Skinny fat- calorie surplus?

Options
Kittenforever78
Kittenforever78 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 5'6 female and two months ago was 131 pounds. I am now 127 pounds after lifting heavy and I can see a difference. I am on a medication that makes me hold onto extra water so my actual weight is more like 124 (according to doctor). I lost a lot of muscle mass last year from a medical problem that I am trying to gain back.

I'm focusing on hitting macros and not so much calorie counting since I'm not trying to lose weight. I don't use the MFP app and instead just write down grams of protein. My calorie intake varies from 3k-4k calories a day and I still lost weight after I started working out. Is this normal to lose weight and look more muscular? I find that I can easily lift things I used to have trouble with etc. I'm not sure if I should be eating more calories or continue with what I'm currently doing. Thank you!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sorry but if you think you can eat 3k-4k calories a day and lose weight with your stats while just lifting heavy...no.

...you aren't eating as much as you think.

*wow never thought I would say that...

you need to start logging accurately to see exactly how much you are eating...

you say you watch protein grams...how many on average are you getting? along with Fats and carbs?
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's no way.....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Sorry but if you think you can eat 3k-4k calories a day and lose weight with your stats while just lifting heavy...no.

...you aren't eating as much as you think.

*wow never thought I would say that...

you need to start logging accurately to see exactly how much you are eating...

you say you watch protein grams...how many on average are you getting? along with Fats and carbs?

co signed
  • Kittenforever78
    Options
    Actually I do... Yesterday I ate a little below 3600. When I do log everything for that day it comes out to be over 3000. I used to work for an eating disorder clinic so I know how to accurately count calories. I am eating 70-80 grams of protein per day mainly from chicken and protein shakes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Actually I do... Yesterday I ate a little below 3600. When I do log everything for that day it comes out to be over 3000. I used to work for an eating disorder clinic so I know how to accurately count calories. I am eating 70-80 grams of protein per day mainly from chicken and protein shakes.

are you using a food scale to weight all your foods?

if you truly are eating that much and not gaining, then I suggest going to your DR immediately ...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Do you participate in daily triathlons, as well?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options

Can you give an example of what you believe to be 3600 calories?

Also - if you're eating that much, you'd likely have a heck of a lot more than 70-80 grams of protein, unless you're just ingesting straight olive oil, butter, and/or sugar. 70-80g of protein only accounts for about 300 calories (about 8% of your total supposed caloric intake)
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you participate in daily triathlons, as well?

LOL :wink:

• Kittenforever78
    Options
    I'm not using a food scale because i am not looking to lose weight. I go off packing and that's accurate enough for me since my goal is over 3k calories. I've asked him about it and his answer was fast metabolism. Everyone in my family is thin and eats large amounts. I did not exercise before this and ate the same calories and now that I'm exercising and losing I'm wondering if I need to eat more.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a food scale because i am not looking to lose weight. I go off packing and that's accurate enough for me since my goal is over 3k calories. I've asked him about it and his answer was fast metabolism. Everyone in my family is thin and eats large amounts. I did not exercise before this and ate the same calories and now that I'm exercising and losing I'm wondering if I need to eat more.

right there is the problem. You are massively over estimating your portions.

Get a food scale and weigh everything for a week and you will be surprised as to what your real intake is.

I am a 35 year old male, 179 pounds and when I was bulking I gained at 3100 a day. Are you really saying that the intake level to gain for a 127 pound female is more than a 175 to 185 pound male???
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Which equals 320 calories...so the rest is carbs and fat?

I am taller, heavier, lift heavy, run, walk and I maintain on about 2200-2400 daily....and I eat 120 grams of protein a day..again no...
  • Kittenforever78
    Options
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Can you give an example of what you believe to be 3600 calories?

Quoting myself

And OP to mean people in 12 posts has gotta be top 10.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.

Again, not hearing what you want to hear turns into an attack? You asked people for suggestions and they gave it to you. It's hard to believe that you are in fact actually eating that much.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You know doctors only get about a 4-5day nutrition course right?

Again if you are eating as much as you claim how do you know for sure? you aren't counting...just protein and that small amount you quoted doesn't give you many calories so where are the rest coming from?

Are you drinking bacon fat?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yep. OP, kindly share what you eat in a day, i.e. maybe open your diary. The above comments are perfectly justified: what’s more likely, that you defy the basic math behind weight loss/gain, or that you are making errors in your calorie calculations?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and prove everyone wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Open your diary and prove everyone wrong.
    oh they don't track on here just write down the 70-80 grams of protein they consume.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

And OP to mean people in 12 posts has gotta be top 10.

This... happens a lot, I'm noticing. Which is a shame.

Yeah, some people can be terse but obviously if someone's asking for advice you're asking because you believe that someone of greater experience & knowledge than you will answer. To then immediately rebuke it & call it abuse is madness.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Maybe OP should in fact track calories for a few days and then open the diary. Calorie tracking isn’t just for weight loss, after all.