"That's what you get for living there"

Options

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Whereabouts in NorCal are you? Is the sac in your name for Sacramento? I'm up in the Nevada County foothills...

And holy tinderbox is right!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Whereabouts in NorCal are you? Is the sac in your name for Sacramento? I'm up in the Nevada County foothills...

And holy tinderbox is right!

Yep, Sacramento. Seems like every time you blink there's a new fire popping up. The smoke tends to settle in here from about dusk to midnight and then blows out. Every now and then it sticks around for the whole day. I think yesterday was our first smoke-free day in a long time. Ugh.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    Pfft! Try living in London. Leaves on the train tracks, a little ice and a few snowflakes..... you guys have it easy! /sarcasm\
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MrsBooBear wrote: »
    Pfft! Try living in London. Leaves on the train tracks, a little ice and a few snowflakes..... you guys have it easy! /sarcasm\
    lol, I remember my semester in London. The city SHUT DOWN for this! Barely a dusting! Good times! xD

DSC01603.JPG

• MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    Yup. Case in point!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    We get to embrace the "beautiful gold color" of dead grass!

28yyj2rqon1p.jpg
  • kccurtis2
    kccurtis2 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yes... I'm seeing a lot of dead grass these days..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I live on earth and we've got plate tectonics still moving around, so all of the above including comet and asteroid strikes
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I'm in St. Louis, Mo. We get tornadoes and severe thunderstorms.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    flinx1241 wrote: »
    Austria. No tornadoes. No hurricanes. No earthquakes. Heck, even the thunderstorms are pretty weak. So, pretty much just nazis...

What about biting, stinging things? Like jellyfish, vipers, spiders. You know. Scary stuff.

Do mosquitoes count?

No, not many scary things. Couple of spiders and snakes that are mildly venomous, but nothing worth getting worked up about.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a11 wrote: »

aren't y'all due for another major quake in the New Madrid fault zone as well? Seems like there and L.A. are oft discussed as being "over" due.

My family owns a lake house in TN on a lake that was formed during the early 1800's series of quakes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If mosquitoes are the worst you've got, Alberta's got you beat. Home of the monster mosquito.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    .....and to scare you further,
    Yellowstone_SuperVolcano.jpg
  • _John_
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    .....and to scare you further,
    Yellowstone_SuperVolcano.jpg

also, people in AZ need to be aware of the active volcanoes in that state as well.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    flood
    SeaLevelRiseUSEastCoast-Weiss4web.jpg
  • _John_
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I remember seeing this a while ago which shows that the west coast is actually a good place to live to be the least affected by natural disasters in the US...

http://apt46.net/2011/05/03/map-showing-likelihood-of-natural-disaster/
  • sw33tp3a11
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

aren't y'all due for another major quake in the New Madrid fault zone as well? Seems like there and L.A. are oft discussed as being "over" due.

My family owns a lake house in TN on a lake that was formed during the early 1800's series of quakes.

Eekk thanks for reminding me of that. There was an earthquake in Tennessee the other day along that fault line. Pretty scary to think about.
  • _John_
    edited August 2015
    Options

Eekk thanks for reminding me of that. There was an earthquake in Tennessee the other day along that fault line. Pretty scary to think about.

Just think how bad it could be if the Ohio, Missouri, and or Mississippi rivers where in flood stage and a quake (likely a series) compromised the levee systems...you could get a permanent relocation of a river channel...
  • sw33tp3a11
    Options

Just think how bad it could be if the Ohio, Missouri, and or Mississippi rivers where in flood stage and a quake (likely a series) compromised the levee systems...you could get a permanent relocation of a river channel...

Are you trying to sell me a house in another state? 'Cause all these foreseeable disasters is making me wanna move now lol