How Do You Trust the Process?

Options
I bulked last year and did a lot of things wrong (didn't stop excessive cardio, ate at the most minimal of surpluses, and ate far too much protein and not nearly enough carbs). I gained a total of 6 lbs in 20 weeks (4 lbs of LBM). I'm back with bulk #2 and hoping to learn from my mistakes.

About Me:
32-year-old female
5'6", 130 lbs (started my bulk 5 weeks ago at 124 but started creatine and a new BC pill in that time as well)
Body fat is +/- 17%
Lift 4x/week doing Wendler's 5/3/1 with an upper/lower split for accessories
TDEE per Fitbit is 2300-2400 cals
Intake is 2700 cals (371g carbs, 75g fats, 135g protein)

My plan is to bulk to 140-145 lbs

I guess my question is, how do you trust the process? Right now I just feel a little pudgy. How can I convince myself that I'm actually gaining muscle and not just muffintopping over my pants?

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk with putting on minimal fat or do you plan to actually do a cut at some later time?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk with putting on minimal fat or do you plan to actually do a cut at some later time?

I didn't cut last time (because I didn't really put on much fat), just did recomp for eight months. I'm not opposed to the idea of cutting--I actually lose easily--but I don't like the idea of eating less food on a cut LOL. I guess I'd planned on doing a more aggressive bulk and a slower cut after.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just need to keep reassuring yourself that it is necessary for the overall greater goal. I would just approach the process slow, looking to add 1-2 lbs per month (personally I would aim for the former). That way, you'll keep fat gains at bay.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    So, to reach my goal of 140 lbs, you recommend 10 more months of bulking? I felt like I shortchange myself last time when I gained that slowly...but I think, in reality, maybe my expectations for the outcome may be too great.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Short change in what way?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as it boils down to your comfort level. Do you care about fat gains and seeing the scale shoot up more rapidly? If not, be more aggressive with your surplus. If so, approach it more slowly.

Keep in mind it's more difficult for women to add LBM, so be realistic about the amount of LBM you're looking to add and the time frame of doing so. It will become even more difficult to add LBM as your training age increases as well.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Are you calling me old? :p

You're probably right. Last bulk was 20 weeks and I gained 4 lbs of LBM. I know logically that's really good...but I've got that stupid voice in my head telling me I could have gained more if I'd eaten more. Do you think I maxed out my LBM gains in that bulk, or is it at all possible I could have gained more?
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

1/2 the values for women generally speaking. Obviously everyone is different, and has different potentials based on genetics and such.. but it will give you a general idea.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

1/2 the values for women generally speaking. Obviously everyone is different, and has different potentials based on genetics and such.. but it will give you a general idea.

But I'm a special snowflake!!!

Of course I know all of this...it's just hard when you're so inside your own hear. Do you know what I mean?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

But I'm a special snowflake!!!

Of course I know all of this...it's just hard when you're so inside your own hear. Do you know what I mean?

Absolutely, but it is the reality of the situation unless you wanna buy a bicycle.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to shoot for 135 (5 lbs) for end of February then and see how it goes. If I'm feeling fat, I'll cut. If I'm feeling fine, I'll keep going.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    That sounds good. I would also encourage you to perhaps discuss this with USMCMP or other females that have run some bulk/cut cycles as they may have different input and feedback.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    That sounds good. I would also encourage you to perhaps discuss this with USMCMP or other females that have run some bulk/cut cycles as they may have different input and feedback.

I've talked to her.

I feel like I'm coming from a different place than a lot of women here. I was never big, so I didn't start off with a lot of LBM. I'm really building it up from scratch. I started out at 98 lbs LBM and am now up to 105 lbs after two years of seriously lifting. Some I gained through my bulk last time and the rest through recomp.

I've found that a lot of the women I really look up to here started off at a higher weight and just had to shed some fat to reveal the awesomeness beneath. I feel slightly at a disadvantage in that way, or maybe that's just a cop-out. IDK
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I don't think it is a cop out per say, but I also don't think it's all the relevant where you start from.

You can't control the past, so control what you can control moving forward.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

I've talked to her.

I feel like I'm coming from a different place than a lot of women here. I was never big, so I didn't start off with a lot of LBM. I'm really building it up from scratch. I started out at 98 lbs LBM and am now up to 105 lbs after two years of seriously lifting. Some I gained through my bulk last time and the rest through recomp.

I've found that a lot of the women I really look up to here started off at a higher weight and just had to shed some fat to reveal the awesomeness beneath. I feel slightly at a disadvantage in that way, or maybe that's just a cop-out. IDK

That is an interesting point. Does that make a difference?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that aspect of bulking as well. I think in a way, bulking could be harder for those of us that never had a much higher weight to start with.
    I mean, take for instance a guy my height (5'8") who is overweight at 190 pounds (at 30% body fat, that would give him 133 pounds of LBM). He could then get into weight training and get down to around 160 pounds with 14% body fat (141 pounds of LBM). But for someone like me, since my weight is much lower (total weight and LBM), it would seem to me like it could take more effort for me to get up to 160 (with 141 pounds of lbm).
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DERP... nvm... I misread what was said. ^^^
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

I've talked to her.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm of the mindset of @ForecasterJason that if I was heavier to start and had a higher LBM to start, that shedding the fat would reveal the muscle I already have. I'm great at losing and maintaining weight. I've been "out of shape," but I've never been fat.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wonder if people that have been lean all their life have a relatively harder time gaining muscle and if people that have been holding more BF all their life have a relatively harder time cutting down to a let's say single digit BF%
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I've talked to her.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm of the mindset of @ForecasterJason that if I was heavier to start and had a higher LBM to start, that shedding the fat would reveal the muscle I already have. I'm great at losing and maintaining weight. I've been "out of shape," but I've never been fat.

Truth is it is difficult for most people. Its just that grass always looks greener on the other side. The term for those of us that were overweight and cut down is Former Fat Boy Syndrome. :smile: Believe me it has its own challenges on top of not making significant gains.

We also hear and see tons of stuff about how so-and-so added 20lbs in the first year and wonder what are we doing wrong that we are only seeing a fraction of that.

Was it my calories were too low? My protein too low? Was I on the wrong program? Do my genetics just suck that bad? :smiley: And if you are a guy you start to wonder about your test levels.

The truth is that putting on any muscle is really hard and very slow for most people. At least that is what I tell myself. :p

• PwrLftr82
    Options
    Yeah I wonder if people that have been lean all their life have a relatively harder time gaining muscle and if people that have been holding more BF all their life have a relatively harder time cutting down to a let's say single digit BF%

$5 says there's probably a study about that already