FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options

Replies

• SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So people who lack the will power to cut down their calories, they are giving them an easy way out that will lead to an eat disorder. 'Merica! Land of the Lazy Way Out!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It does exactly what it's supposed to do by teaching the patient nothing. From the website: Many patients choose to keep the AspireAssist in place to ensure that they maintain their weight loss...if the AspireAssist is needed to maintain weight loss, it is likely weight regain will occur if therapy is stopped.

It works perfectly!!!

Given the number of people that fail at every other method of weight loss, would this be a horrible thing?

A lifetime of medically assisted binge/purging? Sure could.

If it got them to a healthy weight and kept them there would it be an inherently horrible thing?

Kinda like an e-cigarette...letting people continue with their addiction and fork over their money forever rather than face the music and quit.

I said I didn't want to derail this thread, but I came back and saw the e-cig comments, so I had to get back on my soap box.

Someone mentioned chemicals and e-cigs still being an unknown.

Your basic liquid contains 2-3 ingredients. Propylene glycol (used in nebulizers, inhalers, toothpaste, shampoo, food, and the current FDA approved nicotine replacement products), vegetable glycerin (also used in food), and the same pharmaceutical grade nicotine found in FDA approved replacement products. Any flavors, which are optional, are FDA approved for food. Not much unknown about ANY of these chemicals. You can't get through every day life without exposure to PG or flavorings for the most part, whether you vape or not.

On top of that, e-cigs are not that new. They started 10 years or so ago in China and have grown exponentially since then. Smoking rates are dropping as well. No proof that it's from e-cigs, but there's a correlation. Millions of people around the world have used an e-cig.

Europe concluded they are 95% safer than regular cigarettes. The US government seems to be trying to protect Big Tobacco and pharma interests. Come 2018, thanks to new FDA regulations, the only devices on the market are going to come from Big Tobacco. Are the new regulations really some attempt to protect public health from an unknown entity that the FDA has been dealing with for years? Hmmm.

And yeah, I use an e-cig. I used to smoke 2.5 packs per day. 5 years without smoking, and I have dropped my nicotine to almost pointlessly low levels. I've had chest x-rays, and my lungs have been listened to multiple times. My doctor has me listed as a non-smoker and says my lungs are excellent. I no longer have a smoker's cough or constant sinus infections. Good enough for me.

Congratulations!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So people who lack the will power to cut down their calories, they are giving them an easy way out that will lead to an eat disorder. 'Merica! Land of the Lazy Way Out!

Again, I'm not trying to defend this device, but this doesn't look like an easy way out. I love to eat, and I eat too much, but I can't imagine even considering this. I think the majority of obese people would balk at this, but I could be wrong.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    OMG, It's the end of world as we know it. Many things make me sad about society today, but this really is going too far. What next? Makes me glad I am old.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

Who said there's no reason for people to be obese?
    All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?

That last sentence is beyond silly. The same could be said of any weight loss tool.

How is it silly? If they're able to control their intake, they don't need the pump. If not, the effects won't last.

And yes, it can be said about lipo, Jenny Craig, weight loss shakes and a host of other things. That doesn't invalidate the statement.

It's silly because it makes no sense to say that if you retain knowledge learned you never needed to learn it in the first place.

Which is not what I said.
    What I'm saying is that if a person is incapable of learning how to eat properly and implement what they've learned, the results of using the pump will not last. However, if they are capable of learning how to eat properly and implement what they've learned they can do so without using the pump.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Again, I'm not trying to defend this device, but this doesn't look like an easy way out. I love to eat, and I eat too much, but I can't imagine even considering this. I think the majority of obese people would balk at this, but I could be wrong.

I imagine, given the comments not only in here but all over the Internet, that most people who would qualify for this device would find it far too embarrassing to consider. There will be a massive stigma against it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?

That last sentence is beyond silly. The same could be said of any weight loss tool.

How is it silly? If they're able to control their intake, they don't need the pump. If not, the effects won't last.

And yes, it can be said about lipo, Jenny Craig, weight loss shakes and a host of other things. That doesn't invalidate the statement.

It's silly because it makes no sense to say that if you retain knowledge learned you never needed to learn it in the first place.

What I'm saying is that if a person is incapable of learning how to eat properly and implement what they've learned, the results of using the pump will not last. However, if they are capable of learning how to eat properly and implement what they've learned they can do so without using the pump.

Which is something you can't possibly know. Just because someone can't learn something by one method doesn't mean they can't learn by another.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

How do you know? From the moment kids step one foot into a classroom on their first day of school it's widely recognized that everyone learns VERY differently - yes, generally referring to academics in childhood and young adulthood, but it absolutely extends into other areas of life. Who are you to decide for another person how they learn best? Maybe this device is what makes it stick for some people after years of trying many other methods. I highly doubt that there is anyone out there who right out of the box goes "you know what? I've been overweight all my life, I've got to lose 75lbs, I think instead of even TRYING to go for a walk or to cut my calories I'm going to go out and get that thing where I have to barf through a tube for the rest of my life." And I certainly hope that for the few who do have that mindset that they have a responsible doctor who won't let them do it. The intention is for this device to be used by people who CAN'T learn other ways. Says so right on the FDA approval - it's intended for individuals "who have failed to achieve and maintain weight loss through non-surgical weight-loss therapy."
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options

Yeah no, I know tons of people who would look at this like "Omg I can eat whatever I want and not watch how much I eat" (most of those idiots in my extended family always looking for an easy way out) and actually get this surgery. Never change their eating habits, get it removed and then gain all the weight back. Unlike the other weigh loss surgeries that do things like shrink the stomach so you feel fuller quicker so you learn to eat smaller sizes, this is letting you eat whatever you want and just pumping it out, like bulimia. This is an easy way to bulimia. Binge eating then throwing it back up without the throwing up part. I'm surprised an American didn't think of this.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Also including calorie counting and MFP types of sites. I'm not saying I am for this device, but ALL weight loss methods are subject to this.

MFP is a counting tool. I've had success not due to MFP but due to my learning how to eat properly.
    Whether I write down what I've eaten, track it on MFP or have a good enough memory to track my intake mentally makes no difference.
    Tracking food intake to ensure proper nutrition =/= a gimmick product/procedure. I track my intake because I know what/how much I need to eat to reach my goals, not because I depend on MFP or other sites to lose weight. I use MFP to supplement my memory.

Stomach pumps, Jenny Craig, lipo...they don't teach me how much protein I need or how to ensure I get it. Therefore, once the program is over or the product runs out, the results don't last.
    Because I do know how much protein I need, how much fat, how much fiber and how many calories, I can continue to enjoy success no matter what method I use to measure my intake.

Big difference. Really big. Yuuuuuge.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Also including calorie counting and MFP types of sites. I'm not saying I am for this device, but ALL weight loss methods are subject to this.

MFP is a counting tool. I've had success not due to MFP but due to my learning how to eat properly.
    Whether I write down what I've eaten, track it on MFP or have a good enough memory to track my intake mentally makes no difference.
    Tracking food intake to ensure proper nutrition =/= a gimmick product/procedure. I track my intake because I know what/how much I need to eat to reach my goals, not because I depend on MFP or other sites to lose weight. I use MFP to supplement my memory.

Stomach pumps, Jenny Craig, lipo...they don't teach me how much protein I need or how to ensure I get it. Therefore, once the program is over or the product runs out, the results don't last.
    Because I do know how much protein I need, how much fat, how much fiber and how many calories, I can continue to enjoy success no matter what method I use to measure my intake.

If MFP taught you how much protein you need, does that mean you eat the amount of protein suggested by the site without adjustment?
  • ogtmama
    Options

Yeah no, I know tons of people who would look at this like "Omg I can eat whatever I want and not watch how much I eat" (most of those idiots in my extended family always looking for an easy way out) and actually get this surgery. Never change their eating habits, get it removed and then gain all the weight back. Unlike the other weigh loss surgeries that do things like shrink the stomach so you feel fuller quicker so you learn to eat smaller sizes, this is letting you eat whatever you want and just pumping it out, like bulimia. This is an easy way to bulimia. Binge eating then throwing it back up without the throwing up part. I'm surprised an American didn't think of this.

I can actually see a future where it's a commonly accepted weight loss method. I think a LOT of people would be drawn to a method of losing weight that allows them to eat and drink whatever they want.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

How do you know? From the moment kids step one foot into a classroom on their first day of school it's widely recognized that everyone learns VERY differently - yes, generally referring to academics in childhood and young adulthood, but it absolutely extends into other areas of life. Who are you to decide for another person how they learn best? Maybe this device is what makes it stick for some people after years of trying many other methods. I highly doubt that there is anyone out there who right out of the box goes "you know what? I've been overweight all my life, I've got to lose 75lbs, I think instead of even TRYING to go for a walk or to cut my calories I'm going to go out and get that thing where I have to barf through a tube for the rest of my life." And I certainly hope that for the few who do have that mindset that they have a responsible doctor who won't let them do it. The intention is for this device to be used by people who CAN'T learn other ways. Says so right on the FDA approval - it's intended for individuals "who have failed to achieve and maintain weight loss through non-surgical weight-loss therapy."

The bolded illustrates my point that those who use this device will be very likely to gain the weight back. They have proven that they are either a) unable or b) unwilling to eat in such a way as to manage their weight.
    Using a device to manipulate CI while leaving real intake unchecked may result in weight loss during use but when the device is gone and the same eating patterns continue, the weight will return.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options

I can actually see a future where it's a commonly accepted weight loss method. I think a LOT of people would be drawn to a method of losing weight that allows them to eat and drink whatever they want.

You can eat and drink whatever you want now if you just learn to eat it in smaller servings and not binge the bad stuff.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

And that would be bad?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Which is something you can't possibly know. Just because someone can't learn something by one method doesn't mean they can't learn by another.

So after counseling, therapy, diet programs, etc. have failed, using the stomach pump is going to suddenly trigger the light bulb, "Oh! I get it now! CICO!"

It's not impossible.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

If MFP taught you how much protein you need, does that mean you eat the amount of protein suggested by the site without adjustment?

Did you read what I said? I said that MFP is only a counting tool for me. I never said that it taught me anything.
    And no, as I'm a heavy lifter currently eating in a deficit, I eat a LOT more protein than MFP suggests. I also don't follow MFP's calorie recommendations as I've learned for myself what my actual intake should be.
  • ogtmama
    Options

You can eat and drink whatever you want now if you just learn to eat it in smaller servings and not binge the bad stuff.

Re-word to the obvious as much of whatever you want.