Soylent

Options
Niff314
Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
Anyone on MFP hop on the Soylent train yet? I've been using it for a week, replacing 2 meals (usually breakfast and lunch) and am loving it. Thought I'd see what others thought of it.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't know but in for the

"Soylent green is people"!
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted to buy green food coloring. Ya know, for effect. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I make my own, DIY since I'm not about to wait 6 months for the legit.

Made Choco Drank, Choco Drank premium, and am working on Choco Atoll. You can find them on the diy site.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't believe my sister when she told me about this product. She had to show me the website. "Soylent Green" was before my time, but I still can't take "Soylent" seriously because of the connotation it holds.

As for the product itself, I don't like the idea of drinking all my calories. It also seems like it would get boring after drinking the same thing over and over. I'd rather eat a variety of solid foods. I don't mean to bash your choice to use it, I just feel differently than you do. If its working, then great! As my work mentor would say "Its not wrong, its just different"

I do see some useful applications for it in areas suffering a famine or disaster. A portable, inexpensive, and nutritious food would be invaluable in areas struck by a crisis. From the brief glance at the website that I took, it didn't seem like the creators were trying to go this direction, but I think its a good idea.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I bought it, but haven't used it yet. I hope to hear some feedback too.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I bought it, but haven't used it yet. I hope to hear some feedback too.

use it. use it.

I'm sure official is decent.
  • darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the official Soylent; however mine is the original crowdfunder version, so the version being sold now is slightly different.

In the very beginning when I first got it, it gave me terrible stomach pain and gas, and I thought I wouldn't be able to use it because of this. Strangely, after a year+ hiatus and coming back to my stockpile again (I had purchased a supply for 2 months during their crowd funding campaign), I tried it again, and I now have zero digestive difficulty with it.

I am now replacing all of my work lunches during the week with Soylent, and I love it. I have a very clear morning routine with no guesswork about what I need to assemble before I leave. I use half portions to stay within my calorie deficit, and they usually tide me over well enough until dinner (my largest meal of the day, which has been regular solid food so far).

Since I'm only using it for 5 meals a week and at half portions, my 2 month supply has lasted me a very long time. I am excited, though, to try their latest formula, since they're doing away with the separate oil and adjusting their ratios for carbs/fats/protein.

Overall, I am definitely happy with the product. If I didn't love to eat regular food so much, I'd probably replace more meals with it, but for now it's serving me very well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh they're doing away with the separate oil? I wonder what they used to do that. I use both olive oil and coconut oil in mine. Kind of makes me have to be particular about how I miss it, but it works.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've done a DIY and I liked it a lot. The DIY soylent site has a lot of good recipes.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Whoa! Soylent is real?

Possibly the most awesome news ever.

Dude.
  • dbmata
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Whoa! Soylent is real?

Possibly the most awesome news ever.

I can only vouch for the DIY stuff, but pretty damn good.
  • darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Oh they're doing away with the separate oil? I wonder what they used to do that. I use both olive oil and coconut oil in mine. Kind of makes me have to be particular about how I miss it, but it works.

They recently updated their blog concerning formula 1.4. Apparently it will be using a blend of powdered oil: sunflower, flaxseed, safflower, algal oils, and maltodextrin.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have tapioca maltodextrin, I really should have thought of that. >_<
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear there are others using Soylent. I received the original shipment (one month supply) and liked the product, but was not "ready" to start my weight loss/lifestyle change which was the reason I was originally interested in it. The idea of nutritious meals with little thought or preparation really appealed too me. Being able to consume 100% of the vitamins and minerals each day without popping multivitamins to make up for what food I eat, or don't eat, is a great advantage.

I am now finishing off the original shipment of Soylent 1.0 and I am looking forward to trying Soylent 1.4 that I just received. I started the subscription and will receive a 2 week supply each month. I was excited to learn the newer version is lower in carbohydrates and hope it has a similar taste and texture. It is definitely a bonus that I won't have to worry about adding oil either.

I am currently using it for breakfast and lunch most days with a sensible meal for dinner. It seems to be a good balance for me right now and I find myself craving it when I don't follow this routine. The blended balance of nutrients is something that has really made a difference in my overall sense of well-being and have noticed a difference in how I feel. I hope Soylent 1.4 is just as satisfying.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »

RIGHT lolololo
    Man um I would not have the Soylent and why did they choose that name lololo Now I have to go watch that movie again.
  • dbmata
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »

RIGHT lolololo
    Man um I would not have the Soylent and why did they choose that name lololo Now I have to go watch that movie again.
    Stanford "engineer" with asbergers... you connect whatever dots you want.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    cj2075 wrote: »
    The idea of nutritious meals with little thought or preparation really appealed too me. Being able to consume 100% of the vitamins and minerals each day without popping multivitamins to make up for what food I eat, or don't eat, is a great advantage.

Unfortunately "nutrition" is a lot more complicated than taking a multivitamin. While it's true that you won't develop any serious malnutrition issues (who does these days?), Soylent is far from proven to be nutritious. If you really think ingesting the majority of your calories from Soylent is going to be "healthy" in the long run than I have a bridge to sell you.

And what are you going to do when you get sick of Soylent? Resume your old habits and regain all of the weight you lost?
  • dbmata
    Options
    If the substance is providing all macros and tracked micros, what nutrition and "healthiness" (nebulous, nonsensical term) is missing?

Every tracked RDA micro is hit, and with the DIY you can tailor it directly to what your CBC reflects.

Who is to say Soylent is merely for losing weight? What would happen if it is used for choice, convenience, mass increase, or maintenance?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If the substance is providing all macros and tracked micros, what nutrition and "healthiness" (nebulous, nonsensical term) is missing?

Every tracked RDA micro is hit, and with the DIY you can tailor it directly to what your CBC reflects.

All that means is that you avoid any serious malnutrition. Nothing more. And who gets malnutrition these days? Alcoholics and people with eating disorders. That's about it.

There are a lot of foods out there that have health benefits beyond avoiding malnutrition. And no multivitamin or supplement has ever been shown to give the same health benefits toward longevity that real food like broccoli has.

So while you may be avoiding malnutrition with Soylent, you're still probably missing out on a lot of things found in a diet filled with veggies, fruits, nuts, and fish, etc., that would be very beneficial.
    Who is to say Soylent is merely for losing weight? What would happen if it is used for choice, convenience, mass increase, or maintenance?

There's nothing wrong with that. Soylent probably makes a great meal replacement shake. But if you're just using it as a meal replacement shake then it's not much different than the plethora of other MRP's on the market.

The only thing that makes Soylent unique is that it's supposed to replace all real food.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What precisely would be very beneficial? What exactly is being "missed"? I'm still researching the "gotchas" myself. So I'd love to see some research supporting the idea that soylent causes malnutrition or just marginally avoids it. I'll be honest, when I first heard about it, I thought it was a really stupid version of Isagenix, but with more hipster cred because of the Stanford connection.

The DIY side is fairly robust in community attempting to "hack" nutrition, and not just stave off malnutrition, but maximize performance, and micronutrient mix. So, researching showing that even the best formulated version of this will only provide a marginal intake benefit would be interesting to read.

The only thing(s) that make soylent unique are:
    1. Hipster cred due to a Stanford dip making ridiculous claims.
    2. That it is approached as a whole food, as opposed to something silly like isagenix.
    3. The "open source" approach and the strong DIY community focused on hacking human nutrition and performance.
    4. Extensibility and modularity of the recipe(s).

Still, it's plausible that it's not quite done and has some challenges, as of now there is just anecdata and blood panel claims.