New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to interpret "anything that doesn't agree with me" to " bullying me"
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i have read this whole thread and there has been no bullying no ganging up just different oppinions.
    i am against the pills as 1 i am a cheap skate and 2 scared of any side effects.

to jump start my weight loss i simply logged my foods saw how much i ate and made adjustments also added exercise. standing on the scales and seeing how much i put on without realising also kicked me into action
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Thread full of suspiciously low post count members flogging new diet pills. Hm....Methinks I smell marketing.

Belviq is just an SSRI and the weight loss is very slight.

Qsymia may cause heart problems and is a phentermine combo. That one time phentermine got combined with another drug, I seem to recall it didn't work out so well.

If I'm going to play Russian Roulette with my brain and heart, I'll stick to OTC pills and stimulants from the health food store and at least save some money.
  • wendiepump
    Options
    Does Medicaid in Nebraska cover belviq??????
  • Rejecta
    Rejecta Posts: 4
    Options
    Ugh. Not a fan of people who think they know what they are talking about science-wise when they don't. Belviq is not 'just an SSRI', as SSRIs block reuptake of serotonin and therefore increase synaptic levels of serotonin which non-selectively binds to all serotonin receptors. The irony of your post is that Belviq was designed precisely to avoid that non-selective activity that you attribute to it: it is a selective agonist of the 5HT2C receptor, and does not affect overall levels of synaptic serotonin whatsoever. Yeah, I've got one post, but I'm a scientist and have a friend who spent years developing this drug to specifically avoid the liabilities of non-selective serotonin activity. Please, I ask of you, know what you're talking about before you preach your ignorance.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Not a fan of people who think they know what they are talking about science-wise when they don't. Belviq is not 'just an SSRI', as SSRIs block reuptake of serotonin and therefore increase synaptic levels of serotonin which non-selectively binds to all serotonin receptors. The irony of your post is that Belviq was designed precisely to avoid that non-selective activity that you attribute to it: it is a selective agonist of the 5HT2C receptor, and does not affect overall levels of synaptic serotonin whatsoever. Yeah, I've got one post, but I'm a scientist and have a friend who spent years developing this drug to specifically avoid the liabilities of non-selective serotonin activity. Please, I ask of you, know what you're talking about before you preach your ignorance.

Serotonin-associated Adverse Reactions

SSRIs, SNRIs, bupropion, tricyclic antidepressants, and MAOIs were excluded from the BELVIQ trials. Triptans and dextromethorphan were permitted: 2% and 15%, respectively, of patients without diabetes and 1% and 12%, respectively, of patients with type 2 diabetes experienced concomitant use at some point during the trials. Two patients treated with BELVIQ in the clinical program experienced a constellation of symptoms and signs consistent with serotonergic excess, including one patient on concomitant dextromethorphan who reported an event of serotonin syndrome. Some symptoms of possible serotonergic etiology that are included in the criteria for serotonin syndrome were reported by patients treated with BELVIQ and placebo during clinical trials of at least 1 year in duration. In both groups, chills were the most frequent of these events (1.0% vs. 0.2%, respectively), followed by tremor (0.3% vs. 0.2%), confusional state (0.2% vs. less than 0.1%), disorientation (0.1% vs. 0.1%) and hyperhidrosis (0.1% vs. 0.2%). Because serotonin syndrome has a very low incidence, an association between BELVIQ and serotonin syndrome cannot be excluded on the basis of clinical trial results [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].

http://www.rxlist.com/belviq-drug/side-effects-interactions.htm

Considering they excluded patients who were on SSRIs and still saw symptoms that included the criteria for serotonin syndrome, tells me that the makers of the drug acknowledge that this drug when combined with SSRIs, could theoretically raise serotonin levels.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thread full of suspiciously low post count members flogging new diet pills. Hm....Methinks I smell marketing.

Belviq is just an SSRI and the weight loss is very slight.

Qsymia may cause heart problems and is a phentermine combo. That one time phentermine got combined with another drug, I seem to recall it didn't work out so well.

If I'm going to play Russian Roulette with my brain and heart, I'll stick to OTC pills and stimulants from the health food store and at least save some money.

Yeah, no it's not an SSRI. Once again, Jestinia hits one out of the park. :ohwell:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about this drug,and I'm not a scientist, but what I do have to say regards the use of diet pills in general: they don't offer anything that eating at a reasonable calorie deficit cannot accomplish. Besides, all diet bills have side effects, whether they be instantaneous or future. Diet pills do not help you change your eating habits for the long term, they just provide a "fix" for the here and now.
  • Rejecta
    Rejecta Posts: 4
    Options
    There is very little scientific basis for the idea that Belviq would further increase serotonin levels with or without co-administration of an SSRI. As a selective agonist with no reupake blockade or MOA inhibition, the only reasonable possibility is that SSRI administration could, in theory, lead to greater 5HT2C stimulation due to higher amounts of synaptic 5HT. And considering placebo-treated patients also exhibited SS-like symptoms, the clinical trial observations are pretty much meaningless. However, because the interaction hasn't been studied, and because SSRIs are widely prescribed, FDA requires some warning in the label. And the exclusion of those taking SSRIs in the trials was primarily to eliminate any possible effects of SSRI treatment (and resulting increased 5HT levels) on 5HT2C receptor regulation. In other words, to simplify interpretation of results.

But this is all beside the point. Belviq is NOT an SSRI, and to haphazardly label it as such is irresponsible. And honestly it is frustrating for scientists to see considering that much scientific care and creativity was taken to specifically avoid the complications that calling it an SSRI implies.

As far as other diet pills, phentermine is a stimulant which therefore includes a stimulant's inherent cardio risks, and Qnexa is a poorly conceived combination of phentermine with an anti-epileptic which induces weight loss as a side effect. As far as phen-fen, valvulopathy associated with its use was due to fenfluramine as as result of its non-selective affinity for 5HT2B receptors in heart tissue. The combination with phentermine had little to do with that terrible side effect.

SLLRunner, your position is not unusual and I understand it. To some extent I agree, but I do believe that there are people out there who can benefit from the aid of such a drug. Perhaps as a sort of 'training wheels' to learn how to eat more healthily. No one method works for everyone of course.
  • KatieP1981
    KatieP1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some of you are missing the point of Belviq. It is not just a "diet pill" it is a tool to help curb hunger. You can eat healthy all you want but if you are not getting satisfied and full you will keep eating. Just because it is healthy food; fruits, vegis etc. does not mean it is good to overeat these either. I had been doing great for 9 months eating healthy and exercising then stopped exercising due to an injury. I gained back everything I lost (70 lbs) and I am constantly hungry. Constant stomach pains constant thoughts of eating and what I am eating next. It is a horrible feeling to be hungry and know that if you eat too much it will do nothing but hurt rather than help in the end. I have been on Belviq for 3 days now and it has worked amazing the first few days. I am still a little nervous that I will get hungry or a headache from not eating but so far so good. This is not just a "diet pill" it is a tool to help people NOT overeat. So far works wonders and no side effects except a very slight headache the first day which Tylenol took care of.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Some of you are missing the point of Belviq. It is not just a "diet pill" it is a tool to help curb hunger.

so the pill that makes you not want to eat doesn't have an effect on diet?

that's uh.. yeah. okay.
  • lovergirl49
    lovergirl49 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and I am feeling a little of the effects. very hungry but will go and eat me 2 eggs or just make me a protein shake...I will come back later in the week to let you all know my progress..
  • katbragg130
    katbragg130 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My dr who is a bariatric doctor has me on 1000 calories a day, suggests I use meal replacements, and supports that I take an alli once or twice a week when I have my splurge meals. I know to a lot of people none of these things are very healthy. But I am 52, was nearly 300 lbs at only 5', and use a wheelchair from arthritis so that I don't get quite as much calorie burn as other people. I also have asthma, Crohn's, sleep apnea, high cholesterol. He does careful monitoring. I know I can't do these things forever and I have to get my eating disorder under control for long term success, but right now I will accept any help/boost I can get. I am third generation obese. I'm just saying, you have to look at the whole picture, at least in my case. And hopefully this site, and the people with knowledge and encouragement will be there for me as I go on this very long journey.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

Well thank you for setting me straight.

Here is where I got the mis-impression (and perhaps I misread it): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-anderson-ma-lmhc/belviq_b_3446243.html

In this article it also states the weight loss is only slightly greater than with placebo. Anyone care to disprove that one? It seems important.

Quote from article: In almost all cases, the weight loss was slight, and the weight was regained after the trials. I have seen no reports that relate the subjective experience of appetite or craving suppression by the study subjects, which is the main thing I would like to know about. One would assume, based on the results of the clinical studies, that eating drive was reduced by the drug.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Most of you all are missing the point here. The OP didnt ask who approved of diet pills or "lets take a poll" she simply asked if poeple had any success with them. Those of you that decided to turn this into a rant about why they arent good for you or why they wont work is the reason this post turned into a complete mess. Those that didnt care for the "bullying" label that they got. To bad. Thats just what you are, a bully. Imposing an oppinion on someone elses thread just to be heard and taking away from the OP question is all that you accomplished. We should be here for an unbiased opinion and help regardless what the question is. If you cant do that then maybe you should stay off the mesage boards. If you actually have something to add that is of any value to the original post or question, than lets hear it. Otherwise mind your buisness.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Most of you all are missing the point here. The OP didnt ask who approved of diet pills or "lets take a poll" she simply asked if poeple had any success with them. Those of you that decided to turn this into a rant about why they arent good for you or why they wont work is the reason this post turned into a complete mess. Those that didnt care for the "bullying" label that they got. To bad. Thats just what you are, a bully. Imposing an oppinion on someone elses thread just to be heard and taking away from the OP question is all that you accomplished. We should be here for an unbiased opinion and help regardless what the question is. If you cant do that then maybe you should stay off the mesage boards. If you actually have something to add that is of any value to the original post or question, than lets hear it. Otherwise mind your buisness.

So stating an opinion on an open board in an open forum disagreeing with a viewpoint is now bullying..?
  • Pinpin1
    Pinpin1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm currently taking Qsymia and it does work I think taking a pill won't last forever but it does help jump start a new way of life if you are willing to change. I've loss 34 pounds in a month and three weeks .. I m learning to make better choices when it come to food and exercise.
  • KatieP1981
    KatieP1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have now been taking belviq since April 26th. I have lost 7lbs just by eating less. A person shouldn't eat a full plate of food at every meal. They should eat a normal amount of food, but that is hard to do when you are ALWAYS HUNGRY. This medicine has worked wonders. I don't have painful hunger pains and no headaches from eating less. I have walked 2 miles one day on this medicine and so minimal exercise so far. It is a tool just like weight loss surgery or any other type of "diet" it isn't a magic pill you can't just eat what you want however much you want and expect the weight to come off. You must eat low calorie healthy foods in moderation and it will work. I will post back next week when I am down another 7 lbs!
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options

So stating an opinion on an open board in an open forum disagreeing with a viewpoint is now bullying..?

It has nothing to do with disagreeing. That of course is more than exceptable. It has to do with the fact that when your opinion belittles someone elses thought process, you are out of line. Once again the OP didnt ask what their opinion was on taking pills they simply asked what specific ones worked for them. Never did she ask for opinions on if they persoanlly would take them . People can bash pills all they want but take a look at our healthcare system. We would be lost and in a terrible state without some of those. Those that stand on a saop box and say " i would never take those " or " those will never help you " and do so with their nose in the air should be ashamed of themselves. People come here for help, enouragement, and answers to their questions. If we cannot provide that to them without critisism than we are not being good friends. Thats all im saying.