actual race begins and I tend to get hungry.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon in Jan.

For your knee trouble. Where does your foot strike the ground? A heel strike can cause knee,hip,and shin pain. I had terrible shin splints and changed my foot strike and went to a lighter shoe. NO more pain:o)

I eat a small piece of fruit,banana,peach,strawberries and coffee and water before my runs in the morning. For your longer runs start taking electrolytes drinks with you. You'll need it. Or go out with your car and find a place to stash your drink somewhere in the middle of your run to retrieve when you get there.

Happy running!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    My running program has me doing two to three 25-45 minutes runs during the week with a long run on the weekend. On my off days I cross train. You might be running too much. I don't hit my 7 mile run until late in the 12 week program and my peak run is only 10 miles, with two tapering down runs before I even get to race day. I encourage you to look up running programs. Jeff Galloway has some good ones, and I use one provided by Women's Running magazine.

You might be just doing too much too soon.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation, so little time. :smile:

I'll address some of the things said in the other replies first.

You don't need water for a run of an hour to 90 minutes. If you want it, by all means take it, but your body doesn't need it. The human body can survive for up to 3 days without water. A 90 minute run isn't going to cause your body to shut down from dehydration. Same thing goes with electrolyte drinks. You don't need them, but use them if you wish. edit Make sure you are hydrating all day, every day.

You don't need carbohydrate fuel for runs from an hour to 90 minutes. The body stores enough glycogen to carry you for that amount of time. If you want to use in-run carbohydrate fueling, go for it. I think it trains the body to use that fuel instead of the glycogen. I subscribe to the deprivation method of training. I don't use gels (or similar items) in training on a regular basis. I do a few training runs with them to make sure they don't hurt my stomach.
    Hi,

So I am running a half marathon on September 30, which is very exciting but a little intimidating. I'm currently running 30 miles a week and mainly sticking to hills and maintaining a steady pace as I try to increase my mileage. So far the longest run I've done is 7 miles.
    Why are you running hills all the time? Hills are a hard workout. Your body could probably use some easy running on a flatter surface. Hills are speed work in disguise and take longer to recover from, even if you are doing them at an easy pace.
    I am starting to suffer with pain in my legs, in particular one knee. I stretch half-way through and after my run but was wondering if there are any exercises I should be doing to reduce impact on my joints. Or foods I should be eating. All of my running is done on roads.
    Please describe the pain in the knee. Inside, outside, back, front, top, bottom? Does it hurt all the time or only when you are running? Does it start hurting at a certain time in your run or when you are going uphill or downhill?
    My other question is about food. I usually get up at 5.30am and despite how much I know eating breakfast would improve my run etc it is just not going to happen (I run from 5.40 - 6.45 and have to leave for work by 7, then eat breakfast when I arrive at 7.30).

I'm currently eating date cake and a few treats after dinner to fuel the next morning's run. It seems to be working so far (I never feel hungry when I'm running) but I was just wondering whether this is the best option? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    If it's working for you, don't change it

Edit: formatting, spelling and addition noted in p3.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm also running a half marathon on September 30th! :) I have found, for myself, I run better on a empty stomach or one with very little food...so if I feel I need it I will have a banana before a run! As for water, I make sure I hydrate constantly....so far I haven't needed water on a run.

Again, for myself, I have found that stretching before a run leaves my muscles tight and achy during my run...so I start out slow to get them warmed up BUT I always do yoga after every run to stretch the tightness away! Plus I foam roll my IT Bands (my problem area).

Im shocked you are already at 30 miles for the week, I feel like maybe I am not doing enough :) this week I have 16 miles under my belt! So maybe it is too much too soon...that is how my IT Band problems started. :)

Good luck on your race and I hope you get the answwers you need! :)
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What Carson said.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious about your training schedule. I run half marathons regularly and honestly the only time I hit the 30 mile mark is about 3 weeks before the actual race. Everything else averages around the 27-29 mile mark and that includes a 11-13 mile run on one day.

^^This.... If you are running 30 miles a week and your max is 7 then you are running too often IMO. I have a half marathon in 3 weeks and my highest weekly output so far has been 25 and that was with an 11 mile run, and no shorter speed oriented training. Obviously, this is just me, but I am following a schedule, and from all my experience (two dozen or so half marathons, and 2 fulls) this is a pretty typical schedule to train by.

As far as food goes. I eat a small bowl of oatmeal before my weekend long runs, and I fuel with GU Chomps. Half a pack before I start, and if I'm running for more than an hour and a half I take the other half WITH WATER a mile over halfway.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

^^This.... If you are running 30 miles a week and your max is 7 then you are running too often IMO. I have a half marathon in 3 weeks and my highest weekly output so far has been 25 and that was with an 11 mile run, and no shorter speed oriented training. Obviously, this is just me, but I am following a schedule, and from all my experience (two dozen or so half marathons, and 2 fulls) this is a pretty typical schedule to train by.

As far as food goes. I eat a small bowl of oatmeal before my weekend long runs, and I fuel with GU Chomps. Half a pack before I start, and if I'm running for more than an hour and a half I take the other half WITH WATER a mile over halfway.

My HM training cycles goes up to 70 miles per week. Not everyone is going to have the same schedule or run the same mileage. The OP hasn't given us any background on how long she has been running, only that she is running hills and is up to 7 miles.

ETA: 7 miles for a long run is less than 25% of the total weekly mileage too, so it sounds reasonable from that perspective.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would "eat" something before running. Maybe drink a protein drink or just eat a banana? You do need to get some fuel into your body before hitting the gym. I typically have a small protein shake or smoothie before I hit the gym at 6am or else I lag. When I walk my 1/2 marathons I typically would eat a little toast with some peanutbutter on it OR a protein bar or a smoothie. Just depends but it helps.

I would recommend getting fitted for shoes and do it NOW as you want time to break them in (if your current shoes are too old or not working right).

Can't help with the knee pain sorry.

Good luck!
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great information Carson - love reading all that you write.

I'm no expert but have been running distances since 2001. I've had my fair share of pains and I agree with Momof3and3 - my pain went away after I started cross training and doing light weight training. In my early years, I'd just run. And that was it. I'd feel pain after my longer runs often - I knew I had to do something different. This is just something that worked for me. I have also experienced knee pain before from worn out sneakers - but that knee pain is different than injury knee pain. Hard to explain in words - I just know my body and my knees usually tell me it's time for a new pair. Bad, I know - but again, I'm no expert.

Good luck with the training and the race! You'll do great!
  • flakeandcake
    Options
    Hi all,

Wow - thank you so much information and so many really appreciated, helpful replies. Sorry to say so little, I didn't realise quite how much detail is needed when answering such questions.

So a bit more information. I'm 23 and in relatively good shape. I try and do a few Body Combat classes at the gym every week, walk as much as I can and use the gym cross trainer. I've been running in varying levels for about a year. Over the last 7 weeks I've been increasing my running times steadily, going most mornings for a run around my home town.

Currently, I run about a 10 minute mile. My home town (Bristol, UK), is really, really hilly so each run usually includes at least three long, steep slopes (and going down them too). The half marathon is around the city, so I'm guessing it will be pretty hilly too.

I'm currently running in Nike trainers, which should probably be replaced soon but they are still comfortable. I always take water on my runs and sip at it as I go round. I'm allergic to milk and don't like bananas, or eating while exercising so haven't been taking any food with me.

The knee pain is Runner Knee, I think (from looking online). It is usually fine but can sometimes flare up when running. It's not so bad that I can't run, I'm just aware of it.

Thanks so much and any other replies are much appreciated too.