What protein powder do you buy??

Options
I was reading a thread yesterday about protein shakes and after that its something that I'm considering starting to use. I of course have heard that they can range from pretty good tasting to pretty bad!

What is your personal favourite brand of protein powder taste-wise? It would also be great if you could include the the amount of protein and calories that are in each serving.

(And if you can't tell from the way I spelled favourite, I'm Canadian :) so I'd love to hear from Canadians as well just to make sure its a brand that I can buy here)

Replies

• DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    Hello
    I use several different types of protein for different times

Post workout I will use Optimum Nutrition's EGG protein (i respond well to egg) or
    Isopure ready to drink bottles in Passion fruit

Before bed i use Optimum Nutrition's Casine in Vanilla. Casine is a slow digesting protein good for periods of time you will not be eating whole foods

Between meals if i cannot get to food right away i will have a blend like muscle milk (ready to drink) A lot of people speak poorly of muscle milk i personally think its great. It has a good amount of fat to slow digestion and it has a great blend of vitamins as well.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Casein and Whey. I love the Extreme Milk Chocolate Whey protein, toss in 8 ounces of water and drink, tastes phenomenal.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress or Six Star both sold at Wal-Mart for under $20. Prefer chocolate in both but will do vanilla from time to time.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Combat powder
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Lean 25 from GNC. It has 25 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber per serving. I have the chocolate and french vanilla. They taste pretty good. The vanilla is a little sweet but not too bad.
  • Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I get promasil

90 calories
    Zero sugar
    20 grams of protein
    0 carbs

I get milk chocolate and white chocolate, both are amazing.. From gnc
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ON Pro complex, good taste, plenty of protein and relativly low in calories
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Myofusion Probiotic (cookies and cream) and Gold Standard (chocolate mint)f
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I buy the Body Fortress Advnaced Whey protein from Walmart... The cookies and cream or chocolate peanutbutter ones are best even just mixed with cold water.

With no other choice I grabbed the Vanilla one this past week, mixed with almond milk it is ok... or with some fruit as a smoothie it is good... but when I mix it with just cold water... it sucks
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Whey Powder - Frosty Chocolate. It's the best I've tried, and fairly inexpensive.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology, it's the only all natural and organic shake that I have personally best related to and felt comfortable using, it's naturally sweetened with pre&probiotics and digestive enzymes for stomach and digestive system health as well as fiber to keep you regular and tons of vitamins, minerals, and superfoods. I usea vegan brown rice formula thats very easy on my tummy since i'm whey sensitive.
    I also really really like Myofusion strawberries and cream all though its not all natural i like that fac that its a mix of whey and egg so it doesn't upset my stomach. That's just me. You can message me personally if you want.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I love Garden of Life's Raw Protein Powder. I'm kind of a hippie though so I sway towards vegan stuffs. It doesn't taste like anything so it's easily integrated into almost anything mushy.
  • steveinrc
    steveinrc Posts: 7
    Options
    Dymatize ISO-100. Cookies and Cream tastes great.

From the website: Check the stats: each serving has an astonishing 24 grams of protein, with "0" Carb & "0" Fat. Look closer. You will see that all this is in a serving size of about 28 grams, making ISO-100 86% protein by weight!

The reason my wife and I chose this one is that it is just the protein isolate and nothing else. So many of the others have other ingredients that we weren't interested in. Just the whey protein isolate maam!
  • Jasonkellykinn
    Options
    Body Fortress at Wal-Mart. 140 Calories per scoop and I get the Vanilla. Drink it in ice cold water or mix it in Pancakes or Oatmeal.
  • evieonthewagon
    evieonthewagon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of MLO or Genisoy brand protein powder, flavorless. They're cheap (9.99 to 11.99 per canister, each with 16 servings per container) and I have found MLO brand on Amazon if you don't have them in your grocery stores. MLO has 110 calories per serving, 10 calories from fat, no carbs, and 24 grams of protien. There's no flavor, so you have to mix it into something. I usually make the following shake:
    1 cup of yogurt, flavored.
    1/2 or 1 cup of frozen fruit
    1 cup of ice and 1 cup of water
    2 packets of Splenda (or artificial sweetener of your choice)
    If you've used frozen banana slices and vanilla yogurt, you can add a touch of cinnamin.
    3 heaping Tbsp of protien powder (110 calories)
    Blend thoroughly. This makes a huge shake that keeps me full for about 3 hours and has about 250 calories in it. I hope this helps.
  • phenixred
    phenixred Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Super Adanced Whey Vanilla flavored.(wal-mart for like $14.00 for a HUGE container of it) I use water with it, and add in a powerded vanilla flavored Womens multivitamin, and sometimes I add Fresh or Frozen Berries. Or bananas. It just depends on my mood in the morning. I only use one scoop insted of the 2 scoop they recommend. I dont think it tastes bad. it tastes better than Carnation instant breakfast in my opinion.

OH , and I have 3 cups of Coffee (black) and a bottle of water for first thing in the morning with the shake. Keeps me full for 3 hours, than i have a zone perfect bar, and im good till Lunch.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6.

Strawberries, banana, a little yogurt, some chocolate silk....in the ninja, an BAM! breakfast.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb whey Protein powder does not use chemical based artificial sweeteners, instead uses Stevia. It is so good drinking the Tropical fruit that tastes like ice cream dreamsicle orange and vanilla ice cream.

Yum for 1 scoop 110 calories, no fat, no growth hormones from cattle, organic with 1 carb. I think his is the best and you can try a sample size at his website.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't read it all. Pro Complex has:
    60 G protein
    270 Calories
    5 G Carbs

tons of vitamins

Don't buy from ON direct or GNC (way too expensive) plenty of on line retailers have it much lower
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use MRM Dutch Chocolate Whey and ON Casein Chocolate Supreme...both are good, but I prefer the taste of MRM. I don't love the casein, but it's not horrible either. The benefits of using it far out weigh the taste.