Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)

Options

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You just have to try to get out of the cycle. Binge, Sick, Guilt, Starve. That was me. Binge until I was sick. Once the sickness wore off then the guilt would come. I'm a bad person, what did I just do to my body? I just ruined everything! Then I would starve myself the next day to make up for the mistakes I made but I was so hungry that I just binged again. So forgiving yourself is also a huge part of moving on from bingeing. One, two, three.. mistakes, don't let them ruin your success.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Ursine714 wrote: »
    LOL I seem to feel more comfortable here right now too. The thought of a "group" setting scares me but I know I'm in a "group" setting here too! The workings of my mind.

I'm avoiding my trigger foods right now and not sure how it will work come Sunday at dinner. I'm also off for most of spring break and am getting nervous. Once I fall off the wagon, it's hard to jump back on. Trying not to over think things.

It's been 4 days of clean eating and logging everything. I tend to stop logging if I binge... the cycle in my head is beginning again!

Somehow it just seems different to me here. :)
    safer...

I actually feel the same way. I was an on and off weight watcher's member (which actually made the binge eating worse, in my opinion) and I NEVER felt comfortable going to the weekly meetings. I always felt like I was being judged. What I like about on the forums is that you can choose what you want to respond to and what you don't want to respond to, so it's really all about what you want to talk about.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I finally realized there are just a few things I really can't eat, like cake and ice cream. I do eat treats but somethings just get my brain chemistry too worked up. This is the opposite of the "moderation" model, much more an "addiction" model. It it works better for me. Good luck!
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So glad I founf this thread! You guys describe me to a T! I can relate to all of you. Feels good to know you are not alone in this daily struggle.

It has already helped me this week just knowing I'm not the only one who obsesses about food! Day 4 binge free :)
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    You just have to try to get out of the cycle. Binge, Sick, Guilt, Starve. That was me. Binge until I was sick. Once the sickness wore off then the guilt would come. I'm a bad person, what did I just do to my body? I just ruined everything! Then I would starve myself the next day to make up for the mistakes I made but I was so hungry that I just binged again. So forgiving yourself is also a huge part of moving on from bingeing. One, two, three.. mistakes, don't let them ruin your success.

I couldn't agree more! Beating up on ourselves brings more negativity which just invites the binge. We have to break the cycle!
  • lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am 57 years old and remember binge eating as a child. I knew i was different from other people. I am so happy that this disorder has a name. All of the guilt and shame i felt was just awful. MFP has been so helpful for me. I am 1 month binge free.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am 57 years old and remember binge eating as a child. I knew i was different from other people. I am so happy that this disorder has a name. All of the guilt and shame i felt was just awful. MFP has been so helpful for me. I am 1 month binge free.

Congrats, that's fantastic.. milestones are huge in this mess. 1 Day, 1 week, 1 month, even hours binge free are monumental.
  • beth557755
    beth557755 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kiku10 wrote: »
    I finally realized there are just a few things I really can't eat, like cake and ice cream. I do eat treats but somethings just get my brain chemistry too worked up. This is the opposite of the "moderation" model, much more an "addiction" model. It it works better for me. Good luck!

I can relate. I definitely have trigger foods that I can in no way moderate. I do best by avoiding certain stuff entirely. Also there is something about having an open package of something that I can't resist finishing. It's like I can never leave anything unfinished...weird. Whether that be a package of cookies or chips. People who can just eat a portion of something and put it away and save it amaze the hell out of me. Family sized bags of chips or smaller bags. If it is open, it is going down.
  • suraith
    suraith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time not eating the whole package of whatever- cookies, chips etc. My son has started copying this behavior which creates even more guilt. I Know that I'm a emotional eater but stopping it from happening is the problem! Im going to try some of the ideas you have suggested and see what helps.

• adamitri
    Options
    beth557755 wrote: »
    Kiku10 wrote: »

I can relate. I definitely have trigger foods that I can in no way moderate. I do best by avoiding certain stuff entirely. Also there is something about having an open package of something that I can't resist finishing. It's like I can never leave anything unfinished...weird. Whether that be a package of cookies or chips. People who can just eat a portion of something and put it away and save it amaze the hell out of me. Family sized bags of chips or smaller bags. If it is open, it is going down.

My house is full of little baggies. Soon as I buy something like a bag of chips I make portion baggies. This has helped me immensely.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    so. yesterday makes one day binge free. Today is a celebration day, so I'll be trying not to binge while taking part in delicious desserts and such (One of my offspring survived to legal adulthood today. Woot.) It's a balancing act. Going to try to be more honest about my logging and admitting my issues with food. One moment at a time.

I think I might be almost ready to talk to my psychiatrist about getting set up with a counselor that specializes in eating disorders. (The anti-depressant has helped, but maybe not enough. I have a follow-up this week.) I just don't want to say the words out loud, like that will make it more real, although the mouthfuls of Nestle White morsels and going through large jars of peanut butter and two small jars of Jam/preserves in less than a week (by myself - no one else was eating them) says it is.
  • adamitri
    Options
    You can do it. The hardest part is the reaching out to someone. After I got it out to someone it was almost a relief, like the burden wasn't mine to carry alone anymore.
  • TechNerd42
    Options
    I made it through at only 16 calories over. Although the brownies I made for my son... Wow. I only had 1, although more called my name. I didn't even have to chew gum to avoid eating more. Today when I go grocery shopping though, I'll definitely have gum with me. It seems to help me not buy stuff that isn't on my list. Thank you guys for being here.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited April 2015
    Options
    linnea4 wrote: »
    I made it through at only 16 calories over. Although the brownies I made for my son... Wow. I only had 1, although more called my name. I didn't even have to chew gum to avoid eating more. Today when I go grocery shopping though, I'll definitely have gum with me. It seems to help me not buy stuff that isn't on my list. Thank you guys for being here.

That's awesome Girl! Yesterday I hit the grocery stores for fruits, veggies, etc. I did great but the walk through Easter Candy Hell wasn't the most fun. lol It's like you're assaulted by it when you walk into the grocery store because they're trying to get rid of it this weekend.

So it's all jammed in displays before you get in the main store door and then again as soon as you're in the store. :# I just tried to steel my mind and focus on picking up Halos and moving on from there. It wasn't as hard as it would have been 5 days ago so staying away from trigger foods is working for me! I hit Walgreen's for something and again with the bunnies and the baskets...UGH All I was picking up was some paper products and it seemed like chocolate bunnies were dancing in the aisles screaming out. Why must they taunt us?! :tongue:

So me and my paper products walked out the door bunny-less and I felt strong,
  • Hearts_2015
    edited April 2015
    Options
    missyjg99 wrote: »
    I just started a vyvanse drug trial. For me, it's been working amazingly well. I never thought I'd go the medication route. Binge eating is so embarrassing and depressing. Then you have the "it's not real" skeptics. But it is real for me. This medication has decreased my urges to binge, increased my focus, increased my energy, and I just feel more in control of my life.
    I still go to group therapy as well.
    Best of luck to you!

@missyjg99 I've not heard of it before are you having any side effects from it? I'll have to look it up.

I do individual therapy but often wish a group was available as well, I think it would be really helpful for me.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    My apologies... :# I have a number of friend requests via this group and hit deny instead of accept.. I wasn't paying enough attention apparently? So if anyone sent me one please know that I've added anyone on here and it wasn't anything personal, it was merely me goofing up.
    Please feel friend to friend request again if you'd like. :)
  • TechNerd42
    Options
    So, I did not keep the streak. Today is a new day. One moment at a time.
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I must say thank you to all of you who have been chatting about this recently here. Before reading the last week or so on this board about BED, I HONESTLY thought I was the only one that ever did this. It was like some sort of terrible thing i did. I guess it's a relief to know I'm not the only one. I don't think any of us really want to do this, but for me, it's kind of a relief to know I'm NOT the only one. Maybe there's some sort of safety in numbers?? It's been a few days since I've binged, very happy about that. All of you have helped me to realize that I'm not alone, so big thank you to all that have responded on these threads.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    These threads are a huge help when you feel all alone and to know that there are others who are going through the same struggle everyday day that you are. That they understand you when your family doesn't get it. I tried to explain it to my husband but I think I have hidden it well from him. I binge when I am not around him or sneak off to eat something quick out of shame. He says but hun you don't eat that bad but if he only knew what I ate when he's not around but I try my best everyday and take it one day at a time.
  • adamitri
    Options
    These threads are a huge help when you feel all alone and to know that there are others who are going through the same struggle everyday day that you are. That they understand you when your family doesn't get it. I tried to explain it to my husband but I think I have hidden it well from him. I binge when I am not around him or sneak off to eat something quick out of shame. He says but hun you don't eat that bad but if he only knew what I ate when he's not around but I try my best everyday and take it one day at a time.

It's good you've opened up to him though. My family just thinks I'm stuffing my fat face and I should just put the fork down. If only it was that easy.