Shaking during/after a workout

Options

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am from the U.S. You get emergen-c in the vitamin aisle. Just pour it in a glass of water. Tons of Vitamin C...no caffeine or anything to make you jittery because I am sensitive to that. Awesome stuff!
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=232848&catid=185657&aid=338666&aparam=232848&kpid=232848&CAWELAID=120142990000052425&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=232848

I hope you get this link ok!
  • livv365
    livv365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    livv365 wrote: »
    Did you have anything to eat beforehand?

Yes I had soup and rice cakes half an hour before going, I would understand why I was shaking if I hadn't eat but I had and it's slightly worrying lol, googling it doesn't help the situation x

Googling can cause panic lol. You not have eaten enough beforehand to meet the needs of your workout.

Ok thank you! I'm new to all this so totally confused by what I should be eating before a workout, I had a medical condition and put on loads of weight now trying to get it off and am constantly worrying about if I'm eating enough etc lol x

If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating a day? What is your height, weight and activity level?

No not at all:) I eat about 1,200/300 a day and I weigh 13 stone and 5ft 10 and a half. I workout at the gym 5 days a week and and run at the country park 1 day a week; rest for one x

So I ran the info you gave me through this website:http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

It gave me your
    BMR as 1673
    TDEE as 2593

I think you are not eating enough and not giving your body enough fuel for the work out.

Ok thank you so much! I'll start eating a bit more during the day then and before a workout x
  • livv365
    Options
    I am from the U.S. You get emergen-c in the vitamin aisle. Just pour it in a glass of water. Tons of Vitamin C...no caffeine or anything to make you jittery because I am sensitive to that. Awesome stuff!
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=232848&catid=185657&aid=338666&aparam=232848&kpid=232848&CAWELAID=120142990000052425&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=232848

Thank you! I have never seen it before but I will give it a try! X
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Did you have anything to eat beforehand?

Yes I had soup and rice cakes half an hour before going, I would understand why I was shaking if I hadn't eat but I had and it's slightly worrying lol, googling it doesn't help the situation x

Googling can cause panic lol. You not have eaten enough beforehand to meet the needs of your workout.

Ok thank you! I'm new to all this so totally confused by what I should be eating before a workout, I had a medical condition and put on loads of weight now trying to get it off and am constantly worrying about if I'm eating enough etc lol x

If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating a day? What is your height, weight and activity level?

No not at all:) I eat about 1,200/300 a day and I weigh 13 stone and 5ft 10 and a half. I workout at the gym 5 days a week and and run at the country park 1 day a week; rest for one x

So I ran the info you gave me through this website:http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

It gave me your
    BMR as 1673
    TDEE as 2593

I think you are not eating enough and not giving your body enough fuel for the work out.

Ok thank you so much! I'll start eating a bit more during the day then and before a workout x

Not a problem :) Keep us posted if it works out!- I love that Scooby website. It can give you a breakdown of different macro goals.
  • kevinjbaum
    kevinjbaum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of the comments, but if you're working out regularly, shoot for 100g of protein a day (shake, egg, greek yogurt, etc.). Should be eating five to six times a day.
  • kevinjbaum
    kevinjbaum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to have a slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter 30 minutes before a workout. It helps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm British...Health food stores also stock it, you can buy by sachet or box...lemon and lime is the best flavour IMO...you have to log it 25 cals

I don't think its a proper electrolyte drink but it does give me an energy burst
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kevinjbaum wrote: »
    I haven't read through all of the comments, but if you're working out regularly, shoot for 100g of protein a day (shake, egg, greek yogurt, etc.). Should be eating five to six times a day.

The eating 5-6 times a day is not needed.
    You were weak, and probably needed to eat more. If you eat mostly carbs, it will do that to you during workouts. So if that is the case, you should probably eat well about an hour before your workout

I haven't been eating carbs in the sense of bread,pasta,rice etc. Obviously there's carbs in a lot of foods that maybe I don't realise there is. Thank you x

Is there a reason you are not eating carbs? Unless you have a medical condition, limited carbs is not needed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're "in agony" from yesterday's workout, you might need to take a day off, eat well, hydrate well, and let those muscles heal a bit. No shame in easing into a new workout schedule. Sore muscles are one thing, but if you can't move without groaning or grunting because you're in so much pain, you should probably listen to your body and take a rest day. Or two.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You were weak, and probably needed to eat more. If you eat mostly carbs, it will do that to you during workouts. So if that is the case, you should probably eat well about an hour before your workout

I haven't been eating carbs in the sense of bread,pasta,rice etc. Obviously there's carbs in a lot of foods that maybe I don't realise there is. Thank you x

Not that carbs are bad, BUT rice cakes and most soups are all carbs. Fruits, veggies, all carbs.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: need to eat more. Have a lot more carbs, throw in a little protein and some Gatorade first.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm British...Health food stores also stock it, you can buy by sachet or box...lemon and lime is the best flavour IMO...you have to log it 25 cals

I don't think its a proper electrolyte drink but it does give me an energy burst

I get mine from Napiers in Glasgow... and i agree with the lemon and lime flavour or if you can get it there is a pink lemonade one which is great :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If your muscles are attempting to repair themselves, they can get shaky at times. I know for me - I'm a runner - sometimes at night my quads start to almost like pulse and I can see my leg pulsing if I sit still. It's a little odd but it happens.

Your muscles are attempting to both repair themselves and be of use to you during a workout. That's taxing if you really did yourself in the day before. Say you need to lift something really heavy with only one arm. You might be ok at first, but then your arm will start to shake a bit right? That's your muscles starting to fail and attempting to release the strain your body is asking them to hold. Your arm will shake and start to hurt and you will be tempted to drop the object. Same idea with working out.

It could be what you ate, but it could be that you went too hard during the workout before and need to rest.
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If your calorie deficit (calories eaten minus calories burned) is too severe, it has been said that this actually makes your body hang on to extra pounds. They recommend a 500 calorie deficit.

That being said, I eat enough, but still during workouts I may shake a little bit. A tiny bit of the shakes probably isn't terrible, like if you only notice it if you hold your hand out. But shakes that are uncontrollable probably means what everyone here has been saying- eat more.
    You want a carb that will enter your bloodstream slowly giving you sustained energy (usually called low gycemic, viz non-processed whole grains). Most granola bars with nuts, oats, fruits, seeds will fit the bill.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to metafit for the first time and I am in agony today, however I forced myself to go to the gym and I was shaking uncontrollably it's never happened before, can anyone tell me why? X

How long and intense was yesterday's exercise session?

How long was today's exercise session?

Have you told your doctor about this?

My guess is you're overdoing it.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No, this is not true.

I eat loads of carbs and I never have that reaction.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Soup and a rice cake might not be enough calories before working out. My guess is low blood sugar.

Not necessarily. Lots of people don't eat at all prior to a workout.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This thread just boot "Hey Ya" in my head, so I guess there goes the rest of the day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, low blood sugar?
  • livv365
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Yesterday I went to metafit for the first time and I am in agony today, however I forced myself to go to the gym and I was shaking uncontrollably it's never happened before, can anyone tell me why? X

How long and intense was yesterday's exercise session?

How long was today's exercise session?

Have you told your doctor about this?

My guess is you're overdoing it.

It was 45 minutes long and I done 60 minutes of cardio today and 60 minutes of weights. I was thinking of leaving it until Friday to see if it gets better and if not then phoning up for an appointment x