muscle versus fat

Options
Does anyone know how long my weight will go up because of muscle before I stay losing? It is really discouraging to be working so hard and trying to eat right and still not losing weight.

Replies

• CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and tracking everything?

Do you do weight training?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit, you should be losing weight, even if you're lifting/exercising. Is that your goal?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Evie, you need to provide much more detail :smile:

Your calorie goal?
    Weight lifting, cardio or both?
    How long have you been exercising/dieting etc?
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    If you're over weight, and in a calorie deficit(losing weight) your muscle mass won't go UP. If you're gaining and in a calorie deficit, it's due to water weight.

You said you have been trying for a while now? Well as i originally said, if you're not losing you're not in a calorie deficit, so lower your calories.

Lower her cals? We don't know if she's tracking her current cals properly yet.

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you're retaining water. How long have you been trying to lose and how long has your weight been staying the same or going up? Likely you just need to be patient.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It won't generally be going up.

Sorry to see you in jail again.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    We don't know how many cals she's on currently. She might only be on 1200 or something (as I see on here so often when people want to drop weight fast) so lowering them would be unadvisable.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    eviehowie wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long my weight will go up because of muscle before I stay losing? It is really discouraging to be working so hard and trying to eat right and still not losing weight.

It's a myth that you gain weight with muscles. Stop overeating and exercise more, and it will come off.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options

It's a myth that you gain weight with muscles. Stop overeating and exercise more, and it will come off.

A myth? No, you can gain weight from new muscle. But you need to be eating a calorie surplus, and weight training to gain muscle.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

A myth? No, you can gain weight from new muscle. But you need to be eating a calorie surplus, and weight training to gain muscle.

Yes you need to be lifting about four hours a day and eating 5,000 calories. That is NOT what the OP was talking about.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Yes you need to be lifting about four hours a day and eating 5,000 calories. That is NOT what the OP was talking about.

wut?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If your eating at a deficit, your not gaining muscle.
    To ensure your really eating at a deficit, you must weigh and measure everything you consume then log it accurately
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With the exception of newbie gains, you're not building muscle in a deficit. I would reevaluate your caloric intake.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    We don't know how many cals she's on currently. She might only be on 1200 or something (as I see on here so often when people want to drop weight fast) so lowering them would be unadvisable.

If she's on 1,200 calories don't you think she'd be losing weight and not making this post? It's also possible she "THINKS" she's eating 1,200 calories but eating more. SO if she cuts her calories, she will be eating more than the number she thinks she's eating. Studies have shown that people have a tendency to UNDER estimate their calories consumed.

Lets say she's on 1,200 calories and not losing, then in that case, what would you recommend???

I'm not suggesting anything until we know how many calories she's on currently, how she's tracking her food, how long she's been on the plan and what, if any exercise she's doing.

My whole point is you can't give out advice without knowing key pieces of information.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    She's eating more than she's burning. Duh.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The amount of muscle you gain from normal exercise is unlikely to result in weight gain if you are eating at a deficit. A more likely explanation is that you are retaining water. You aren't likely to see gains from water weight for more than a couple of weeks. If you aren't losing weight by the third week, you are probably eating too much.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I'm in to quadruple my time in the weight room and add a couple of thousand calories to my daily allotment! All the gains will be mine!

Or something...
  • CatHunterFit
    Options

I'm in to quadruple my time in the weight room and add a couple of thousand calories to my daily allotment! All the gains will be mine!

Or something...

:p