Can you make chex mix using chex cereals?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget the first time my mom made Chex Mix for New Year's Eve, from the recipe on the backs of the boxes. It was the bomb. I'm an store bough Chex Mix addict, but even the bold variety pales in comparison to my memory of that first batch my mom made when I was a kid. :smiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Youngsters. I'm sure making your own Chex mix was before OP's time.

My mom used to make it with soy sauce and butter, and add pretzels and peanuts. It was kinda gross.

That's because you're supposed to make it with worcestershire suace, not soy sauce. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

My mom used to make it with soy sauce and butter, and add pretzels and peanuts. It was kinda gross.

That's because you're supposed to make it with worcestershire suace, not soy sauce. :)

Ah, that's probably what she did and I'm just remembering it wrong. It was many years ago. But the peanuts and pretzels were a turnoff, so I would just pick a few pieces of Chex out and then move on to more interesting food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Ah, that's probably what she did and I'm just remembering it wrong. It was many years ago. But the peanuts and pretzels were a turnoff, so I would just pick a few pieces of Chex out and then move on to more interesting food.

Peanuts ... a turnoff?? We seem to both be speaking English, but... Is this a new slang term, like saying "bad" when you mean "good"?
    :/
    Quick. Say something good about bacon. Or chocolate. Or cheese.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like my chex coated in chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Muddy buddies!

You can buy if pre-made. It's yucky
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Chex mix was the rage of the 50s! I still can't make it the way my mother did.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make Chex Mix all year round - it's a snack that I always have on hand. I only use rice and corn chex, though, and up the quantities to make up for the stuff I'm skipping. I think it works out to 6 cups of each. I make the sauce that's on the box and bake it. It's amazing stuff. I divide it into 2 cup servings, and it works out to about 220 calories per serving. Not too bad.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Muddy buddies!

We call this Puppy Chow. Is this a regional thing?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Geez, this makes me feel old. I remember a time when the only way to get Chex Mix was to make it yourself.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    theston412 wrote: »
    Muddy buddies!

Yeah its the same. I switch between the two due to having friends from all over
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This is the nutrition label of the store bought Chex Mix. It has more oil than the kind made at home.
    odvypsi1x9q7.png

t3trtm3f9jbf.png

And contains partially hydrogenated oils, which is why I only eat homemade Chex Mix.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I make it with EVOO instead of butter and I add sriracha. It's just about the only food I really feel like I can't eat in moderation so I very, very rarely make it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think the recipe for making "Chex Party Mix" was on the boxes in the 1950s! I keep seeing things on the web that claim to be the "original" recipe but call for bagel chips. There was no such thing as a bagel chip back then! Here's an article describing what may be the original recipe from 1952 http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/12/authentic-original-original-1952-chex.html#axzz3WEHQnsJg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    theston412 wrote: »
    Muddy buddies!

Yes. When I was growing up in CA we called this Muddy Buddy. Then I moved to Texas, and they called it puppy chow. I was like wtf is puppy chow? Same thing!

I learnt how to make it in Illinois and it was called Puppy Chow :) lived on it during theatre rehearsals!