FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Let's also report this responsibly. It's for morbidly obese people. It's a surgical procedure done by doctors who deem that the patient needs it. It can't be administered to people who just need to lose a few pounds.
    And as gross as it sounds, it's doing basically what every thing else out there which is reducing calories for the patient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I am considered morbidly obese. My BMI is 40.9. Would I use this product? Probably not. At least not at this point in my life. But for those of you bashing it, and saying oh how it's better/free/blah blah blah to just lose weight....I'm here to tell you it is NOT THAT EASY. Yes, people do it every day. I know it's not easy. I know it takes dedication. But damn it, do you think we like being fat? Don't you think we want to ride roller coasters with our kids? Or take a flight for vacation? My god. BEING FAT SUCKS. Yes, I know I'm in control of what I put in my body. THAT DOESN'T MAKE THIS JOURNEY ANY EASIER. We aren't out for a quick fix. I know what healthy portions are. We just want to be NORMAL.

The struggle is real. And until you have lived it, SHUT UP.

Do you know where you are? Former 44.3 bmi, here. You seem to be seeing an outcry from "thin privilege" (which doesn't exist, by the way) when it's mainly people who know how to get fat and how to lose the weight because we've lived the struggle.

I agee that the poster is a bit emotionally reactive and the "SHUT UP" is rude, but I disagree about thin privilege not being a thing. I don't particularly like the term, but I do think the struggle is different for different people, and there's a clear difference in how the world treats the obese and those closer to a socially acceptable weight. I'm technically obese with my BMI of 30, but I'm a socially acceptable level of fat. Like any time I've lost weight, I am certainly treated differently by the general public than I was at a much higher BMI. Not going to debate the issue after this post, though. Don't want to derail the thread. I don't like the device, but there are the typical "put down the fork" comments here and there.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    So, it's basically automated bulimia? OK, then.

This will be great in the workplace. Take a smoke break then take 15 minutes to expel excess meal
  • martamadness
    martamadness Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does it cause metabolic alkalosis... You're basically getting rid of your stomach acid.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I am considered morbidly obese. My BMI is 40.9. Would I use this product? Probably not. At least not at this point in my life. But for those of you bashing it, and saying oh how it's better/free/blah blah blah to just lose weight....I'm here to tell you it is NOT THAT EASY. Yes, people do it every day. I know it's not easy. I know it takes dedication. But damn it, do you think we like being fat? Don't you think we want to ride roller coasters with our kids? Or take a flight for vacation? My god. BEING FAT SUCKS. Yes, I know I'm in control of what I put in my body. THAT DOESN'T MAKE THIS JOURNEY ANY EASIER. We aren't out for a quick fix. I know what healthy portions are. We just want to be NORMAL.

The struggle is real. And until you have lived it, SHUT UP.

Do you know where you are? Former 44.3 bmi, here. You seem to be seeing an outcry from "thin privilege" (which doesn't exist, by the way) when it's mainly people who know how to get fat and how to lose the weight because we've lived the struggle.

I agee that the poster is a bit emotionally reactive and the "SHUT UP" is rude, but I disagree about thin privilege not being a thing. I don't particularly like the term, but I do think the struggle is different for different people, and there's a clear difference in how the world treats the obese and those closer to a socially acceptable weight. I'm technically obese with my BMI of 30, but I'm a socially acceptable level of fat. Like any time I've lost weight, I am certainly treated differently by the general public than I was at a much higher BMI. Not going to debate the issue after this post, though. Don't want to derail the thread. I don't like the device, but there are the typical "put down the fork" comments here and there.

By thin privilege, I meant the privilege of being "naturally thin," which doesn't exist, as opposed to how people are treated.

The "put down the fork" comments aren't out of line. Of course there's more to it than that, but that's the bottom line. Some people need intervention (educational, surgical, or whatever) to know how and when to put the fork down, which is something that this device doesn't seem like it will accomplish.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sooo assisted bulimia? nice, america.. instead of providing more information and education on portions and providing accessible, affordable, better food choices, we are instead avoiding the real issue and just saying okay to something that can become a serious disease. how humanity lasted this long is lost on me sometimes.

Edited to add a word I missed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

Who said there's no reason for people to be obese?
    All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    sooo assisted bulimia? nice, america.. instead of providing more information and education on portions and providing accessible, affordable food choices, we are instead avoiding the real issue and just saying okay to something that can become a serious disease. how humanity lasted this long is lost on me sometimes.

The device is already being used in Europe.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

Who said there's no reason for people to be obese?
    All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?

That last sentence is beyond silly. The same could be said of any weight loss tool.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    sooo assisted bulimia? nice, america.. instead of providing more information and education on portions and providing accessible, affordable food choices, we are instead avoiding the real issue and just saying okay to something that can become a serious disease. how humanity lasted this long is lost on me sometimes.

Yes, it's such a shame that we have no affordable food choices here in America. That's what the obese really need. Cheaper food.
  • alyssa_rest
    Options

Yes, it's such a shame that we have no affordable food choices here in America. That's what the obese really need. Cheaper food.

My salad I make at home sometimes costs more than two big macs. That's what I was getting at. I wish better food choices were more affordable. Sorry, I must have forgot a word. :)
  • alyssa_rest
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

The device is already being used in Europe.

Okay so America is not the only ones then! Haha. Didn't know that.. thanks for the info! I still don't think it's a good idea.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

My salad I make at home sometimes costs more than two big macs. That's what I was getting at. I wish better food choices were more affordable. Sorry, I must have forgot a word. :)

Well sure, you can choose to eat expensively. But that expensive salad is not required for weight control.
  • alyssa_rest
    edited June 2016
    Options

Well sure, you can choose to eat expensively. But that expensive salad is not required for weight control.

You're turning my statement into something else entirely. I know it's not required. I never said that. I'm not going to argue with you about food choices because to each their own while losing weight. I just know that when I was struggling with money, my nutrient dense food I enjoy eating was hard to come by.

But what is that saying by just purging food? Eat 30% less. Essentially, it's doing the same thing except it's not going into your mouth.

Edited to make another point.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    That is a horrible analogy. It isn't like people are accidentally ingesting large amounts of food.

You missed the point entirely. It's not about who can we blame? It's about what the device is supposed to do: it's supposed to save the lives of morbidly obese people who are on death's door. It's not an educational device. That's why wearing seat belts to survive a crash not to learn how to avoid one is a good analogy. Even if it went over your head.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do you run into things on purpose because you have a seatbelt?
    Do you deliberately accept blows to the head because you have a helmet?

Of course not. But I can tell you don't have what it takes to be a doctor. When a person needs medical help, you don't only provide it if you approve of the way they got sick or injured. "Oh you feel sick, well who have you been kissing lately?"

We're talking about a medical intervention. Weird that it makes people preachy and judgemental. Don't like the idea? Don't get a stomach pump. I won't be getting one either. If someone else needs it, I hope it helps them.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It does exactly what it's supposed to do by teaching the patient nothing. From the website: Many patients choose to keep the AspireAssist in place to ensure that they maintain their weight loss...if the AspireAssist is needed to maintain weight loss, it is likely weight regain will occur if therapy is stopped.

It works perfectly!!!

Given the number of people that fail at every other method of weight loss, would this be a horrible thing?

A lifetime of medically assisted binge/purging? Sure could.

If it got them to a healthy weight and kept them there would it be an inherently horrible thing?

Kinda like an e-cigarette...letting people continue with their addiction and fork over their money forever rather than face the music and quit.

That's actually a really good comparison, but I think it might work against your point. All available evidence is that while an e-cigarette isn't completely safe and of course isn't the #1 ideal solution to quitting smoking, it's also many many MANY times safer than actual cigarettes and therefore a significant step in the right direction of being healthier and avoiding many of the short- and long-term health effects of smoking for those who aren't able to quit entirely on their own by sheer force of will and behavioral approaches. Just like this device certainly isn't everyone's ideal solution, but if the results are that many obese people can avoid some or all of the health complications of their weight by using it then why is it bad?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

You're turning my statement into something else entirely. I know it's not required. I never said that. I'm not going to argue with you about food choices because to each their own while losing weight. I just know that when I was struggling with money, my nutrient dense food I enjoy eating was hard to come by.

But what is that saying by just purging food? Eat 30% less. Essentially, it's doing the same thing except it's not going into your mouth.

Edited to make another point.

People are not becoming and remaining obese due to lack of affordable food choices. Overeating is the problem.