FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    sooo assisted bulimia? nice, america.. instead of providing more information and education on portions and providing accessible, affordable food choices, we are instead avoiding the real issue and just saying okay to something that can become a serious disease. how humanity lasted this long is lost on me sometimes.

Yes, it's such a shame that we have no affordable food choices here in America. That's what the obese really need. Cheaper food.

My salad I make at home sometimes costs more than two big macs. That's what I was getting at. I wish better food choices were more affordable. Sorry, I must have forgot a word. :)

There are food stamp programs available to make better food choices more available.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    sooo assisted bulimia? nice, america.. instead of providing more information and education on portions and providing accessible, affordable food choices, we are instead avoiding the real issue and just saying okay to something that can become a serious disease. how humanity lasted this long is lost on me sometimes.

The device is already being used in Europe.

Okay so America is not the only ones then! Haha. Didn't know that.. thanks for the info! I still don't think it's a good idea.

America is not even the first!
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Yes, it's such a shame that we have no affordable food choices here in America. That's what the obese really need. Cheaper food.

My salad I make at home sometimes costs more than two big macs. That's what I was getting at. I wish better food choices were more affordable. Sorry, I must have forgot a word. :)

Well sure, you can choose to eat expensively. But that expensive salad is not required for weight control.

You're turning my statement into something else entirely. I know it's not required. I never said that. I'm not going to argue with you about food choices because to each their own while losing weight. I just know that when I was struggling with money, my nutrient dense food I enjoy eating was hard to come by.

But what is that saying by just purging food? Eat 30% less. Essentially, it's doing the same thing except it's not going into your mouth.

Edited to make another point.

People are not becoming and remaining obese due to lack of affordable food choices. Overeating is the problem.

Yepp. So as I said, eat 30% less and you're getting the same effect as this purging tube. I agree that overeating is the problem. We need to start teaching more people portion control. Half of my friends are confused when I say I count calories because they were unaware that they were so important. I am agreeing with you on that but I'm assuming you may have missed where I said we need more education about portion control in my first post.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    That is a horrible analogy. It isn't like people are accidentally ingesting large amounts of food.

You missed the point entirely. It's not about who can we blame? It's about what the device is supposed to do: it's supposed to save the lives of morbidly obese people who are on death's door. It's not an educational device. That's why wearing seat belts to survive a crash not to learn how to avoid one is a good analogy. Even if it went over your head.

A BMI of 35 isn't really at death's door without a lot of other stuff going on.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It does exactly what it's supposed to do by teaching the patient nothing. From the website: Many patients choose to keep the AspireAssist in place to ensure that they maintain their weight loss...if the AspireAssist is needed to maintain weight loss, it is likely weight regain will occur if therapy is stopped.

It works perfectly!!!

Given the number of people that fail at every other method of weight loss, would this be a horrible thing?

A lifetime of medically assisted binge/purging? Sure could.

If it got them to a healthy weight and kept them there would it be an inherently horrible thing?

Kinda like an e-cigarette...letting people continue with their addiction and fork over their money forever rather than face the music and quit.

That's actually a really good comparison, but I think it might work against your point. All available evidence is that while an e-cigarette isn't completely safe and of course isn't the #1 ideal solution to quitting smoking, it's also many many MANY times safer than actual cigarettes and therefore a significant step in the right direction of being healthier and avoiding many of the short- and long-term health effects of smoking for those who aren't able to quit entirely on their own by sheer force of will and behavioral approaches. Just like this device certainly isn't everyone's ideal solution, but if the results are that many obese people can avoid some or all of the health complications of their weight by using it then why is it bad?

I wasn't making any point other than several industries will profit from this invention...I also suspect that many people who are morbidly obese, on some level, want to be morbidly obese. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to make it to that size and I have heard people refer to their fat as protection/insulation...I suspect that these people will sabotage this effort as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    That is a horrible analogy. It isn't like people are accidentally ingesting large amounts of food.

You missed the point entirely. It's not about who can we blame? It's about what the device is supposed to do: it's supposed to save the lives of morbidly obese people who are on death's door. It's not an educational device. That's why wearing seat belts to survive a crash not to learn how to avoid one is a good analogy. Even if it went over your head.

A BMI of 35 isn't really at death's door without a lot of other stuff going on.

A BMI of any number isn't at death's door without a lot of other stuff going on. But the longer one lives with a high BMI the higher the likelihood that other stuff will be going on.

The device isn't for those at death's door. Those people would likely be hospitalized.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It does exactly what it's supposed to do by teaching the patient nothing. From the website: Many patients choose to keep the AspireAssist in place to ensure that they maintain their weight loss...if the AspireAssist is needed to maintain weight loss, it is likely weight regain will occur if therapy is stopped.

It works perfectly!!!

Given the number of people that fail at every other method of weight loss, would this be a horrible thing?

If it got them to a healthy weight and kept them there would it be an inherently horrible thing?

Kinda like an e-cigarette...letting people continue with their addiction and fork over their money forever rather than face the music and quit.

That's actually a really good comparison, but I think it might work against your point. All available evidence is that while an e-cigarette isn't completely safe and of course isn't the #1 ideal solution to quitting smoking, it's also many many MANY times safer than actual cigarettes and therefore a significant step in the right direction of being healthier and avoiding many of the short- and long-term health effects of smoking for those who aren't able to quit entirely on their own by sheer force of will and behavioral approaches. Just like this device certainly isn't everyone's ideal solution, but if the results are that many obese people can avoid some or all of the health complications of their weight by using it then why is it bad?

Researchers aren't supporting this, yet. There's still concern about certain chemicals being drawn much more deeply into the lungs and studies aren't complete on their effects (or lack of). It's still considered an open question.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It works perfectly!!!

I wasn't making any point other than several industries will profit from this invention...I also suspect that many people who are morbidly obese, on some level, want to be morbidly obese. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to make it to that size and I have heard people refer to their fat as protection/insulation...I suspect that these people will sabotage this effort as well.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make. Are you saying because some people like to be obese we should stop looking for ways to help those who want to lose but can't seem to do it on their own?
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Nope. I didn't say it shouldn't be used...just that it won't do much.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Other than make a few people rich ;)
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I go calibrate my bulimia pump to "2 hot dogs".
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    NOPE.
    I wish I could unsee this post, and unread the comments about dumping chunky partially digested food, and just..

Oh god. Well this will help me stay on calorie target today.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

Who said there's no reason for people to be obese?
    All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?

That last sentence is beyond silly. The same could be said of any weight loss tool.

How is it silly? If they're able to control their intake, they don't need the pump. If not, the effects won't last.

And yes, it can be said about lipo, Jenny Craig, weight loss shakes and a host of other things. That doesn't invalidate the statement.

It's silly because it makes no sense to say that if you retain knowledge learned you never needed to learn it in the first place.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The study results suggest otherwise.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    No it's not. All the people on here saying there is no reason for people to be obese. They just need to put down the fork. If it were that easy, there would be no obese people in the world. So until you have lived it, you have no idea what you are talking about...therefor....SHUT UP about it.

Who said there's no reason for people to be obese?
    All I said was that giving people the tools they need to reduce their intake of food would be far superior and more healthy/safe than continuing to allow uncontrolled intake while removing food from the stomach.
    The stomach pump approach, if continued long term, runs a high risk of causing deficiencies since fast digesting carbs will be the majority of what remains in the body while things like protein and fat (which is necessarily for vitamin absorption and a host of other things) will be flushed out.
    And once the pump is no longer in use, what keeps the patient from regaining the weight? And if they've learned to eat less in the process so that they can keep the weight off, doesn't that show that they didn't really need the pump to begin with?

That last sentence is beyond silly. The same could be said of any weight loss tool.

How is it silly? If they're able to control their intake, they don't need the pump. If not, the effects won't last.

And yes, it can be said about lipo, Jenny Craig, weight loss shakes and a host of other things. That doesn't invalidate the statement.

Also including calorie counting and MFP types of sites. I'm not saying I am for this device, but ALL weight loss methods are subject to this.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

It works perfectly!!!

So the company that makes this device will profit instead of companies that produce/sell the types of foods that are traditionally overeaten by the obese, or nutritionists and primary care physicians and behavioral therapists, or personal trainers, or organizations like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig, or surgeons who perform other types of weight loss procedures, or physicians who treat diabetes and heart disease and joint issues. So what? Obesity is going to be a life-long struggle for EVERYONE who has significant weight to lose no matter how they lose it (or don't lose it) - that's proven time and time again by the overwhelming percentage of people who re-gain lost weight and the personal testimonials of the few individuals who have managed to keep the weight off regarding the daily efforts they have to put in.

The second part of your statement I do agree with, but I think that's a separate issue - no one is suggesting that a device like this will cure deep-seated emotional issues and trauma.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

It works perfectly!!!

Researchers aren't supporting this, yet. There's still concern about certain chemicals being drawn much more deeply into the lungs and studies aren't complete on their effects (or lack of). It's still considered an open question.

(1) Full evaluations of the safety have not yet been completed, no - hence my recognition that they aren't completely safe or the ideal solution. However, to my knowledge no one is suggesting that they present more than a fraction of the health risks of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, regardless of the remaining unknowns. Still an improvement. (2) This is SO far beside the point. It was just an analogy.
  • ogtmama
    Options

The study results suggest otherwise.

I'm not going to claim that I read the whole thing, and if I am incorrect I apologize but did the study not say that if only this method is used to lose weight that people are likely to gain it back?

Then as another poster said, it works perfectly, exactly as it's designed to. It creates a customer for life.

Now...that being said, if it gives someone an extra 6 months to come to their senses and become willing to fight for their own life, then it's worth a shot.