Can you make chex mix using chex cereals?

Options
I've met with a nutritionist regarding my iron deficiency and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods in addition to the supplement.

I found out that chex cereals like rice chex, corn chex, and wheat chex have lots of iron. So would you be able to weigh the serving sizes of the chex cereals and buy a bag of chex mix and take the pretzels and other stuff from there and add it to the cereal or would this not taste the same as chex mix?

Does anyone know which chex cereals are used in chex mix? Are they the same thing? There's the lighter and darker chex pieces but Idk if that's a certain cereal or if it's just similar to chex cereal.

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Chex mix is made with chex cereal - they have a TON of recipes on their website for it. You could do an all chex mix (no pretzels, etc) and that would be good. I think you can pick whichever cereal you prefer. I can't remember the website but just search for chex and you will find it. I looked once and there were so many recipes there it made my head spin. The chex mix recipe is a LOT older than the packaged stuff - they started selling it because it was such a popular recipe but they use the same cereal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is the nutrition label of the store bought Chex Mix. It has more oil than the kind made at home.
    odvypsi1x9q7.png

t3trtm3f9jbf.png
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    All of us old people remember when the ONLY way to get Chex Mix was to buy the cereal and a little packet of Chex branded seasoning, and make your own.
    I wonder if you can still get those packets? I'm guessing not.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Chex mix or Chex cereal barely have enough iron to make it worth using as a source. Do you know how many servings you'd have to eat to reach 100% of the RDA? That's a lot of calories!

Better sources of iron are animal proteins, leafy greens, dried fruit, and legumes. The old wives tale also states that cooking in a cast iron pan will leach iron into your food, correcting deficiencies, but I've never seem more than anecdotal evidence. Still, cast iron cookware makes food delicious, so the wort thing that could happen is that your meats and eggs get tastier.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Chex mix or Chex cereal barely have enough iron to make it worth using as a source. Do you know how many servings you'd have to eat to reach 100% of the RDA? That's a lot of calories!

Better sources of iron are animal proteins, leafy greens, dried fruit, and legumes. The old wives tale also states that cooking in a cast iron pan will leach iron into your food, correcting deficiencies, but I've never seem more than anecdotal evidence. Still, cast iron cookware makes food delicious, so the wort thing that could happen is that your meats and eggs get tastier.

Chex cereals have a lot of iron. It was on the paper that my nutritionist gave me about iron rich food. Wheat chex has 80% iron for 1 serving size and rice and corn chex have 50% for 1 serving size so if you mix them together you have way over 100% iron. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the other suggestions though! I don't have cast iron. I've heard it takes a while to get used to and you have to clean it a special way and that it can also give some food a metallic taste so that's why I haven't bought one.

Ah. I wonder why it would be so much higher in the cereal than in the mix, which uses the cereal. That's odd.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The best bioavailable iron will come from dark greens like spinach, broccoli, or tatsoi (which also has tons of calcium, I'll be planting a lot this spring!)

Liver has a TON of iron, but I can't choke it down.

Other beef and lamb cuts are also excellent sources.

When in real trouble, ask for a prescription supplement. I had a terrible rare form of anemia during one of my pregnancies and the prescription supplement was all my stomach could handle.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Chex cereals have a lot of iron. It was on the paper that my nutritionist gave me about iron rich food. Wheat chex has 80% iron for 1 serving size and rice and corn chex have 50% for 1 serving size so if you mix them together you have way over 100% iron. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the other suggestions though! I don't have cast iron. I've heard it takes a while to get used to and you have to clean it a special way and that it can also give some food a metallic taste so that's why I haven't bought one.

Ah. I wonder why it would be so much higher in the cereal than in the mix, which uses the cereal. That's odd.

Because in the mix there's more than just the cereal: pretzels, oil, seasoning, bagel chips. Not that much of the actual cereal
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    All of us old people remember when the ONLY way to get Chex Mix was to buy the cereal and a little packet of Chex branded seasoning, and make your own.

dude, I'm old enough to remember when they didn't have the packets, you had to USE YOUR OWN SPICES.

In other news....Mah Lawn: Get Offa It.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited April 2015
    Options

Because in the mix there's more than just the cereal: pretzels, oil, seasoning, bagel chips. Not that much of the actual cereal

That still doesn't add up. Each kind of Chex mix that I've seen uses 2 kinds of Chex, plus about 5 other ingredients (pretzels, something sweet, little cookies, etc.), usually in equal measures, so at least 1/3 to 1/4 of the bag should be Chex. It even appears that way on the pics on the bag, and from the actual bowls I've seen. It's quite a leap to go from 80% of the RDA to 2%, even taking into account the different serving sizes. Even considering the addition of the other ingredients and a smaller serving size, one would assume a serving would have at least 10%. They must really be gypping people on the Chex in the Chex Mix.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Can someone clarify for me? Is the OP's question: "Can I make chex mix with chex cereal?"

Yes, but also, which Chex cereals are in the Chex mix. Actually, that depends on which flavor. If you look at the bags, they say which cereals are used, whether it's rice, corn, wheat, etc.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

@peachyplum
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Chex-Party-Seasoning-packets/dp/B0077DF4Q8
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Can someone clarify for me? Is the OP's question: "Can I make chex mix with chex cereal?"

Yes, this is serious business.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

@peachyplum
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Chex-Party-Seasoning-packets/dp/B0077DF4Q8

Yessss!

Oh, sweet nostalgia.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When in doubt go to source.

http://www.chex.com/recipes/original-chex-party-mix-snack-bar/c077758f-3d87-443f-97d3-e24afb15192e

I'd cut the fat in half and I'd try EVOO instead of butter.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No. I use Capt. Crunch.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Oh snap...did not realize .

And..lol.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    *sigh* Youngsters. I'm sure making your own Chex mix was before OP's time.

My mom used to make it with soy sauce and butter, and add pretzels and peanuts. It was kinda gross.