Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)

Options
Hello! I am new to this website and have recently started to take control of my B.E.D. Are there any others on here that have dealt with this eating disorder that have helpful hints & tips? Or just a friendly soul to chat with occasionaly? :smile:

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with it my whole life. I just come out and say that I did have wls in January. But I still have urges, I just physically can't do anything about it now or I'll get violently ill. But before I had the surgery I was working on getting it under control. I started by making myself write down everything I ate during a binge just so I could see how much I was actually eating. 5000calories is what I was putting away in one of my binges! Next I kept reach of when I was binging. I noticed it was usually around 2-4pm. So I would try to go take a walk or get out of the house during that time. Next I quit buying stuff that I would binge on. No chips, candy, cookies, cheese, ect. It's not allowed in the house. Pretty soon if I had a binge attack I'd either have to do it with a head of broccoli and hummus or I'd just not eat cause there was nothing I wanted to pig out on.
    My wake up call was one night when we got pizza and I was working really hard on my eating and only had one slice. When everyone was done eating one of my girls made a comment about there being an entire pizza left, we usually don't have any left. Then it occurred to me that I would eat an entire pizza by myself!
    It's something that I struggle with every single day. It's help to know that I'm are not alone in this. Feel free to add me :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Definitely have had issues. I think there might be a group on here of BED, not sure if the group search function is working yet but you might take a look.

:) Welcome, so glad you're here !
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Waiting to hear back, I'll let you know if I find the group.
  • rhiannajohnson2015
    rhiannajohnson2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am interested in a group too....have always struggled with BED. I have gained and lost 50 pounds several times. A vicious cycle.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Waiting to hear back, I'll let you know if I find the group.

Currently MFP is without a Group search feature so it's been difficult to find the group. :# I'm almost positive their is one as I've seen it in the past.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating for about 9 years now. I'm currently doing well, but it took me a while to get into the right mindset. I had to reinvent my relationship with food. I have had to learn to forgive myself when I slip up, and to try not to feel guilty for eating. I take it one day at a time, and I am focusing more on portion control/moderation, and not worrying so much what I'm eating as long as it's within my calorie goals.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating for about 9 years now. I'm currently doing well, but it took me a while to get into the right mindset. I had to reinvent my relationship with food. I have had to learn to forgive myself when I slip up, and to try not to feel guilty for eating. I take it one day at a time, and I am focusing more on portion control/moderation, and not worrying so much what I'm eating as long as it's within my calorie goals.
    <3
  • coney724
    coney724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You can add me. I've developed a binge eating habit about 7 years ago and it's gotten worst as the years went by. Currently I am 18 days binge free but I still get the urges. I struggle back and forth a lot and need support from others!
  • mary1217mfp
    mary1217mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe I have finally found this! Feeling grateful
  • gwenpally
    gwenpally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I'm guilty of yoyo-ing over the years (about 15) and binge-eating is defs something I need to change for life! I can do quite well for a few days then I'll allow myself a treat and there's just no stopping me. It's like I can be good again when all the treats are gone, but I'll wait til then. Doesn't help that I'm an emotional eater and as a female, I get emotional a lot. Unfortunately I can offer no solutions either but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Also, welcome Good Thymes. I'm new-ish as well (again). Going to do better this time though!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I cannot believe I have finally found this! Feeling grateful

<3
  • saladfairy
    saladfairy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I began binge eating around the age of 14, when I first tried to diet (i.e. starve myself). I would cycle days barely eating and days where I couldn't control myself. it turned into bulimia about 2 years ago, which got progressively worse until a few months ago. I hardly ever purge anymore, but the bingeing is a daily struggle! Slowy, *slowly* growing past it.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I haven't really truly binged since I started MFP (76 days and counting!). There were some days I ate very unhealthily due to stress/anger/what-have-you, but I made it fit into my calorie goal. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to add me!

Some things that I found helpful for myself were to get all the foods I would binge on out of my dorm room. If they weren't around, I'd have to go buy them, and I'd have time to cool off and evaluate if bingeing was worth it (never is). Also, I bought some measuring cups and use those to eat some foods I'd binge on if I didn't have my 'preferred' bingeing foods around. So for, say, peanut butter--if I ate from the jar with a 1/3 tablespoon measuring cup, I knew I could have 6 scoops for a serving. That way, I wasn't eating spoonful after spoonful and could at least monitor myself.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've also had BED for a long time and have yo-yo'd so many times in my weight, but just now (at age 51) am realizing that the main trigger for me is anger. I binge out of anger, not loneliness or boredom as a lot of people do. So recognizing the trigger is a big step- record when you binged and how you were feeling at the time, that should help you recognize when the next one could possibly happen.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am still struggling. Sadly, where i come from, it's not considered to be an eating disorder. Eating disorders in developing countries are rare (as most of the people simply didn't have enough junk food growing up, as it was more expensive than home cooked meals, candy is still way more expensive than fruit etc.), and anorexia and bulimia are the only EDs they have heard of.
    I started struggling with BED when i was 19, when i tried to shed a few pounds for the first time, going on a crash diet. I've learned a lot since then, i don't do crash diets, i don't starve, i work out. I still binge, every week for one or two days, and i get angry at myself and feel ashamed, embarrassed. I really want to overcome this and start living like a normal person, and especially since i feel like i'm undoing week's work by bingeing during weekends. I found that i HAVE to plan an activity during the weekend and not stay at home because i'm most definitely going to binge.

Oh btw i saw a psychologist about my problem and he said "why don't you try eating when you're hungry and stop when you're full"
    Yeah, thanks a lot.
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow - this is totally me and I'm so glad to be reading this. I didn't use to be like this but it is getting worse. It used to be a 15 lb fluctuation over 6 months, but most recently I've put 40 lbs on since Sept (after taking off 30).

I have to find a way to stop this, to stop eating so fast I don't taste food, to stop hiding the food I eat (I know every drive thru on my way home from work and have alternated my use of them so the people who work there won't recognize me).

I am just starting this week and could use any support out there and I'll gladly support others. I'm starting with a meal plan and a no drive-thru goal for the week.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    It sounds kinda lame but I have been using a calendar and I mark a smiley face on each day I stay on track (binge-free). It gives me something to strive for and look forward to at the end of the day knowing that I did well and get to put my smiley face on. I had 1 day last week where I binged and I marked a big X on the day, I hate seeing that X now, makes me wish I had not binged (obviously) and it also makes me want the next smiley face more.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    It sounds kinda lame but I have been using a calendar and I mark a smiley face on each day I stay on track (binge-free). It gives me something to strive for and look forward to at the end of the day knowing that I did well and get to put my smiley face on. I had 1 day last week where I binged and I marked a big X on the day, I hate seeing that X now, makes me wish I had not binged (obviously) and it also makes me want the next smiley face more.

Funny because I was looking for my stickers earlier to put a cute one up! Then I read your post. ;) How about if you don't mark the binge days at all, no fun sticker but also not beating yourself up with an ugly giant X either?

We can look forward to see all the stickers and the days that might not have a sticker, we already know what happened. As time passes more and more stickers are in a row... it feels good.

What do you think? No I don't think it's lame at all but think you should go buy a pkg. of fun and colorful stickers.. try Hobby Lobby, Micheal's..they are super cheap there and have tons of variety in the sticker section.

Let's try and have fun with success! (*)

If anyone wants to join that B.E.D. group on MFP...the link is up above. I've joined it very recently but haven't gotten active there yet. ;)