"That's what you get for living there"

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
Watching the 10 year anniversary programs about Katrina reminded me of reading a lot of this sentiment on the internets (and I'm from LA, so...)

But that's not the purpose of this thread...

What natural disasters are possible where you live?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm north of Houston now, so droughts, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail, ice storms and small earthquakes are our most likely.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm in Melbourne, Australia. We are on a fault and apparently at minor risk of a quake, but really the immediate area is high risk for bushfires, and flooding.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I live in Tornado Alley.

Three guesses as to what disasters we get.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The area of NJ I live in is prone to Blizzards. I keep a well stocked pantry/freezer. We have the occasional tropical storm, and hurricanes are even more rare.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Finland here: none, really :smile: Teeny tiny knee high tornadoes that knock down your picnic basket and puff sand on your towel at the beach. Medium sized forest fires at most. Sometimes it snows a lot but that doesn't really require any special action.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    East coast of FL here....Cocoa Beach. Hurricanes. In fact I'm watching Tropical Storm Erika now. As of last night it was forecasted to be a hurricane and hit my area Monday. Thankfully recent computer models have its track shifting a bit north. I hate hurricanes.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    West coast of Florida - Tampa Bay Area,. Hurricanes, flooding, lightning storms (I mention lightning because down here it's no joke people get struck more than you think. Recently, a woman was driving her car on the interstate and it was hit by lightning. Causing the whole car to shut down - from 70mph to holy *kitten* wtf just happened!? She lived and luckily avoided major multiple car accidents).
    mhiggi02 wrote: »
    East coast of FL here....Cocoa Beach. Hurricanes. In fact I'm watching Tropical Storm Erika now. As of last night it was forecasted to be a hurricane and hit my area Monday. Thankfully recent computer models have its track shifting a bit north. I hate hurricanes.

I've been watching Erika too. Hopefully, she dwindles down and avoids us. Hurricane or not my boss will still have us come to work Monday -_- I don't want to drive in that mess.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Minnesota
    • Right at the end of tornado alley but we don't see many of those
    • Blizzards of course
    • Flooding in spring due to large amounts of melting snow
    • That one f*cking week of -20°F to -40°F/C weather every year
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Coastal Connecticut:

1) Nor'easters which can cause bad flooding/storm surge in spring/summer and blizzards/ice storms in winter.
    2) Hurricanes - Irene and Sandy are the most recent and notable. Although, relatively rare up here.

Other than that, not much. The Northeast is relatively benign when it comes to natural disasters. However, the media here freaks out about every little thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I live in CA..................................so taxes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    Okie here. So tornadoes. We also have frequent small earthquakes (fracking?), ice storms, thunder snow, and regular severe thunderstorms. LOVE it here! I'm a weather geek though.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Colorado so some wildfires, blizzards, hail storms. Eastern CO has to worry about tornadoes as well.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    Not much here. Forest fires are about the worse thing we see, those are often man made though so would that be a "natural" disaster? Sometimes they are started by lightening.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Okie here. So tornadoes. We also have frequent small earthquakes (fracking?), ice storms, thunder snow, and regular severe thunderstorms. LOVE it here! I'm a weather geek though.
    Yep, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, ice, and as of late, earthquakes.
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    New York City! Hurricanes and the MTA subway.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Alberta, Canada. Tornadoes and wildfires in the summer, hypothermia in the winter. Traffic accident any time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    windstorms and tornados. i'll take it
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Central Virginia (USA) here. Main one is severe thunderstorm and the like. Ice storms in the winter used to be more common than recent years. The few tornadoes we get tend to be weak F0; way more damage is done by straight lines winds or downbursts.
    In 2011 there was a 5.8 earthquake about 30-40 miles NW of here. Weaker than many Cali quakes, but East Coast quakes are stronger further away because of more granite/bedrock vs. softer/sandy. That's why Washington Monument was damaged a 100 miles away.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon. Not much. There 4 are some Geographical issues, like living next to a stream that might overflow, but it's actually a pretty safe place to live. Our only issues, lately, are poor air quality due to smoke from fires in Eastern Oregon being blown in.