Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Vegan Keto Cauliflower "Ice Cream"

Some_Watery_TartSome_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,280Member Member Posts: 2,280Member Member
in Recipes
Yes, it's really a thing: Vanilla Blueberry Cauliflower Ice Cream

Ingredients:
-Whole cauliflower
-Stevia drops
-1 TB coconut oil (or ghee if you're not vegan)
-Lemon
-150g Blueberries
-Double Shot of coconut, quinoa, or almond milk (or milk sub of your choice)
-Vanilla pod
-Pinch of Himalayan salt

Boil the cauliflower until it's super soft. Drain off liquid. Add ghee and scraped vanilla bean seeds. Squeeze juice of half a lemon. Grate in some zest for added flavor. Blend in food processor/blender. During blending, add in enough milk to give it a velvety smooth texture. Add 3-7 drops of stevia based on taste. Add salt. Blend again. Place in container and refrigerate taking it out every couple of hours and blending it again for super smooth texture. Alternatively, let it cool and place in ice cream machine.

***I've taken some liberties with the directions to make them a little more clear and remove some errors.***

Recipe Credit: The "DirtyFilthyHealthy" blog. And thank you to my awesome friend Travis for making me aware that this is actually a thing.

Original blog post:
https://dirtyfilthyhealthy.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/i-scream-ice-cream-made-of-cauliflower-say-whaaaattt/

Edited to reduce the offensiveness of this recipe.
edited January 2015

Replies

• killerqueen21killerqueen21 Posts: 157Member Member Posts: 157Member Member
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol you are so wrong for all of this
  • EscloflowneEscloflowne Posts: 2,062Member Member Posts: 2,062Member Member
  • AliceDarkAliceDark Posts: 2,933Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 2,933Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    Ghee is clarified butter. It's not vegan. Maybe you could sub that out for coconut oil or something to make it fully vegan.
  • Burt_HuttzBurt_Huttz Posts: 1,618Member Member Posts: 1,618Member Member
    Vegan with ghee. Is this a joke? Why would you try to get vegans to eat animal products? That's really messed up. Back in the day you could trust this website and people were here to help each other.
  • PRMinxPRMinx Posts: 4,612Member Member Posts: 4,612Member Member
    not_sure_if_serious_pug.jpg

edited January 2015
  • the_arghbowlthe_arghbowl Posts: 63Member Member Posts: 63Member Member
  • silver_arrow3silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,388Member Member Posts: 1,388Member Member
    giphy.gif

I'm so disturbed.
  • redpandora56redpandora56 Posts: 428Member Member Posts: 428Member Member
    that does not sound even remotely appetizing - i've heard of blending frozen bananas to make 'ice cream' but i'm struggling to imagine cauliflower in a sweet dish of any description.
  • DavPulDavPul Posts: 61,895Member Member Posts: 61,895Member Member
  • sullussullus Posts: 2,798Member Member Posts: 2,798Member Member
    MMMMMMMMM.....

D6m728xonM.gif
  • williams969williams969 Posts: 2,561Member Member Posts: 2,561Member Member
  • SuggaDSuggaD Posts: 1,369Member Member Posts: 1,369Member Member
    does not sound tasty at all
  • chubby_checkerschubby_checkers Posts: 2,311Member Member Posts: 2,311Member Member
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 28,947Member Member Posts: 28,947Member Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    YtJTkh6.gif

ha, that gif expresses my sentiments exactly!
  • mistere627mistere627 Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    Vegan with ghee. Is this a joke? Why would you try to get vegans to eat animal products?

Bringing them back to the dark side?

• kaseyr1505kaseyr1505 Posts: 624Member Member Posts: 624Member Member
    Uh, this isn't vegan. As it's been said, ghee is clarified butter, which is made from dairy.

And I'm pretty sure a damp sponge is better tasting.
  • RunTimerRunTimer Posts: 8,746Member Member Posts: 8,746Member Member
    Stop talking
    timedpics5.jpg
  • srslybrittsrslybritt Posts: 1,613Member Member Posts: 1,613Member Member
  • Some_Watery_TartSome_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,280Member Member Posts: 2,280Member Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Ghee is clarified butter. It's not vegan. Maybe you could sub that out for coconut oil or something to make it fully vegan.
    I'm guessing the vegans around here already know about and use the vegan alternatives, as I do when I prepare food for my vegan brother. But you certainly have my apologies if I've offended. I'll edit the OP so no one accidentally consumes animals.
  • Travis_2Travis_2 Posts: 1,445Member Member Posts: 1,445Member Member
    Just replace with one cup of regret.
  • AlluminatiAlluminati Posts: 6,276Member Member Posts: 6,276Member Member
  • eric_sg61eric_sg61 Posts: 2,931Member Member Posts: 2,931Member Member
    How can one be vegan and keto?
  • strawberrycantaloupestrawberrycantaloupe Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
    Way easier way to make vegan ice cream is just to freeze some bananas and blend them up...it's pretty close in consistency then add whatever you want (that's vegan, not ghee) for flavor. I don't know about cauliflower though..that sounds a little nasty, but who knows.
  • AliceDarkAliceDark Posts: 2,933Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 2,933Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    I'm guessing the vegans around here already know about and use the vegan alternatives, as I do when I prepare food for my vegan brother. But you certainly have my apologies if I've offended. I'll edit the OP so no one accidentally consumes animals.
    I'm not offended at all, and I'd assume that anyone who is vegan knows not to eat ghee. It was more of a "wtf, that's so not vegan??" thing on my part, although it would irritate me if I were vegan and someone made this for me. I'm vegetarian and I've had people make me dishes before that "don't have meat, just some bacon bits." *headdesk*

• killerqueen21killerqueen21 Posts: 157Member Member Posts: 157Member Member
    Lol some of you completely missed the joke
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 28,947Member Member Posts: 28,947Member Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    How can one be vegan and keto?

magic?
  • Some_Watery_TartSome_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,280Member Member Posts: 2,280Member Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yes, it's really a thing: Vanilla Blueberry Cauliflower Ice Cream

Ingredients:
    -Whole cauliflower
    -Stevia drops
    -1 TB coconut oil (or ghee if you're not vegan)
    -Lemon
    -150g Blueberries
    -Double Shot of coconut, quinoa, or almond milk (or milk sub of your choice)
    -Vanilla pod
    -Pinch of Himalayan salt

Boil the cauliflower until it's super soft. Drain off liquid. Add ghee and scraped vanilla bean seeds. Squeeze juice of half a lemon. Grate in some zest for added flavor. Blend in food processor/blender. During blending, add in enough milk to give it a velvety smooth texture. Add 3-7 drops of stevia based on taste. Add salt. Blend again. Place in container and refrigerate taking it out every couple of hours and blending it again for super smooth texture. Alternatively, let it cool and place in ice cream machine.

***I've taken some liberties with the directions to make them a little more clear and remove some errors.***

Recipe Credit: The "DirtyFilthyHealthy" blog. And thank you to my awesome friend Travis for making me aware that this is actually a thing.

Original blog post:
    https://dirtyfilthyhealthy.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/i-scream-ice-cream-made-of-cauliflower-say-whaaaattt/

Edited to reduce the offensiveness of this recipe.

RC7Sger.jpg
    joey-not-even-sorry.gif
  • sullussullus Posts: 2,798Member Member Posts: 2,798Member Member
    I'm not offended at all, and I'd assume that anyone who is vegan knows not to eat ghee. It was more of a "wtf, that's so not vegan??" thing on my part, although it would irritate me if I were vegan and someone made this for me. I'm vegetarian and I've had people make me dishes before that "don't have meat, just some bacon bits." *headdesk*

A lot of bacon bits are vegetarian: McCormack Bac'n Pieces, Durkee Bacon Bits, and Betty Crocker Bac-os all are.