Options
13»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You were weak, and probably needed to eat more. If you eat mostly carbs, it will do that to you during workouts. So if that is the case, you should probably eat well about an hour before your workout

No, this is not true.

I eat loads of carbs and I never have that reaction.

I will elaborate my meaning.... the shakes will happen to you when you have gone too far. It is the body's way of telling you that it cannot switch to any other energy source so fast. If you have never gotten the shakes, then you either never work out to exhaustion or you have a heavy meal before working out that allows for an extended session. Since carbs are processed quickly, what is eaten can be immediate fuel for the body. But when there is none left in the tank, that is when the shaking starts. That is all the shaking is....lack of energy. If it were an electrolyte problem, she would get cramps or become lethargic.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Soup and a rice cake might not be enough calories before working out. My guess is low blood sugar.

Not necessarily. Lots of people don't eat at all prior to a workout.

indeed. I work out fasted a lot of the time, sometimes when I haven't eaten for 15 hours (including sleep hours). When in a ketogenic state, I never get the shakes, only exhaustion. My hunger is independent of my workouts, and since my body doesn't operate on mostly carbs, I never hit the wall. I will go as far as my muscles take me, and I will cramp up faster than I will shake or become weak and rubbery.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    livv365 wrote: »
    livv365 wrote: »
    Yesterday I went to metafit for the first time and I am in agony today, however I forced myself to go to the gym and I was shaking uncontrollably it's never happened before, can anyone tell me why? X

How long and intense was yesterday's exercise session?

How long was today's exercise session?

Have you told your doctor about this?

My guess is you're overdoing it.

It was 45 minutes long and I done 60 minutes of cardio today and 60 minutes of weights. I was thinking of leaving it until Friday to see if it gets better and if not then phoning up for an appointment x
    You did 60 minute of weights AND 60 minutes of cardio.

Please, if that's true, stop overdoing it. You will do more harm than good.

No wonder you got the shakes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You were weak, and probably needed to eat more. If you eat mostly carbs, it will do that to you during workouts. So if that is the case, you should probably eat well about an hour before your workout

No, this is not true.

I eat loads of carbs and I never have that reaction.

I will elaborate my meaning.... the shakes will happen to you when you have gone too far. It is the body's way of telling you that it cannot switch to any other energy source so fast. If you have never gotten the shakes, then you either never work out to exhaustion or you have a heavy meal before working out that allows for an extended session. Since carbs are processed quickly, what is eaten can be immediate fuel for the body. But when there is none left in the tank, that is when the shaking starts. That is all the shaking is....lack of energy. If it were an electrolyte problem, she would get cramps or become lethargic.

Thanks for clarifying what you mean. Yes, exhaustion can cause some strange symptoms.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Could be to little food like previous replies have said, could be pushing your muscles to hard, or it could be something else. For me one of the first signs that my blood sugars are dropping is I get tremors in my hands and arms. If I don't take care of it, that's quickly followed by feeling light headed, clammy, seeing little white lights in my vision, followed rapidly by blurring vision and unconsciousness. I would try eating more, but I would also schedule an appointment with your doctor
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I personally would try and avoid drinking vast quantities of fluid during the workout; Metafit's only 1/2 an hour, right? Possibly better to try and keep really well hydrated during the hours before and after, and just sip a bit during. A litre and a half of water sloshing around in your tummy is enough to make anyone feel a bit odd, lol.
  • rick1255
    rick1255 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I post this only as awareness, not to diagnose or scare people.

Just a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with essential tremors which is a neurological condition that  causes shaking of the hands, head, voice and can also cause legs and trunk to shake, and some people have a feeling of internal tremor.

Heightened emotion, stress, fever, physical exhaustion, or low blood sugar may trigger tremors or increase their severity.

ET is not a life-threatening disorder, unless it prevents a person from caring for him or herself. Most people are able to live normal lives with this condition -- although they may find everyday activities like eating, dressing, or writing difficult.

An estimated 10 million Americans have ET.

ET is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson’s disease, yet according to the National Institute of  Neurological Disorders and Stroke, eight times as many people have ET as have Parkinson’s

The above information is from:
    www.essentialtremor.org
    www.webmd.com
    www.ninds.nih.gov