FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/06/15/fda-obesity-weight-loss-aspire-assist-device-pump-food-stomach/85915870/

I really don't know how to feel about this. On one hand it probably would be a useful tool for many who feel addicted to overeating. On the other, OMG WTH has the world come to?!?!

Why can't we just stop eating too much?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    *some* eating disorder patients have been doing this for years with feeding tubes. The FDA is behind the times ;)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    7SL0M87.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How do you develop healthier habits with this device? According to the article it says you will.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "According to the FDA, patients may experience stomach pain, irritation, potential leakage, bleeding, and infection to name a few." :(

i had a friend who used to binge and purge, but the thing is that he was quite slender - only he felt he was overweight. with something like this i believe he would have starved himself to death.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'd rather take Alli. That thread will poop pop up.
    After one year they lost 12% of body weight. What a joke.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How do you develop healthier habits with this device? According to the article it says you will.

I'm not sure what the thinking behind it is. Maybe that seeing that chewed partially digested food will be disgusting enough to make you stop overeating??
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'm not sure what the thinking behind it is. Maybe that seeing that chewed partially digested food will be disgusting enough to make you stop overeating??

Nailed it!! partially digested food would be totally gross!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So basically it is a PEG tube but in reverse?

I can see this becoming a huge issue, especially for those with a history of bulimia. HBO did a special years ago called "Thin" about residential eating disorder treatment. One of the women had a PEG tube and used it to stay under 90lbs!

What on earth was the FDA thinking?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    "According to the FDA, patients may experience stomach pain, irritation, potential leakage, bleeding, and infection to name a few." :(

i had a friend who used to binge and purge, but the thing is that he was quite slender - only he felt he was overweight. with something like this i believe he would have starved himself to death.

It seems they considered this. It says the device stops working after 115 cycles to force patients to follow-up with a doctor.