Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)

Options

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a hot beverage when you start bingeing? That usually helps get passed it, also when I'm bingeing and I'm conscious of it I make myself drink a glass of water for every helping of something I have. I eat a cookie, I drink water.
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    coney724 wrote: »
    Hi there. You can add me. I've developed a binge eating habit about 7 years ago and it's gotten worst as the years went by. Currently I am 18 days binge free but I still get the urges. I struggle back and forth a lot and need support from others!
    OMG that's awesome! I'm finishing out Day 4 binge free and feel such a sense of freedom even in this short of time... empowered. I know there will be days that are not easy and I appreciate those of you that have shared tips and tricks and are being open as you are. <3

Even letting in new friends here that also have binge issues is a new thing for me. It's both exciting & comforting to feel I'm not alone in this and that there's others to talk to that don't think it's bizarre.

It's the highs to lows that are hard ...I was just sharing on my page in comment to @xandralaw that for me it's like a roller coaster. If I go with a trigger food it's not just that day but days after or weeks or longer in the past. Like I eat whatever is an issue and then need another fix the next day and so on. Is that how it works for you guys?

It's just me and my kitty ^..^ here so bringing food in is where my issue is, I don't keep any in the house regularly. But it's going out to get it (grocery store, fast food etc.) in the first place that grinds at my mind until I cave or somehow alter my thoughts and don't do it. It's like it's gotta be enough to get me through the binge and I have to eat it all THAT Day so I don't have trigger stuff in the house the next morning. smh.. It makes no sense but it makes all the sense in the world in my mind when I'm in the mode.[/b]

Thanks for listening ;)
    Hearts <3

Wow-I could have written your last 2 paragraphs. Thank you so much for sharing that. I have to eat it all THAT DAY so I can 'do better' tomorrow. Sometimes 'tomorrow' comes, but usually not. A few weeks ago I binged for 2 weeks straight. I honestly thought I was the only one who ever did such stupid things. I'm not glad that either one of us does this, but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing.
  • mary1217mfp
    mary1217mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @NoIdea101NoIdea - I absolutely relate! Food is what I use to avoid what seems like any emotions - positive or negative; plus the first thing I do when I have any alone time is fantasize about what unhealthy "treat" I'm going to have. Why do I do that? Thank you for your practical suggestions. As the weekend is approaching and there may be an opportunity for an hour or two of "me time" I wonder what choices I will make?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I hope you make healthy ones :)

(But yes, I now have 7 days off work so this really is going to be a test!).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing the link, I think it might be on the 1st page too.

Some of us have been sharing that we signed up as members but feel for now more comfortable here .. It was very hard for me to even share here..but so glad I did. :) So this is where I am for now.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    xandralaw wrote: »
    The counselor I am working with also said not to label things as bad, it only fuels the guilt and the shame which can perpetuate the bingeing. Easier said than done of course when after a binge you feel awful physically - but its all about a mindset change I guess.

@xandralaw I struggle with not using the bad food, good food labeling. What your counselor said makes so much sense. I find it hard because it's not the healthier choices I binge on or struggle with so that makes them seem like good food vs. binge foods.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    zebacuff wrote: »
    This article has been helpful for me:

http://www.niashanks.com/20-tips-binge-eating/

@zebacuff Looking forward to reading it... I looked at it and skimmed it and will finish up when I have a bit more time. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Nuka_Gina wrote: »
    I just wanted to say thank you for posting this! :)

@GoodThymes I agree... I think many of us are grateful you broached the topic and began a thread... many of us now feel we 'aren't alone' in this.

Thank you <3
  • Ursine714
    Ursine714 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOL I seem to feel more comfortable here right now too. The thought of a "group" setting scares me but I know I'm in a "group" setting here too! The workings of my mind.

I'm avoiding my trigger foods right now and not sure how it will work come Sunday at dinner. I'm also off for most of spring break and am getting nervous. Once I fall off the wagon, it's hard to jump back on. Trying not to over think things.

It's been 4 days of clean eating and logging everything. I tend to stop logging if I binge... the cycle in my head is beginning again!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ursine714 wrote: »
    LOL I seem to feel more comfortable here right now too. The thought of a "group" setting scares me but I know I'm in a "group" setting here too! The workings of my mind.

I'm avoiding my trigger foods right now and not sure how it will work come Sunday at dinner. I'm also off for most of spring break and am getting nervous. Once I fall off the wagon, it's hard to jump back on. Trying not to over think things.

It's been 4 days of clean eating and logging everything. I tend to stop logging if I binge... the cycle in my head is beginning again!

Somehow it just seems different to me here. :)
    safer...
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I didn't take control until I finally broke down and told my therapist. I was so ashamed and hiding it that it was like second nature to never let the secret out. But, I'm so grateful I did talk to her because I was doing it out of depression and hibernation (what she said) and until I conquered those I couldn't move past it. I'm still not over the hill yet but I'm learning triggers and when binges are starting. I'm learning to divert myself so I don't feel like a drunk person that just awoke in a blind stupor not remembering what I ate. My last binge was somewhere over 3700 calories and that's only what I remember from it. I'm still stabbing at the root of the problem but one day at a time.

what an amazing and brave post - i am so proud of you for writing this - that you have the strength to share this proves you have the strength to beat this! I can tell you're awesome and i can tell you've got this!! :wink:
  • xandralaw
    Options
    jwebb579 wrote: »
    Hello! I've struggled with just about evey type of ED, but primarily BED for nearly the last 20 years. This is really the first time I've seriously acknowledged it and have decided to stop shaming myself for it, but rather seek help in the way of support for myself, and hopefully supporting others. I'd love to continue dialog with whomever would like to follow me. This time around my goal is not to be losing, or gaining, counting or obsessing, but rather a goal of overall health and happiness! :smile:

YES! :)
  • xandralaw
    Options
    puja25 wrote: »
    I am a binge eater, mostly when my emotions fluctuate. I would binge late night when everybody is off to sleep. It included chips, bread, leftover even fruits. I just needed to stuff my mouth and watch some movie while binging so that i can shut off my mind and mechanically eat until I feel sick. The entire day I would eat normal, but at night I would easily consume 1500-3000 calories at one go. I also loved eating out, any fatty , salty food. My Binge started after I lost a massive 45kg. Then due to my binge eating and drinking alcohol I put all my weight back. For the past one month I have avoided eating out and and have binged just one day. I am proud of myself. I am taking baby steps and trying to control my urges and understand my emotions better. That is the key I assume, to find balance.

Wow do I relate to this - I would snitch stuff out of the fridge and try to chew and swallow it before my husband came back in the kitchen - or eat leftover food off my kids plates while cleaning up the kitchen - then the going out, fatty/salty - BINGO! I lost 30 lbs over 2 years and put 40 lbs on in the last 5 months. Baby steps sistah - baby steps.
  • xandralaw
    Options
    It's so relieving to see actual people with actual tips and stories to share on BED because it's something that before recently, never came up in media and I was always way too ashamed to admit...

I need serious help and I'm not sure whether I should seek a professional or not. It's really impacting my performance at the gym and in my sport, but when I am about to begin or beginning an episode, I seem almost out of my own control. It's like my brain blacks out during a binge episode and just can't stop until I've thoroughly overdone it, and then I'm in pain and have trouble falling asleep that night (because my episodes are usually late-night, when I'm alone).

Help :(

You are taking a good first step by being here and reaching out, so good for you! There seems to be several of us that are in some sort of counseling or going to OEA or both. Either way I would recommend you continue to reach out for support in whichever way feels most comfortable for you. In the meantime, we are here too <3
  • xandralaw
    Options
    angier321 wrote: »
    coney724 wrote: »
    Hi there. You can add me. I've developed a binge eating habit about 7 years ago and it's gotten worst as the years went by. Currently I am 18 days binge free but I still get the urges. I struggle back and forth a lot and need support from others!
    OMG that's awesome! I'm finishing out Day 4 binge free and feel such a sense of freedom even in this short of time... empowered. I know there will be days that are not easy and I appreciate those of you that have shared tips and tricks and are being open as you are. <3

Even letting in new friends here that also have binge issues is a new thing for me. It's both exciting & comforting to feel I'm not alone in this and that there's others to talk to that don't think it's bizarre.

It's the highs to lows that are hard ...I was just sharing on my page in comment to @xandralaw that for me it's like a roller coaster. If I go with a trigger food it's not just that day but days after or weeks or longer in the past. Like I eat whatever is an issue and then need another fix the next day and so on. Is that how it works for you guys?

It's just me and my kitty ^..^ here so bringing food in is where my issue is, I don't keep any in the house regularly. But it's going out to get it (grocery store, fast food etc.) in the first place that grinds at my mind until I cave or somehow alter my thoughts and don't do it. It's like it's gotta be enough to get me through the binge and I have to eat it all THAT Day so I don't have trigger stuff in the house the next morning. smh.. It makes no sense but it makes all the sense in the world in my mind when I'm in the mode.[/b]

Thanks for listening ;)
    Hearts <3

Wow-I could have written your last 2 paragraphs. Thank you so much for sharing that. I have to eat it all THAT DAY so I can 'do better' tomorrow. Sometimes 'tomorrow' comes, but usually not. A few weeks ago I binged for 2 weeks straight. I honestly thought I was the only one who ever did such stupid things. I'm not glad that either one of us does this, but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing.

YES! Now I get what you were saying! Yes, eat ALL the chips so that they aren't there tomorrow to binge on because it is always going to be better - tomorrow... and the cycle continues. Totally relate!
  • xandralaw
    Options
    Ursine714 wrote: »

Just take it one day at a time - a binge day doesn't have to mean a binge week - the next morning is a new day and we'll all be here, fighting the same fight. Beating up on yourself will add fuel to the fire and make the binge harder to resist. The hardest part for me is learning to forgive myself - to let go of that "bad food" label and just move on. Baby steps and we can do this.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would love people to friend me! I have struggled with BED since about the fourth grade! So that is like 42 years! I have gained and lost the same 70 pounds more than I can count do to the binges!
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So glad I founf this thread! You guys describe me to a T! I can relate to all of you. Feels good to know you are not alone in this daily struggle.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So glad I founf this thread! You guys describe me to a T! I can relate to all of you. Feels good to know you are not alone in this daily struggle.

@believeinme0430 Doesn't it though?! Glad you found the thread :)

@Sarahsteve7kids Sent! :smile: