New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Most of you all are missing the point here. The OP didnt ask who approved of diet pills or "lets take a poll" she simply asked if poeple had any success with them. Those of you that decided to turn this into a rant about why they arent good for you or why they wont work is the reason this post turned into a complete mess. Those that didnt care for the "bullying" label that they got. To bad. Thats just what you are, a bully. Imposing an oppinion on someone elses thread just to be heard and taking away from the OP question is all that you accomplished. We should be here for an unbiased opinion and help regardless what the question is. If you cant do that then maybe you should stay off the mesage boards. If you actually have something to add that is of any value to the original post or question, than lets hear it. Otherwise mind your buisness.

So stating an opinion on an open board in an open forum disagreeing with a viewpoint is now bullying..?

It has nothing to do with disagreeing. That of course is more than exceptable. It has to do with the fact that when your opinion belittles someone elses thought process, you are out of line. Once again the OP didnt ask what their opinion was on taking pills they simply asked what specific ones worked for them. Never did she ask for opinions on if they persoanlly would take them . People can bash pills all they want but take a look at our healthcare system. We would be lost and in a terrible state without some of those. Those that stand on a saop box and say " i would never take those " or " those will never help you " and do so with their nose in the air should be ashamed of themselves. People come here for help, enouragement, and answers to their questions. If we cannot provide that to them without critisism than we are not being good friends. Thats all im saying.

A) It's an open forum, you can't choose what kind of feedback you're going to get.

B) What if these individual you should say should be ashamed of themselves for not advocating the "magic pill" are in turn helping the individual and answering their question by telling them diet pills are unnecessary?

Edit: Can we quit throwing this "bully" term around. So and so disagreed with me in a tone I don't like (or white knight doesn't like).... you bully!
  • joette3
    joette3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I just started Phentermine after 4+ years of struggling to lose the same weight..not up and down..just not going anywhere. I documented all my daily calories and my daily exercise for all these years. I took 2 years of this information to my Endo (I'm 3yrs diagnosed Hypo) and he told me that there is no reason that I shouldn't have lost the 50+lbs i need to lose. He believed me, understood my struggle to lose and put me on Phentermine. This prescription will not to lose the weight FOR me, it is to help me HELP MYSELF with my, already, proper eating and exercise regimine. THANK YOU DOC!!

I have many friends who have told me over and over that they would have given up this struggle a long time ago if they had the same problem (they can all lose weight with normal eating/exercise regimines). They believe me, undersand my struggle to lose.

This decision has been OVER 4 years in the making and I don't take it lightly and I won't let anyone tell me that I must not be working hard enough or i'm lying about the food I eat (and the kind of food, the time of day, the amount of protien, fat, carbs, caffene, turmeric, ginsing..whatever..) or the time i put in exercising (and how hard and how long and the type of workout..whatever).

I'm sorry if some have had painful experiences with diet pills (or other meds) And if you think you are going to SAVE this poor soul from something, you are mistaken. I'm helping myself and I am finally getting the assistance from my board certified Endo. I'm sooooo excited that the hard work i have put in already will now start to show and I'm very happy for those of you with similar stories. Thank you for braving the APP's (anti-pill persons) and sharing your experience and hope with me! Luck and love to all.
  • joette3
    joette3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Got an idea: How about the APP (anti-pill persons) start your own topic about how horrible diet medication is and we PROMISE we won't go on it to "bully" you.

How bout that? :)
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Got an idea: How about the APP (anti-pill persons) start your own topic about how horrible diet medication is and we PROMISE we won't go on it to "bully" you.

How bout that? :)

LOL, if you notice, most of the people on this thread are only here to show how anti diet pills they are. The title of this thread is asking for opinions about different medications. Most of the people replying are here to make sure you know how evil diet pills are. It's just posturing. The people that actually want opinions on Medication A vs. Medication B, are long gone, and just using other threads and ignoring this one.

I'll send you a link to a private group, too.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Are most of the "pro" pill posts here from fake accounts trying to promote their products? I'm skeptical of people who have below 10 posts. I only just started posting on MFP today but been using the application for more than six months. The forums here are a lot better than reddit which is what I was previously using for online support.
  • grinogirl
    grinogirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is there another thread somewhere on here that I could get info and support on Belviq ? I am not looking for peoples opinion on diet pills, I am looking for information and support. Thanks.

~Ronnie~
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just started on the diethylpropion on April 25th. I am not weighing myself until a month has gone by. (i am also DHEA and Vitamin D3 per recommendation by my Doc). I see these diet pills as having two uses: one, to jump start someone who may feel defeated or hopeless because they have yo-yo dieted in the past or have never tried to lose and are afraid. the other would be people like me. I work out, eat clean and about 1200 a day. I haven't lost weight DESPITE massive changes to my eating over the years. I went to a nutritionist and she had NO helpful suggestions. In fact, after desperately saying to my doctor 'i don't know what other changes i can make to my diet!', she said 'it isn't your diet'. I imagine i am some anomaly, but cutting calories not ONLY didn't help me shed weight- i mean like NONE- but as i shifted down from 1500-1400-1300 calories, i was starting to GAIN. Beyond hiring an $600 a month trainer and working out like Madonna (and THAT is healthy???), these pills are the only idea i have left.
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is there another thread somewhere on here that I could get info and support on Belviq ? I am not looking for peoples opinion on diet pills, I am looking for information and support. Thanks.

~Ronnie~

and i'm with you. i found this thread by googling Belviq to try to find opinions and experiences by its users. I don't really find it helpful to hear people say 'doesn't sound like a good idea.'
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BTW, I have over 100 posts dating back to October of 2010, can I speak without anyone thinking I am just promoting a product? If not then don't read.

What continues to get ignored in this thread is that medical science has continued to research and improve. Plus, posters here who are *also* taking medication are *here* for a reason. To are also here to log their food intake and adopt a more healthy lifestyle. Belviq by the way is not a fast weight loss product. It is a long term help in losing and maintaining weight. Just like people stop MFP and gain weight, people will stop using Belviq and gain weight. Other people will continue to do one or the other for the rest of their lives. The reception here is Belviq users get the hell out of here, you are not like us.

The reception to someone starting MFP doesn't include dire warnings of if you stop you will gain back all that weight. Or remember this is something you will have to do for the rest of your life. If you plan on living another 50 years that means you will have to log everything you eat for the rest of your life. That could mean over 50,000 meals! No dire warnings, just hugs and welcomes.

And post counts to check the truthfulness of posters? Why is it hard to believe that someone is making a huge lifestyle change, paying upwards of $250 per month for Belviq and is looking for additional support and finds this place? We don't think people with a couple posts here who claim how great MFP is are lying or get suspicious.

I'm planning on stopping Belviq when I reach 165 pounds and rely strictly on MFP or whatever app is best at the time. I keep hearing how I'm going to gain back all the weight if I just use MFP. That may be the case. But I like my chances better than without MFP. Thankfully I have used MFP successfully in the past and have confidence in it. But for the people who are looking for support from this community and all they receive is criticism, I hope when they leave they find a secondary plan that supports them and will be there if the decide to stop taking Belviq. I know it will probably not be here.
  • Texsox
    Options
    Seriously, thank you all for the motivation, I do appreciate it.
  • Texsox
    Options
    Are most of the "pro" pill posts here from fake accounts trying to promote their products? I'm skeptical of people who have below 10 posts. I only just started posting on MFP today but been using the application for more than six months. The forums here are a lot better than reddit which is what I was previously using for online support.

Possibly,

would you also agree with this?

Are most of the "anti" pill posts here from fake accounts trying to promote their products? I'm skeptical of people who have below 10 posts or just started posting today. I only just started posting on MFP in October of 2010 but have been using the application for more than four years off and on. The forums here were a lot better before I started listening to my Doctor.
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think the only people that need diet pills are the REALLY fat I'm talking 300lb+. In that case it can be a good way to suppress their appetite and smooth them into healthier eating patterns at least that's how it was for me. I took Phentermine right at the start of my diet for two weeks. It allowed me to get through a one hour workout and suppress my food cravings. However once I felt I had started to form good habits I discontinued it immediatly. When I stopped I did gain a couple of lb's and my workouts became harder but I quickly got back up to speed and started losing again. That ladies and gentlemen is how diet pills should be used. Not taken by people who think it's a shortcut to genuine weight loss. Because it isn't. All you pill poppers will gain all that weight back. And you will be looking for more pills to throw money at.

I started at 330+ pounds. I am down 137. No diet pills or surgery.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options

And post counts to check the truthfulness of posters? Why is it hard to believe that someone is making a huge lifestyle change, paying upwards of $250 per month for Belviq and is looking for additional support and finds this place? We don't think people with a couple posts here who claim how great MFP is are lying or get suspicious.

Not a comment on Belviq specifically - but all products. On all forums not just MFP.

I am suspicious of low count, low interaction posters who are promoting products - usually they have a vested interest in doing so (like spammers, sellers of said product)

No one has a vested interest in saying how great the free MFP app is, so therefore there is not same level of suspicion.
  • Tyree985
    Tyree985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians.

It always surprises me that the topic is something specific, yet some of you who have have no interest in this topic feel that it is your duty to tell us what we already know. Then you expect us to say "Gee whiz, I never knew that." and "Thanks for enlightening me." We get it. You would never take these drugs. We don't understand why you need to impose your opinions and beliefs on us. These are prescription drugs, prescribed by physicians. We appreciate your input and knowledge on other topics, but the lecturing gets kind of old, you know?

Back to the subject.

I take Phentermine, and have very good results with it. I would rather not take it if there was something different that was effective.

I am interested in these other drugs you mentioned, because Phentermine has a pharmacology similar to amphetamine, which is not something I consider healthy.

I looked these drugs up. I had never heard of them. One is mixed with Topomax, an anti-seizure medication, so I wouldn't want to take that. The other seems to be some kind of SSRI, and it can interact with other SSRIs. I take a small dose of Prozac. Also, the BMI needs to be over 30, or over 27 with another health condition. My BMI is 27.6, so that probably leaves me out.

Back to square one. I don't lose weight very fast. Normally around 1/2 pound a week. RIght now I am finally exercising regularly, so I am losing more than usual. Since February 4th I have lost 16 pounds. The big trick with Phentermine and with any weight loss, is making sure we keep up the healthy way of eating. That's what I have trouble with.

You know what's really funny about Doctors, they're only required to take maybe 2 nutrition classes to become a doctor in the US. So, it's no surprise that idiot doctors perscribe this crap. You realize they are probably getting big payouts from the companies that invent these miracle pills.

I'll give you a miracle rx for weightloss. Get off your lazy *kitten* and start eating better. Try doing the opposite of what you've been doing to get fat instead of doing the same exact thing and popping some pill that's going to supposidly make it easier for you. Does it really surprise you that when you do the same thing you've always done the results are the same?

Yay more bullying!
  • Tyree985
    Tyree985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No, people know the difference between bulling and a simple difference of opinion. The rudeness and downright meanness expressed on this site baffles me. I cannot understand why people so against diet pills read then post comment after comment about how terrible they are, how lazy that person is, don't listen to your dumb *kitten* doctor because he's paid to give you that medication and etc. A difference of opinion is I lost weight by down A B & C and have maintained for X amount of time and I don't think diet pills are safe. Or have you tried this or that before resorting to diet pills. Or my friend had a bad reaction to that pill. Flat-out rudeness doesn't help anyone and it makes those that post such comments look like douchbags.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you want information, please message me, I am happy to share, just not on this thread.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Damn Ohio, and their laws against prescription weight loss pills. Gotta drive to Kentucky for those. :grumble:

Wow, Ohio actually has something right. :drinker: