Runners - what's the hardest part of running for you?

Options

Replies

• dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ft.Worth, Texas girl here and I have to deal with the heat and humidity as well. Lucky for me, it doesn't keep me from running later in the day. I started out doing a mile in 20 minutes to a mile in almost 10!!! Major accomplishment for me. The hardest part for me is the breathing. I hear that if you can master the breathing, it makes it a LOT easier. In through the nose, out through the mouth... Anyways, I love my newfound joy of running. As a matter of fact, I'm doing my 3rd 5K in 3 months tomorrow morning. I've shaved time off of every run, so here's to quicker times :drinker:

Good luck on your journey. And yes, it does get easier everytime I hit the pavement!
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is mental. If I just get out of my head, I find my legs and lungs can just take over and do their thing... but if I start looking down at my Garmin like, 5 minutes after starting and I'm thinking... God it's hot... omg another 5 MILES... it's been and eternity where am I... I've only gone .7 miles?!?! If I just zone out and listen to my music or NPR or look around at the scenery, I feel MUCH better and have a way better time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Proven way to run fast.

1. run on a muggy day
    2. pick a running trail in the woods that is surrounded by standing water
    3. don't wear bug spray
    4. try running slow, or slow down
    5. Rest & Repeat

:laugh: That's why I love trail running more than hiking.

For me, it's almost purely mental. When the stars align and I can shut out the stupid little voice in my head, I'm unstoppable.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was a runner in high school and started again this year. I know a lit of people have lung issues which is what makes running hard, but all my life, in ever really had lung problems. What keeps me from being fast is my muscles/feet/tendons hurting. Sometimes stretching helps, but it's still those parts of me that are holding me back.

I'm just wondering if that's the same for everyone? Assuming you don't have asthma or have it under control, would you be able to run as fast as you wanted to?

For me, it's not usually a specific thing at any given time. Sometimes, my heart and lungs feel like they could go forever (usually on low humidity days), other days, not so much. My legs may feel great one day, then feel like they're on fire the next time I run. It could be my knee or my feet/ankles/calves. I don't know why, but it seems to be something different everytime I run. It would help tremendously if I had an iPod loaded with lots of great music to keep my mind off the pain. Hoping to get one next month.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Im not even sure why I want to run. It's torture

I have a knee problem . but that aside my muscles don't ache greatly, they don't seem to be my weak point simply having the puff the keep going is my problem. GPS has also shown I try to run much faster than I am capable - my pace is rubbish.

There are two reasons I stick at it, 1) Cos I am rubbish 2) I know from past experience it is the way to get a decent looking body
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    THE FIRST MILE.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Scheduling is the hardest part of running for me. I have to be at work at 7:30 in the morning, and my evenings are usually full of rehearsals and such. That generally means that I either run in the early morning, which I can only do in the summer until it gets too dark, or on my very strictly timed lunch break, which means no time for showering and everyone has to put up with the post-run me for the rest of the day. LOL

Some day I will have a job where I don't have to be in until 9 or I'll work from home and I'll be able to run in the morning no matter what time of year it is... working on that.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Regarding running in general; its running when its 95 degrees + and then taking a rest day when I need to.

Regarding speed; I don't worry about this any longer- too much. I think more about distance covered but I do look at pace to determine if I'm progressing or not. But when weakpoints present themselves (ex; knees, tenderness or soreness, lungs, mental game, etc) I think of it as our bodies are revealing the weakest link in our running fitness at the time. Its seems mine are on a rotation. Right now its flexibility. No matter how much I stretch I feel tight. Before that it was my lungs. Who knows what will be next? LOL
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    my problem is breathing and the heat. I live in Texas where it's about 90% humidity and around 95 degrees when i run. ( not to mention, I was a smoker for a decade and only quit 5 months ago.) I go out for a run and about a mile into it, I feel like I'm choking to get air in my lungs. Does it ever get any better?

Yes, it is possible. I ran in those conditions in San Antonio, TX last week and I am from Northern Michigan. It was hard, but I ran 2.37 miles which was my farthest to that date. Just practice deep breathing...it may take awhile, but it is possible.

I have bad knees, a bad back and rolling ankles and I am about to graduate from the C25K program. I had every excuse not to run, but I started doing it anyway and now I love it!

The hardest part for me is probably heat/humidity but also my heart rate likes to sky rocket. I hope as I run more, it will get used to the activity.

As for the soreness, maybe get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running specialty store. I had a lot of hip and foot pain as well as terrible shin splints, but the day I started running in specially fitted shoes, I lost all of that pain. My knees are also getting better (I can run without brace now).
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My knee. I am constantly having to take 6 month breaks from running due to pain. I run until it starts to hurt again and then take a break and lose all progress I had made. I can't wait for the day I have medical insurance so I can afford to get it diagnosed and fixed.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Summer running blows big time, but for me its the soreness afterwards when I run double digit miles.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

The hardest part about running for me is taking a rest day when I need it.

same here...I just started running(I've always loved it but my body not so much-but I'm teaching myself how to breath better) and I'm finding I want to run every day and sometimes after work when I'm about to go biking but I also know I don't want to hurt myself so I force a rest day
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

....would you be able to run as fast as you wanted to?

I want to run a sub 4 minute mile and a sub 2:30 marathon, so "no". I can't run as fast as I want to. Can I run as fast as I have the fitness to support? Yes.

The hardest part about running for me is taking a rest day when I need it.

DITTO!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Running in Texas is like running through a warm swimming pool 9 months out of the year... I started actually running in December and I remember how great it felt to freeze my fingers off.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Chaffed nipples!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    THE FIRST MILE.

Me too! I HATE the first mile!
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    Mine is opposite. Winter running motivation is tuff for me. I am a native Florida boy and now live in Kansas where it gets frog butt cold in winter. Every winter I can't seem to make myself run. I have vowed that this winter will be different. We'll see.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    THE FIRST MILE.

^^^ THIS

and the breathing thing. I'm usually ok until i start getting tired around 2.5 miles, then I start getting side stitches from shallow breathing. If I keep running through it I can make it about 3.5 miles before I need a walk break. I'm up to 5 miles now and I'll be trying 7 miles tomorrow morning. Hopefully the breathing will come more naturally the more I run. I'm training for a half marathon so getting tired and out of breath at 2.5 miles is not going to cut it :grumble:
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ummm, so I live in Colorado. Yes, the mile high city. Want to talk breathing problems?? LOL

I struggle with a lot of the same muscle and tendon issues as other people. I feel like once something heals, another something starts up. So, I got a running coach. The first thing he did was evaulate my stride, my cadence and my speed. (or lack of). From there, he determined my shoes were wrong and that I overpronate forcing undo pressure on my left leg and my right leg overcompensates for it.

We changed shoes and he changed my running routine completely. Meaning, all the way back to the beginning. We started at one mile 'fun runs'. These consisted of running laps on a track. He had me push hard for two laps and lay back on others. It helped build my endurance and when I felt pain, I slowed down instead of pushing through it like I had done in the past. He insists, and I mean insists on stretching before and after every run. Even if it's just a mile. Every run. He also has me doing some basic strength training.

I have my first 1/2 marathon in September and am working on getting ready for it.While it's been a challenge and I haven't lost any weight yet, I can feel my body changing and getting stronger. It's a slow process and I'm very impatient. But I know it is working because I'm not in the crazy pain I was in before.

Good luck!!
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me, shoes make a big difference. I just spent $140 on a pair of Asics that are worthless, because I encountered the same problem as you did. So, I went out and bought another pair, the brand escapes me right now, and I'm just fine. No problems. You might want to keep in mind that everyday isn't always going to be a pleasant experience! However, in my experience, ALL days are gratifying!