A hearty breakfast for someone who hates mornings

Options
The older I get, the less of a morning person I become. I have mastered the art of waking up and being out the door in about 15 minutes. I would like to switch my eating habits around so I am eating a more hearty breakfast and a smaller dinner.

The problem is that I do not have time to do this. I have seen a few things online (mainly pinterest, lol) about making your own granola bars, power oat muffins, etc. I would love some ideas for a good power-packed breakfast. I would like to stay away from anything that comes in a wrapper.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Porridge. Rich in fibre and low on calories. I used to find around lunch time I would get very hungry, but a sachet of porridge, one cup of milk and heated in the microwave for 3 minutes, I'm more than full up when lunch time comes. Fair bit of protein in it too.

Add some mixed berries or apple if you want, but I just have it as is.

Plus, you can pretend you are Scottish and run around the house in a kilt covered in blue face paint. Marvelous.
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep...oatmeal is fast and easy. I don't measure, pour it right out of the carton (or whatever you call a round box!) add some tap water and nuke for one minute. I add lots of cinnamon to mine.

Another pintrest idea: Use muffin tins to create little sausage and egg things; you can have a dozen at a time that way.

Peanut butter sandwich.

Fruit and yogurt.

Thin bagels
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Porridge. Rich in fibre and low on calories. I used to find around lunch time I would get very hungry, but a sachet of porridge, one cup of milk and heated in the microwave for 3 minutes, I'm more than full up when lunch time comes. Fair bit of protein in it too.

Plus, you can pretend you are Scottish and run around the house in a kilt covered in blue face paint. Marvelous.

Kilts make everything more fun!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Toasted bagel thins with cinnamon cream laughing cow on them! or whole grain toast with peanut butter! I like toasted things! lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You might be better off just eating most of your calories at night and little to nothing during the day since it sounds like that method fits your lifestyle better.

But, if you insist on going the other route, I would give yourself more time in the AM so that you can prepare something satisfying and enjoyable. If it's going to be your biggest meal of the day you may as well put some time into it so you can enjoy it.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Check the recipe section here and do a search for egg muffins and Biggest Loser oatmeal pancakes. I am not a morning person either. My brain just does not function for at least the 1st hour. I have made both of these recipes and just grabbed them from the fridge to eat for breakfast. They're both good warmed up or cold. I tried adding blueberries to the oatmeal pancakes and that was delicious!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

LMAO - that is hilarious!

I eat hardboiled eggs and fruit. Easy, takes 12 minutes or so and I can eat it on the run. You can even boil the eggs the night before and just grab them on your way out the door. It keeps me full until lunch.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    First off, why do you want to switch? As there is no real evidence that meal timing makes much of a difference while still eating at a calorie deficit, there is no reason to switch unless you have another reason.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This image just made my day. Thank you.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal: 1/2 c old fasioned oats, 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1/2 c almond/other milk, 1T chia seeds, mix up the night before. The next morning you can mix in 1-1 1/2 scoop protein powder if you want and some fresh fruit and you're set. Very filling and you can even clean the fruit the night before and just mix it in in morning.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I boil about a dozen eggs once a week and package them 2 in a bag so they are easy to grab. Ive been experimenting with overnight oats (that still needs work). Ive also made my husband an egg sandwich in the morning that took about 5 minutes from opening the fridge door to being done. (He has to be at work WAY before I do.)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
  • adrushe
    adrushe Posts: 25
    Options
    I really enjoy Red River cereal, you can get it in the grocery store it comes in a red box. It's flaxseed and a bunch of other grains. It's basically bird food, LOL, but it's really healthy and super filling. You can make it in the microwave or on the stove. If you are feeling something sweet you can even add a bit of milk and brown sugar to it, but mostly I eat it plain since it's healthier that way.
  • Arredondo145
    Arredondo145 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Hmmm.... I already love porridge. Must find a kilt now... Do girls wear kilts? Wonder if my husband would?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 minutes to make scrambled eggs and toast. I do it for my kids every morning.

You can make whole wheat waffles in a big batch on Sunday afternoon (or after dinner), stick them in the freezer and toss them in the toaster and eat them as you walk out the door. Add fruit and sunflower seeds to the batter. We never use syrup.

Muesli and greek yoghurt with fruit is 300 calories and keeps me completely full - more so than oatmeal or waffles, both of which make me hungry by 11.

My mother made us eggnog every morning to drink as we ran out the door to school. Milk, egg, fruit or vanilla flavoring, sweetener. You can add ice if you like it thicker. If you don't have high quality eggs (we have our own chickens), you can use eggbeaters which are lower cholesterol and pasteurized so you don't have to worry about the raw eggs.

Make a batch of scones with bacon in them and grab one every morning.

I tend to eat big, fast breakfasts and have my meals get lighter all day to keep me from getting hungry.
  • daloontoon
    Options
    I make overnight oatmeal in the fridge.

1/2 c. Guik oats
    1c. Vanilla almond milk
    1 packet of sweetener
    1/2 c. Of fresh or frozen fruit

Mix all ingedients in mason jar cover with lid and store in fridge until breakfast.

I also add a little cinnamon. I have used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries and all are delicious.

Another one is a fried egg white along with a fried egg on top of a waffle that has a tbsp. of hummus on it. I use any waffle that is less than 90 calories. Super satisfying and yummy.

With both these recipes I make them ahead of time. They are nice to have in the fridge ready to go for morning.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary and see what I made this morning. You can make up a larger batch of something like that (this was cheese grits and sausage) or oatmeal, and pack it up in little tubs. Bring it work, heat it up, and enjoy it while you are reading your email. That's how I get through the school year when I want some hot breakfasts.

Another easy portable breakfast is to take some leftover rice, couscous or other grain, crack in a raw egg or two, maybe add a little piece of cheese, with a serving of salsa, in a plastic tub. When you get to work and cook it in the microwave, it only takes around a minute, stir it together and it's like a breakfast fried rice. I usually thrown in some salsa in that too, green salsa is really nice for breakfast eggs.

It so takes the boredom out of an endless stream of cold breakfasts.

The cold oatmeal idea is a good one I want to try also, it is a variation of swiss meusli. I even like to put oats on yogurt and eat it right away, love the chewiness of it.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 egg whites each morning. Just throw them in a skillet and some spinach on top and my omlette is ready in under 5. While that's cooking up, I toast some ezekial bread and spread it with natural peanut butter. I'm a PB fanatic so knowing I get to have some gets me out of the bed :)
  • luzinches
    luzinches Posts: 4
    Options
    There is a great recipe on youtube for egg muffin tins. Youtube has great recipes. I look under southbeach and or weight watcher recipes. Bake 12 egg muffin tins. Fill with egg, cheese, ham, spinach and potato. Layer each tin and bake. Their perfect grab and go food. On weight watchers, their 2 pts each muffin. I love them, their great to grab out of frig, microwave, eat and go.
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I like Ezekiel sprouted grain toast with some hummus on top. Also oatmeal always hits the spot. Today I am having a sprouted grain english muffin with some homemade vegan sausage (from Happy Herbivore- recipe is in the MFP database). Yum!