New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Cindymylou, I didn't think my comments were bullying.

I wrote a polite request for those posters who posted in beginning of this thread, 4 - 10 months ago, to come back and inform us of their long term success.

Unfortunately none of them did so.

Hmmm, I wonder what that means?

That they lost the weight and no longer post here?

Well,yes, that is one possible interpretation.

But Interesting that many posters who have lost weight over the long term and maintained their weight, via the standard eat less,move more method,are still posting here.

I wonder why all the successful long term losers via diet pills do not do so as well?
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I was born in 1961 there were a wide range of human conditions in which medicine could not offer any hope. I've watched as scientist have greatly reduced that number. That has made me optimistic that modern medicine can greatly assist us and will continue to have breakthroughs in treatments.

But, so many people here do not share that view. Most people believe that since medicine has not been able to assist people seeking to lose weight before, it never will. Perhaps you are correct.

Belviq is a long term drug. Users aren't expected to "go off it". That was something that my doctor and I discussed at length. What I am hopefully trading is a lifetime of Belviq instead of a lifetime of Tenormin, Belcar, and a statin. My doctor of 15 years believes it is the best course of action for my current condition. Most of y'all disagree with my doctor. Given the choice I am going with the person who has been treating me for 15 years and has an excellent idea about my overall health and my struggles in this area.

I understand that this is not the forum for any support for losing weight in this manner. I'm going to continue using the app but find a more supportive group. Support is a key factor in keeping the weight off. I've spent hours studying Belviq over the past three months, I've spent a lifetime in this body. I believe I am in a better position to know what is correct for me.

Someone asked earlier why no one has reported back results after four months. After reading this thread I won't be back in four minutes, I can see why no one would want to continue any dialog. If for example I did lose thirty pounds in that four months, y'all would be cheering me to gain it back to prove your point. How much time would you spend around people cheering you to gain weight?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This whole thread...SMH
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians.

It always surprises me that the topic is something specific, yet some of you who have have no interest in this topic feel that it is your duty to tell us what we already know. Then you expect us to say "Gee whiz, I never knew that." and "Thanks for enlightening me." We get it. You would never take these drugs. We don't understand why you need to impose your opinions and beliefs on us. These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians. We appreciate your input and knowledge on other topics, but the lecturing gets kind of old, you know?

Back to the subject.

I take Phentermine, and have very good results with it. I would rather not take it if there was something different that was effective.

I am interested in these other drugs you mentioned, because Phentermine has a pharmacology similar to amphetamine, which is not something I consider healthy.

I looked these drugs up. I had never heard of them. One is mixed with Topomax, an anti-seizure medication, so I wouldn't want to take that. The other seems to be some kind of SSRI, and it can interact with other SSRIs. I take a small dose of Prozac. Also, the BMI needs to be over 30, or over 27 with another health condition. My BMI is 27.6, so that probably leaves me out.

Back to square one. I don't lose weight very fast. Normally around 1/2 pound a week. RIght now I am finally exercising regularly, so I am losing more than usual. Since February 4th I have lost 16 pounds. The big trick with Phentermine and with any weight loss, is making sure we keep up the healthy way of eating. That's what I have trouble with.

You know what's really funny about Doctors, they're only required to take maybe 2 nutrition classes to become a doctor in the US. So, it's no surprise that idiot doctors perscribe this crap. You realize they are probably getting big payouts from the companies that invent these miracle pills.

I'll give you a miracle rx for weightloss. Get off your lazy *kitten* and start eating better. Try doing the opposite of what you've been doing to get fat instead of doing the same exact thing and popping some pill that's going to supposidly make it easier for you. Does it really surprise you that when you do the same thing you've always done the results are the same?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I wrote a polite request for those posters who posted in beginning of this thread, 4 - 10 months ago, to come back and inform us of their long term success.

I'll keep you informed. So far after 10 days I have lost 7.5 pounds on Belviq. Yes, I went through a couple days of backaches and headaches, but those are gone. The plan that my doctor and I have worked out will eventually get me off the blood pressure pills I've been taking for 25 years. I am not struggling with hunger pains, it is bacially doing everything that the drug maker promises. I will gladly trade my BP pills for Belviq. My doctor's and my greatest concern is when I go off Belviq. We're hoping by then with careful monitoring and additional excercise options, I will be able to maintain a lower weight and not yo-yo like I have been doing with MFP and moderate only excercise.

You know what happened when I started eating better and working out. I dropped 7 lbs the first week too. And I'm not putting drugs into my body to do it. I don't have to worry about when I go off anythingbecause healthy food and nutrition aren't something you go off of. They're something you live with. You're never going to overcome obesity if you don't change your attitute about food and fitness.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Someone asked earlier why no one has reported back results after four months. After reading this thread I won't be back in four minutes, I can see why no one would want to continue any dialog. If for example I did lose thirty pounds in that four months, y'all would be cheering me to gain it back to prove your point. How much time would you spend around people cheering you to gain weight?

I cannot speak for everyone else - but No, I would not be doing that.
    I am happy for anyone who successfully loses weight and keeps it off.

I actually think appetite suppressants do have their place for some people in some situations, under medical supervision. I think gastric bypass surgery has its place too.

However the lack of people posting about their long term success after using these products does not inspire me with confidence about them - and there are many subsets, if you like, of MFP users, not all agree on everything or go about things the same way.

I, for example, do not go to gyms - but I can see by the many long term successful posters who do, that gyms are a successful component of many people's weight loss/fitness journeys. I don't dismiss the usefulness of gyms just because they aren't for me.

If I saw same number of successful posters who used weight loss pills, then I would not dismiss the use of them - even though they still wouldn't be for me.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I was born in 1961 there were a wide range of human conditions in which medicine could not offer any hope. I've watched as scientist have greatly reduced that number. That has made me optimistic that modern medicine can greatly assist us and will continue to have breakthroughs in treatments.

But, so many people here do not share that view. Most people believe that since medicine has not been able to assist people seeking to lose weight before, it never will. Perhaps you are correct.

Belviq is a long term drug. Users aren't expected to "go off it". That was something that my doctor and I discussed at length. What I am hopefully trading is a lifetime of Belviq instead of a lifetime of Tenormin, Belcar, and a statin. My doctor of 15 years believes it is the best course of action for my current condition. Most of y'all disagree with my doctor. Given the choice I am going with the person who has been treating me for 15 years and has an excellent idea about my overall health and my struggles in this area.

I understand that this is not the forum for any support for losing weight in this manner. I'm going to continue using the app but find a more supportive group. Support is a key factor in keeping the weight off. I've spent hours studying Belviq over the past three months, I've spent a lifetime in this body. I believe I am in a better position to know what is correct for me.

Nobody is cheering you on to gain weight. What we are saying is that to have a fit lifestyle, you need a fit lifestyle. Taking a pill isn't a substitute for a fit lifestyle. It doesn't "jump start" it because there is no jump start.

You are saying that, with your doctor's advice, you are incorporating a pill into a fit lifestyle because your situation warrants it. Yeah. Ok. That makes sense.

The only person on here who crowed at their ability to lose weight while the rest of us remained fat was supporting pill use.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear the side effects of diet pills, even those under a doctor’s care, it scares the living shzzt out of me. For those who take the pills, are you at all concerned about developing serious side effects in an effort to gain control over your eating? It seems very drastic.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians.

It always surprises me that the topic is something specific, yet some of you who have have no interest in this topic feel that it is your duty to tell us what we already know. Then you expect us to say "Gee whiz, I never knew that." and "Thanks for enlightening me." We get it. You would never take these drugs. We don't understand why you need to impose your opinions and beliefs on us. These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians. We appreciate your input and knowledge on other topics, but the lecturing gets kind of old, you know?

Back to the subject.

I take Phentermine, and have very good results with it. I would rather not take it if there was something different that was effective.

I am interested in these other drugs you mentioned, because Phentermine has a pharmacology similar to amphetamine, which is not something I consider healthy.

I looked these drugs up. I had never heard of them. One is mixed with Topomax, an anti-seizure medication, so I wouldn't want to take that. The other seems to be some kind of SSRI, and it can interact with other SSRIs. I take a small dose of Prozac. Also, the BMI needs to be over 30, or over 27 with another health condition. My BMI is 27.6, so that probably leaves me out.

Back to square one. I don't lose weight very fast. Normally around 1/2 pound a week. RIght now I am finally exercising regularly, so I am losing more than usual. Since February 4th I have lost 16 pounds. The big trick with Phentermine and with any weight loss, is making sure we keep up the healthy way of eating. That's what I have trouble with.

You know what's really funny about Doctors, they're only required to take maybe 2 nutrition classes to become a doctor in the US. So, it's no surprise that idiot doctors perscribe this crap. You realize they are probably getting big payouts from the companies that invent these miracle pills.

I'll give you a miracle rx for weightloss. Get off your lazy *kitten* and start eating better. Try doing the opposite of what you've been doing to get fat instead of doing the same exact thing and popping some pill that's going to supposidly make it easier for you. Does it really surprise you that when you do the same thing you've always done the results are the same?

I'm just curious. How many nutrition classes have you taken?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I'll keep you informed. So far after 10 days I have lost 7.5 pounds on Belviq. Yes, I went through a couple days of backaches and headaches, but those are gone. The plan that my doctor and I have worked out will eventually get me off the blood pressure pills I've been taking for 25 years. I am not struggling with hunger pains, it is bacially doing everything that the drug maker promises. I will gladly trade my BP pills for Belviq. My doctor's and my greatest concern is when I go off Belviq. We're hoping by then with careful monitoring and additional excercise options, I will be able to maintain a lower weight and not yo-yo like I have been doing with MFP and moderate only excercise.

I was checking Belviq out, and it appears at first glance, to be one of the better prescription (safer) diet pills I have seen out there. While I doubt that hunger in and of itself is the reason people become obese, if something can safely help people stick to their diet goals, I don't have a problem with that. However, the hardest part of losing weight is keeping it off, and you can't stay on the hunger suppressants long-term. Dealing successfully with hunger is something that you will have to learn in order to keep the weight off. To stay within my calorie goals, I sometimes have to be hungry from time to time. Making sure I get plenty of protein and healthy fats helps immensely, so make sure you hit your macros! And aim for 1g/kg of protein to maintain lean body mass.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear the side effects of diet pills, even those under a doctor’s care, it scares the living shzzt out of me. For those who take the pills, are you at all concerned about developing serious side effects in an effort to gain control over your eating? It seems very drastic.

Have you ever read the possible side effects of ANY medication? They all pretty much read like that. The FDA requires them all to be listed out, no matter how rare. :smile:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Have you ever read the possible side effects of ANY medication? They all pretty much read like that. The FDA requires them all to be listed out, no matter how rare. :smile:

Yes, I have read the side effects of a lot of medication and it's scary. However, I see a big difference in cases such as taking a risk in order to keep breathing, keeping the heart pumping, balance insulin, etc. as opposed to gaining a false sense of control in terms of eating.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I saw an add for Belviq yesterday. It really caught my attention because the symptoms it treats are symptoms I have. I struggle with realizing when I'm full.

However, after hearing the list of side effects... I decided not to risk it. I generally don't take meds other than tylenol & pepto anyways.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I saw an add for Belviq yesterday. It really caught my attention because the symptoms it treats are symptoms I have. I struggle with realizing when I'm full.

However, after hearing the list of side effects... I decided not to risk it. I generally don't take meds other than tylenol & pepto anyways.

MFP is a great tool to figure out how full is "enough". Sated for me is a very different experience than full...and much less satisfying. However, I was able to learn it and maintain without tracking for six months before starting a bulk.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options

You know what happened when I started eating better and working out. I dropped 7 lbs the first week too. And I'm not putting drugs into my body to do it. I don't have to worry about when I go off anythingbecause healthy food and nutrition aren't something you go off of. They're something you live with. You're never going to overcome obesity if you don't change your attitute about food and fitness.

My attitude toward food is to consume less calories than I burn. My attitude about fitness is to be active. I hike and backpack almost every week. What's yours?

My attitude towards message boards is to be friendly and not abusive. What's yours?
  • Tam_from_Michigan
    Tam_from_Michigan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to know that as well. I just heard about Belviq today. I crave food constantly and would love to be free of that feeling for at least a little while.
  • cindymylou
    Options
    To me it comes across as bullying, because the opinion hurts the people who were not asking for that opinion specifically. I think the original poster was looking for specific information and if they needed help otherwise they can speak to their doctor directly. Getting jumped on by a bunch of people who don't follow her way of life could potentially be hurtful. Just like if I jumped on you for your way of life and just expected that you should take a pill. I would never suggest such a thing.

I am just too much of a softie, I suppose. It is like with any other opinion…I just feel that the original poster is looking to be understood and heard, validated, listened to by others who understand her rather than having the opposing view pushed.

I do congratulate all of you who are able to pull off the weight loss the good old fashioned way. I have done fairly well in keeping 30 of the 40 that I have lost off over off since I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2009. I just struggle with getting the rest of it off.

I would like to know of the long term success also because I am one of the ones considering going off the Qsymia and trying Belviq. For me, I am not looking for some magic pill. I realize what it takes. Weight loss is not even about looking good cause I look pretty darn good. It is just my insides that don't look that great. ;) I take that back…I don't know about "look" good but I feel pretty darn good and I don't seriously worry that I somehow look bad. I did when I was younger. I am just over that hump. I just have to figure out a way to get these day pounds off and the Qsymia is not cutting it for me. Weight Watchers is helping…I should have mentioned that is something that I am doing on top of prescription medication, it is just going slowly.
  • cindymylou
    Options
    I envy the backpacking! I have osteoarthritis in my upper back that prevents me doing some of those outdoorsy type adventures. My husband was very serious into backpacking at one point in time. I wish I could admit to as much exercise as I was doing previously. I had been doing water aerobics faithfully, which unfortunately also hurt my back but I kept with it, but when I started my masters degree 3 years ago (has it really been that long OMG) then I did not have the time. I walk as much as I can and that ends up being 3 days a week rather than the 5 that it had been during my bachelors and now it is between 3-5 miles, weather permitting. The ice is set back but heat does not deter me.
  • cindymylou
    Options
    Congrats on the six pounds you have lost. I am sure you are a fine and it's okay.