New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

And post counts to check the truthfulness of posters? Why is it hard to believe that someone is making a huge lifestyle change, paying upwards of $250 per month for Belviq and is looking for additional support and finds this place? We don't think people with a couple posts here who claim how great MFP is are lying or get suspicious.

Not a comment on Belviq specifically - but all products. On all forums not just MFP.

I am suspicious of low count, low interaction posters who are promoting products - usually they have a vested interest in doing so (like spammers, sellers of said product)

No one has a vested interest in saying how great the free MFP app is, so therefore there is not same level of suspicion.

Especially when they have an insular, highly inter-related friend list.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you want information, please message me, I am happy to share, just not on this thread.

Because why would you share information on a thread that could help other people? Or is the info against the terms of service?
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    everyone IS entitled to an opinion but if YOU asked (on a travel site) 'who here has been to Italy, tell me your experiences' and 20 people said 'it doesn't sound very fun' and 'a friend of a friend of my cousin told me it was just meh' and one person said 'i have been there, let me tell you what to do and where to stay', which poster was helpful and which posters were not? there is a great deal of difference in sharing an experience and sharing an opinion. again a practical example- if you were scuba diving for the first time, would you ask help from the experienced person or the opinionated one?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What if you were interested in parasailing and 20 people informed you that it was dangerous enough that the major cruise ships didn't offer it as an excursion? Would that still be information you'd discount?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Or what if you joined a travel forum and asked if now is a good time to tour the Ukraine?

Would any posters saying it's not a good idea all be bullies?
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you want information, please message me, I am happy to share, just not on this thread.

Because why would you share information on a thread that could help other people? Or is the info against the terms of service?

Var, because many people who participate on this thread are not interested in hearing anything positive about prescription diet medication.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the site owners can sue whoever hires these drive-by spammers? A hungry young lawyer might even take the case pro bono if precedent doesn't already exist.

After all, their spamming not only annoys regular MFP users, it also probably taints MFP in search engines. Enter the wrong keywords, and someone might end up with the impression that this excellent, free calorie counting site is littered with pill pushing spammers instead of mostly filled with helpful people committed to safe, sustainable weight loss.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Is there another thread somewhere on here that I could get info and support on Belviq ? I am not looking for peoples opinion on diet pills, I am looking for information and support. Thanks.

~Ronnie~

I am sure the manufacturer of this product has a website. I would bet you could get information there if that's all you are looking for. This is a calorie counting, weight loss, food log website, much different than information on prescription diet pills. Another great source of information would be your doctor.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No, people know the difference between bulling and a simple difference of opinion. The rudeness and downright meanness expressed on this site baffles me. I cannot understand why people so against diet pills read then post comment after comment about how terrible they are, how lazy that person is, don't listen to your dumb *kitten* doctor because he's paid to give you that medication and etc. A difference of opinion is I lost weight by down A B & C and have maintained for X amount of time and I don't think diet pills are safe. Or have you tried this or that before resorting to diet pills. Or my friend had a bad reaction to that pill. Flat-out rudeness doesn't help anyone and it makes those that post such comments look like douchbags.

Clearly you have never actually been bullied in your life. This isn't bullying, please stop playing the victimization card. When topics like this come up, people with get passionate about it on both sides. Telling someone, like me, who is fat, to get off their lazy *kitten* and get moving and eat right is not bullying, harsh truth, I wouldn't use that method, but it ain't bullying and I get sick of people throwing that out there. Please just stop. You wanna take a pill, take it, but when you post about it here expect some objection because for most people it is taking the lazy way out and for most people you will gain it back because you haven't learned how to balance food and exercise in a healthy way.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Var, because many people who participate on this thread are not interested in hearing anything positive about prescription diet medication.

But you aren't trying to convince me. You would be helping the people who are looking at this thread because they are searching for support.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Sure, but if you want to spread something that's positive about it, you should also include what's negative about it, like as required by law to advertise drugs. So, you should look at it as people commenting warnings about the dangers of using the diet pills are doing a public service for the many OTHERS besides you that look at this, and are kind of your offset, you aren't even required to post the negatives. Unless you want to put something like this after the "positive" posts about a drug and then I think nobody would pipe up, the facts about Belviq:

WARNING
    Limitations of Use: The safety and efficacy of coadministration of BELVIQ with other products intended for weight loss, including prescription drugs (eg, phentermine), over-the-counter drugs, and herbal preparations, have not been established. The effect of BELVIQ on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality has not been established.
    Important Safety Information
    Contraindication
    BELVIQ should not be taken during pregnancy or by women who are planning to become pregnant.
    Warnings and Precautions
    BELVIQ is a serotonergic drug. The development of potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome or Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS)-like reactions have been reported during use of serotonergic drugs, including, but not limited to, selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, bupropion, triptans, dietary supplements such as St. John's Wort and tryptophan, drugs that impair metabolism of serotonin (including monoamine oxidase inhibitors), dextromethorphan, lithium, tramadol, antipsychotics or other dopamine antagonists, particularly when used in combination. Patients should be monitored for the emergence of serotonin syndrome symptoms or NMS-like reactions, including agitation, hallucinations, coma, tachycardia, labile blood pressure, hyperthermia, hyperreflexia, incoordination, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle rigidity. Treatment with BELVIQ and any concomitant serotonergic or antidopaminergic agents should be discontinued immediately if the above events occur, and supportive symptomatic treatment should be initiated.
    Patients should not take BELVIQ in combination with drugs that have been associated with valvular heart disease (eg, cabergoline). In clinical trials, 2.4% of patients taking BELVIQ and 2.0% of patients taking placebo developed valvular regurgitation: none of these patients were symptomatic. BELVIQ should be used with caution in patients with congestive heart failure (CHF). Patients who develop signs and symptoms of valvular heart disease, including dyspnea, dependent edema, CHF, or a new cardiac murmur, should be evaluated and discontinuation of BELVIQ should be considered.
    Impairment in attention, memory, somnolence, confusion, and fatigue have been reported in patients taking BELVIQ. Patients should not drive a car or operate heavy machinery until they know how BELVIQ affects them.
    The recommended dose of 10 mg twice daily should not be exceeded, as higher doses may cause euphoria, hallucination, and dissociation. Monitor patients for the development or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or behaviors, and/or any changes in mood. Discontinue BELVIQ in patients who develop suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
    Weight loss may increase the risk of hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus who are being treated with antidiabetic medications, so measurement of blood sugar levels before and during treatment with BELVIQ is recommended. Decreases in doses of antidiabetic medications or changes in medication regimen should be considered.
    Men who experience priapism should immediately discontinue BELVIQ and seek emergency medical attention. BELVIQ should be used with caution with erectile dysfunction medications. BELVIQ should be used with caution in men who have conditions that might predispose them to priapism (eg, sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia), or in men with anatomical deformation of the penis (eg, angulation, cavernosal fibrosis, or Peyronie's disease).
    Because BELVIQ may cause a slow heartbeat, it should be used with caution in patients with a history of bradycardia or heart block greater than first degree.
    Consider monitoring for CBC changes, prolactin excess, and pulmonary hypertension.
    Most Common Adverse Reactions
    In patients without diabetes: headache (17%), dizziness (9%), fatigue (7%), nausea (8%), dry mouth (5%), and constipation (6%).
    In patients with diabetes: hypoglycemia (29%), headache (15%), back pain (12%), cough (8%), and fatigue (7%).
    Nursing Mothers
    BELVIQ should not be taken by women who are nursing.
    BELVIQ® is a federally controlled substance that may lead to abuse or dependence.
    For more information about BELVIQ®, see full Prescribing Information.
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YOU were the person i was looking for because this is all me. How long have you been on it? Is it low dose and are you seeing any results?
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options

But you aren't trying to convince me. You would be helping the people who are looking at this thread because they are searching for support.

I hear you on that, Var. However, it's been my experience in the past, that if there is something that many people on this forum find challenging to what they personally believe, it gets shot down. It's just easier for us that use medication prescribed by our physicians, to take it elsewhere, rather than get bombarded by irrelevant comments.

I use this site to log my calories and exercise. It keeps me focused and helps me stay in the range recommended for me by MyFitnessPal when I first filled out my profile. It's very motivating for me to have friends on my page. We cheer each other on and celebrate each others successes, and offer support and kind words.
  • mandycsoto
    mandycsoto Posts: 1
    Options
    Has anyone experienced extreme fatigue from Belviq, ive been on the 15 day trial for 3 days but don't really notice a difference in my appetite much and I'm feeling dizzy and tired. Thinking this may not be the one for me :(
  • finleyfolk
    finleyfolk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started Belviq on May 6th, starting weight is 274, only side-effects so far has be slight headache and fruity taste in my mouth. My problem is that I just want to eat even if my tummy is tight I still want to eat, I exercise 3-4 times a week but still gain weight. Now that I'm on Belviq I don't even think about food, I have always eaten health but would gorge myself, now my portions have shrunk considerably and been putting food back into the frig instead of eating it all.

I know I just started and who knows how long it will last but I have a 6months supply and I will post back in a month to say if it's truly working for me, I know some hate the idea of taking pill and I'm glade you are able to loose the weight and maintain it but for me it's been a real struggle.

I'm just glad I don't think about food right now....
  • Amd4008
    Amd4008 Posts: 1
    Options
    June, could you please tell me which drug has Topamax in it? I used Topamax for seizures years ago. Gave it a shot for a month.
    Was the worst medication I've ever taken! Yes you do lose weight taking Topamax. Weight loss is a side effect of the drug. It also wipes your memory! Unable to concentrate, had a tough time using certain words. Just makes you "dumb!" if you look it up, the nick name for the Drug is "Dopey-max or Dopamax.".
    Thanks, Anne-marie
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I had the same experience with Topomax. Horrible side effects. Maybe we were on higher doses. One of these two does, I don't know which. Wow, it wiped your memory too? My daughter would call me at work "Mom, you left the stove on again."
    It was so bad, I thought I had Alzheimers!
  • JBella0125
    JBella0125 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey in 2006 stayed Smoke free for 2 years and my life style and personal life went upside down going through divorce. I went back to smoking. Then I tried it again in March 2012, cold turkey for close to 4 months and once again went right back to it. Now thinking about quitting again, but trying the patch or the shantax (spelling). Anything now to quit smoking again and this time to stay away from them for good is my goal. Everyone is different and things work for others that may not work for someone else. All with diet pills as well. If you take something to quit smoking and have had great success with it, I look at it as long as you quit smoking what does it matter what you did to get to that point. Thumbs up to ones who can kick the habit and stay with it for a lifetime. Smoking, losing weight is all about life style change, no matter which one it is, it is still hard and can be very challenging at times. Whatever works for anyone to get a jump start on a healthier living “my hats off to them!”
  • JBella0125
    JBella0125 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well said! Thanks for the post!
  • grinogirl
    grinogirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow that's ballsy posting that. Lol. At least the one i'm using is legal.