Considering Creatine

tillerstouch
tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
So I'm really looking for people's opinion on taking creatine. Did you have much luck with it? And also what changes did you notice after you stopped taking creatine? Also brands you recommend.

A little background on me, I'm 21 year old male 180 pounds 5'8". I'm currently working on building strength (muscle size isn't my focus, my actual strength is). I don't care too much about my weight on the scale. I'm working on building muscle for the next 2 months before I do a cut for the summer and try to lower my b.f%. I lift hard on a 5 day split and eat a moderate calorie surplus. The suppliments I currently take are a multivitamin, bcaa during my workout, and I have protien powder I take when I'm going going to hit my protien goals.

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    IMO creatine makes a difference in your rep count and overall strength during workouts allowing you to lift heavier for longer, thus making gains faster. I recommend modern creatine by USP labs because it also contains a clinical dose of betaine. Most people will say go with regular monohydrate and if that's the case Muscletech platinum creatine is good- $10 for 90 5 gram servings.

You will put on water weight while on creatine (it draws water into muscle cells) and need to increase the amount of water you drink.

Hope this was helpful.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    1. It's not something you see immediate results from. It takes a few weeks for you to notice.
    2. Find a creatine monohydrate, that is all you need don't spend money on any other version.
    3. Brand IMO doesn't really matter go to BB.com or Myprotein.com and compare prices
    4. Lastly, some people are non-responders to it and you don't know until you use it......
  • tillerstouch
    Thank you both! I'm aware it takes awhile and causes weight gain through water weight.

Another question do either of you bulk/cut? And if so did you continue taking creatine during your cut? Did you notice much change in muscles once you stopped taking it.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    It's a cheap supplement that's been shown to work well, definitely worth trying. A bag of this brand will last you the majority of the year if you take 5 grams daily. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9M4XEE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    jmule24 wrote: »
    1. It's not something you see immediate results from. It takes a few weeks for you to notice.
    2. Find a creatine monohydrate, that is all you need don't spend money on any other version.
    3. Brand IMO doesn't really matter go to BB.com or Myprotein.com and compare prices
    4. Lastly, some people are non-responders to it and you don't know until you use it......

All of this. And make sure to stay hydrated during supplementation. I find that adding creatine to my regimen dehydrated me more than normal, which makes sense based on how it functions. Just be sure you are getting plenty of water every day.
  • jmule24

All of this. And make sure to stay hydrated during supplementation. I find that adding creatine to my regimen dehydrated me more than normal, which makes sense based on how it functions. Just be sure you are getting plenty of water every day.

This is personally why I don't take it anymore. Even increasing my water intake I still felt blah and just plain bloated.
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    When I was taking creatine, the things j noticed were, additional weight (water) looked incredibly vascular with a pump, I don't think I can say it helped with lifting, if it did it would have only been a slight difference.
    I have had a few variations, I prefer the powder type that can be mixed into any drink (it's tasteless) rather than the pill form which always seem to big to swallow.
  • tillerstouch
    aown61 wrote: »
    When I was taking creatine, the things j noticed were, additional weight (water) looked incredibly vascular with a pump, I don't think I can say it helped with lifting, if it did it would have only been a slight difference.
    I have had a few variations, I prefer the powder type that can be mixed into any drink (it's tasteless) rather than the pill form which always seem to big to swallow.

If I take it it will be powdered. Hm interesting you didn't notice much difference in lifting.
  • tillerstouch

Thanks for the link answered a few questions I had.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    So I'm really looking for people's opinion on taking creatine. Did you have much luck with it? And also what changes did you notice after you stopped taking creatine? Also brands you recommend.

A little background on me, I'm 21 year old male 180 pounds 5'8". I'm currently working on building strength (muscle size isn't my focus, my actual strength is). I don't care too much about my weight on the scale. I'm working on building muscle for the next 2 months before I do a cut for the summer and try to lower my b.f%. I lift hard on a 5 day split and eat a moderate calorie surplus. The suppliments I currently take are a multivitamin, bcaa during my workout, and I have protien powder I take when I'm going going to hit my protien goals.

Well to put it simple, creatine is the single most powerful natural muscle building compound in existence. It's backed up by endless piles of research demonstrating its positive effects on training performance and lean muscle growth, and in my opinion should definitely be included in any supplement plan aiming to maximize lean gains.

In regards to what kind, creatine monohydrate is still king. The reason why creatine monohydrate is still the best creatine powder on the market is that it has a near 100% absorption rate in humans, has been research proven to raise and sustain creatine levels in the muscle, is completely safe, and is the most cost effective.

Creatine monohydrate (like all forms of creatine) increases intracellular water retention to give your muscles a fuller, thicker look. However, this water is deposited inside the actual muscle cell and not subcutaneously (underneath the skin). For that reason, creatine monohydrate does NOT cause any form of “bloating”. It is the most widely studied sports supplement available and has been shown to be both safe and effective in the short and long term when consumed at the recommended 3-5 gram dosage. It doesn't cause unwanted side effects such as cramps or bloating in otherwise healthy individuals.

If you're wondering which creatine to buy, just go with a high quality creatine monohydrate that is sourced from Creapure. Using a product sourced from Creapure ensures that you're getting the highest grade creatine possible. My simple recommendation is to avoid the fairy-tale creatine hype and stick with micronized German-grade creatine monohydrate at a dosage of 3-5 grams per day. No loading phase necessary.

And to answer your question in regards to what happens when you stop taking creatine...

The first is the additional water retention that is held inside of the muscle cell. After stopping creatine for around 2 or 3 weeks, this particular benefit will in fact be lost. Creatine requires additional water in order to be stored inside of your muscle cells, and when you stop using creatine, those extra water stores will flush out along with the creatine itself.

The second is the increased strength and gym performance. This one will vary quite a bit from person to person and it depends on how well you responded to creatine supplementation in the first place. Assuming you do respond well, you might notice a slight reduction in gym performance after cycling off creatine. However, it shouldn't be too significant, and whatever additional muscle you originally gained from the creatine use should remain intact.

When you discontinue creatine use, you will lose the additional creatine water weight and you may experience a slight reduction in strength, but you likely won't lose any actual lean muscle tissue that you gained.

My question though, is why stop using creatine in the first place? There is no benefit to creatine cycling (going off creatine for a month, for example, isn't going to give you any added benefits)... it is completely safe to use over the long term... and it's also very inexpensive.

Assuming you are someone who benefits from this supplement, my advice is to just use it continuously, as I can't see any reason why going off creatine would be beneficial.
  • tillerstouch
    @elite_nal wow thanks that's a ton of great information. I'm also glad you mention the no loading phase because that's something I was wondering about.

And the reason I asked about what would happen if I stopped taking it is because in about 2 months I'm going to be cutting. But in doing my own research I've found a lot of people recommend continued use of creatine even during a cut. So based of that I probably wouldn't stop taking it.
  • elite_nal
    Thank you both! I'm aware it takes awhile and causes weight gain through water weight.

Another question do either of you bulk/cut? And if so did you continue taking creatine during your cut? Did you notice much change in muscles once you stopped taking it.

To put it simply, yes, you should continue supplementing with creatine whether your goal is to build muscle or to burn fat. Many people wonder, "does creatine burn fat", and although it doesn't enhance fat loss directly, it will allow you to maintain as much lean muscle and strength as possible while you lean down.

Remember, you aren't going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time to any significant degree, and your goal during a cutting phase is simply to maintain as much lean tissue as possible.

This is where creatine during a cut helps out. Creatine helps to keep your strength levels elevated so that you can continue providing maximum stimulation to your muscles during workouts and thus keep as much of your muscle tissue intact as much as possible.

Some people may argue against using creatine while cutting by saying that creatine causes water retention and will leave you looking soft and bloated. Although creatine does cause your body to retain more water, that water is stored inside the actual muscle cell itself and not beneath the skin. For that reason, it will actually cause you to appear harder and more defined.

Using creatine for cutting is exactly the same as using it for bulking - just take 3-5 grams of high quality monohydrate once per day mixed in whatever liquid you want and at any time you prefer.

So yes, use it during your cut in order to keep your muscle size and strength maximized while you lose fat, IMO using creatine while cutting is a wise idea.
  • tillerstouch
    elite_nal wrote: »

To put it simply, yes, you should continue supplementing with creatine whether your goal is to build muscle or to burn fat. Many people wonder, "does creatine burn fat", and although it doesn't enhance fat loss directly, it will allow you to maintain as much lean muscle and strength as possible while you lean down.

Remember, you aren't going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time to any significant degree, and your goal during a cutting phase is simply to maintain as much lean tissue as possible.

This is where creatine during a cut helps out. Creatine helps to keep your strength levels elevated so that you can continue providing maximum stimulation to your muscles during workouts and thus keep as much of your muscle tissue intact as much as possible.

Some people may argue against using creatine while cutting by saying that creatine causes water retention and will leave you looking soft and bloated. Although creatine does cause your body to retain more water, that water is stored inside the actual muscle cell itself and not beneath the skin. For that reason, it will actually cause you to appear harder and more defined.

Using creatine for cutting is exactly the same as using it for bulking - just take 3-5 grams of high quality monohydrate once per day mixed in whatever liquid you want and at any time you prefer.

So yes, use it during your cut in order to keep your muscle size and strength maximized while you lose fat, IMO using creatine while cutting is a wise idea.

In line with a lot I've read. Thank you very much. My last cut was a big success I lost quite a bit of weight while retaining most of my muscle so I'm hoping this one will be even better. Especially with the gain in muscle I'm hoping to make over the next 2 months.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Creatine is one of two suppliments I take, the other being whey, but results are mixed at best and it's not a miracle suppliment. A fair number people (something like 20%) don't respond very well at all so keep that in mind. The main benefits tend to be an increase in LBM through water retention, generally 2-4 pounds, making the muscles look fuller and it also tends to allow for an extra rep or two on heavier lifting so can lead to a slight increase in strength and hypertophy in mostly untrained subjects.

I think it's worth it because I take monohydrate and it's cheap, but it's not necessary and in the long run you probaby won't gain a lot extra on strength or hypertrophy but you will have a slightly larger looking muscle due to water retention.
  • tillerstouch
    Thanks @Wheelhouse15 it seems like for how cheap it is its worth a try.
  • elite_nal

This is personally why I don't take it anymore. Even increasing my water intake I still felt blah and just plain bloated.

Yes, creatine does lead to an increase in total water weight, however, that water is stored directly inside the muscle cell itself and not underneath the skin. For that reason, creatine shouldn't cause you to appear soft or bloated. If anything, creatine should lead to an increase in overall muscle definition and hardness.

Creatine bloating could be a possibility of a few things...

If you're using a lower grade product, but as long as you stick to a supplement that sources from "Creapure" then you definitely should not run into any problems. It's a higher grade product that ensures that you don't experience any unwanted creatine water weight underneath your skin.

Also, a lot of people mistakenly believe that they're experiencing bloating from creatine, when in fact it's actually being caused by a high calorie muscle building diet. If your calories shoot too high, you may appear softer and flatter. However, this is simply due to high calorie, carbohydrate and salt intake and not from creatine itself.

As long as you use a high quality product, creatine will actually have the opposite effect.
  • jmule24
    elite_nal wrote: »

Yes, creatine does lead to an increase in total water weight, however, that water is stored directly inside the muscle cell itself and not underneath the skin. For that reason, creatine shouldn't cause you to appear soft or bloated. If anything, creatine should lead to an increase in overall muscle definition and hardness.

Creatine bloating could be a possibility of a few things...

If you're using a lower grade product, but as long as you stick to a supplement that sources from "Creapure" then you definitely should not run into any problems. It's a higher grade product that ensures that you don't experience any unwanted creatine water weight underneath your skin.

Also, a lot of people mistakenly believe that they're experiencing bloating from creatine, when in fact it's actually being caused by a high calorie muscle building diet. If your calories shoot too high, you may appear softer and flatter. However, this is simply due to high calorie, carbohydrate and salt intake and not from creatine itself.

As long as you use a high quality product, creatine will actually have the opposite effect.

I was bloated and blah feeling because of increasing my water intake........
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member

I feel like it does nothing to me but I still take it daily, there are people who are "none responsive" I would assume I am one of those people. I don't mind dropping the $30 for a years supply though.
  • ghonish
    ghonish Posts: 6 Member
    Just a heads up, believe it or not you can actually overhydrate. I think most would recommend around 3 liters of water throughout the day. After cramping up in the surf and nearly drowning I vowed never to dehydrate again so the next day I must have smashed 8 liters and by the time night rolled around I was feeling it. Symptoms are a lot like dehydration, you get cramps and a head ache. So keep that in mind.