Runners - what's the hardest part of running for you?

Options
I was a runner in high school and started again this year. I know a lit of people have lung issues which is what makes running hard, but all my life, in ever really had lung problems. What keeps me from being fast is my muscles/feet/tendons hurting. Sometimes stretching helps, but it's still those parts of me that are holding me back.

I'm just wondering if that's the same for everyone? Assuming you don't have asthma or have it under control, would you be able to run as fast as you wanted to?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

....would you be able to run as fast as you wanted to?

I want to run a sub 4 minute mile and a sub 2:30 marathon, so "no". I can't run as fast as I want to. Can I run as fast as I have the fitness to support? Yes.

The hardest part about running for me is taking a rest day when I need it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think you slow with age... I don't worry about running fast, I worry about completing the distance I set out to do without walking. The soreness is only temporary but it is an occurrence for sure... I started as a runner later in life (just started last year, turning 47 in a few weeks so in reality my fast days are probably over.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think you slow with age... I don't worry about running fast, I worry about completing the distance I set out to do without walking. The soreness is only temporary but it is an occurrence for sure... I started as a runner later in life (just started last year, turning 47 in a few weeks so in reality my fast days are probably over.

No way. Your fast days are not over. You can keep improving. I just turned 44 yesterday. I am still setting PRs nearly every time I race. You can't continue to do the same workouts you have done and run the same mileage and hope to improve though. You have to build on what you are currently doing to get faster. Of course, if that is what you want to do. I may be a bit obsessed. :smile:
  • lobbyart
    lobbyart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a knee injury- my patella is dislocated, which isn't really fixable- but I would love to run. Have any of you worked through a knee injury like that? I'd love some advice so I can get off the stairmaster.
  • You can still run pretty fast with age; Bernard Lagat is 37 years old; Haile is 39. Don't expect to have many 70-80, high mileage weeks though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mine is being motivated to run in the heat.
    Fall, winter & spring I am good, Summer is terrible.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of running for me is getting out the door. It's easier if you fit it in with your routine though.

As for muscles/tendons hurting you, there can be so many causes it's not even funny. Stretching, shoes, different leg length, misaligned hips, old injuries etc...
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my problem is breathing and the heat. I live in Texas where it's about 90% humidity and around 95 degrees when i run. ( not to mention, I was a smoker for a decade and only quit 5 months ago.) I go out for a run and about a mile into it, I feel like I'm choking to get air in my lungs. Does it ever get any better?
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Proven way to run fast.

1. run on a muggy day
    2. pick a running trail in the woods that is surrounded by standing water
    3. don't wear bug spray
    4. try running slow, or slow down
    5. Rest & Repeat
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    The worst part of running for me is that when I can't run I'm in agony!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Joint pain. I have had three surgeries in a year - always that same, bone spurs. I love running, and I don't care how hot or cool as long as it is not wet or slippery. I will run on the treadmill if needed, but I am going to run. I am happy with a 5k or 10k at my age.

In HS I did the 100 yard in 11.1 and the mile in 6:02. In the service I did a 5K in 16:57 with a pack and boots. Now I am in the mid to high 20s for a 5K and mid to high 50s for a 10k. I still do sprints once a week.
  • mccallje
    mccallje Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is too run for a set amount of time and not worry about distance. Especially when I don't really feel like running.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    its mostly breathing for me. sometimes it's the lactic acid build up which feels like hurting legs, but its really a result of lack of oxygen.

5k pr- 20:59
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For me...my legs get more tired than my lungs. Which is actually weird for me because growing up I had exercised induced Asthma. But I grew out of it and after about the first 7 or so minutes I can usually get my breathing under control but my legs tire out. I figure they'll toughen up the more I run though.

The other problem I have is that I'm a mouth breather when I run, so my mouth dries out SO badly and REALLY quickly. I don't typically bring water with me, so I just deal with it.
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    Forking over the cash for ugly non-high heeled shoes...

But running makes me look good in the high heels...

Fair enough I suppose xD
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    taking a day off
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Motivation. Breathing. Heat. Cold. In that order.
  • cswomack
    cswomack Posts: 7
    Options
    I have exercise Utacaria. When i run my blood rushes through out my veins, and i get red streaks, and itch really bad (inside itch). Only in the beginning after running for couple weeks my body gets use to it. Most of the time have to take antihistamine to help. So now i'm on track i can run a mile without any complications, so far.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Mine is being motivated to run in the heat.
    Fall, winter & spring I am good, Summer is terrible.

This... I can run forever in cold weather, but the heat absolutely destroys me. And of course all the races in my area are in the summer