July 2016 Bike Cycling Bicycling Challenge

Ohhim
Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
Happy Canada Day, Midway point to the year, and T-3 days day to the 4th of July!

Welcome to our July Cycling Thread! If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

There are no rules to how or what you post. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivates you to get on your bike.

Cheers

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited July 2016
    Got through 500 in June, but it is getting too darn hot in Florida to run, so upping my biking goal to a metric millenial, or I guess "megameter" (621 miles) and cutting back my running time. Started this morning with my Friday hammerfest team ride, and was solid on the climbs, but dragging on the flats.

7/1 - 28 miles

Total: 28 miles
    Goal: 621 miles
    Remaining: 593 miles
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Thanks Ohhim

I'm in... oh boy what should I go for? I have my week long bike trip this month and should be over 300 miles.
    Setting my goal at 550 miles.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,259 Member
    I'm in for 250 miles again!

Chris
  • rscheckler832
    rscheckler832 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in! Setting my goal at 500 miles for july. Have to start training for the MS150 City to Shore ride!
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member

MTD:

Jan: 49.93
    Feb: 177.8
    Mar: 279.94
    Apr: 198.79
    May: 110.02
    June: 238.86

YTD: 1055.34 Finally broke 1000 miles for the year.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am starting training for a mid-September mini triathlon - so cycling miles will go down as running miles increase. Probably will only get to 150 to 200 cycling miles this month - but will probably run at least 15 - 5Ks this month as well. Will add swimming in August.

All cycling miles are on the MKT, KATY, and Hinkson Creek trails.

First ride in an hour...
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Fri 01 - 4.77 miles. Godawful start to the month with an abandoned ride, feeling really crappy. Can only (hopefully) get better from here.

Target for July: 500 miles

MTD 4.77, YTD 701.72.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    JULY TOTALS
    ==========
    01 - 15.40 Miles
    ==========
    15.40 Cycling Miles - Total

All miles on the KATY, MKT, and Hinkson Creek Trails in Central Missouri.
  • emorubberband
    emorubberband Posts: 2 Member
    I like this thread. I enjoy cycling. I am not sure what my goal will be for the month. I don't get out as often as I would like. I am at gym indoors M-F am, too dark outside for riding. Then evenings I get out approx. 3 evenings but my time is split between bike/run/swim. Regularly ride on Sat mornings. Maybe this month I will start with 100miles and see what happens.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Happy Canada Day from a Canadian-Australian. :)

Saturday 2 July -- 1186 metres (3891.076) of climbing, in 81.8 km of cycling, completed within 5.5 hours (elapsed time) and 4:35 moving time for an average speed of 17.8 km/h (moving time).

The ride included a couple Category 4 climbs with various climbs in the 13-16% grade range.

Starting temperature 12°C with a high of 14.7°C halfway through the ride. We had a headwind on the way out and tailwind on the way back, for the most part, with some odd, very chilly gusts now and then. It was mostly cloudy and looked like it was going to rain several times, but fortunately, that didn't happen. On the way back we were sure we were going to get caught in a rain squall, but it passed behind us and we just got a small blast of it.

We started the ride about 12:30 pm so, since the sun sets at about 4:45, it was pitch black by the time we finished. A little night riding practice. For some reason climbing is so much more difficult in the dark.

And we stopped for lunch at the halfway point. I had been looking forward to that, but unfortunately they were out of many choices (busy day what with the federal election), and what we ate (paninis with lots of spinach) didn't sit well at all. I was about 1 km out of the town on the way back when I started feeling very unsettled. And then about 8 or 9 km later we started a long, long climb (one of the cat 4 climbs) and by the time I got to the top, I was not feeling at all well. Fighting to keep things down. However, I took an electrolyte tablet and a Zantac, and that eased things a bit.

The route mainly followed the coast so we had lots of beautiful views of water and green hills.

There were lots of birds around ... a large flock of black cockatoos filled a tree next to where we parked at the start of the ride and we had to dodge and weave between the pine cones they were dropping from the tree ... we were being bombed! And during the ride, I spotted herons, oyster catchers, small gulls, large Pacific gulls, a cormorant airing its wings ... and most spectacular was a massive wedge-tail eagle which took flight from a tree next to the road, and flew across, right in front of Rowan. I don't think I've ever seen them that close, but Rowan has because they come onto the property where he works. In fact, just yesterday, he rescued a young one which had flown through the net over the orchard, and then had become stuck inside.

Overall, it was a good, strenuous, training ride on a beautiful but quite hilly route. :)

Oh, and I wore my new winter cycling boots for the first time. They're very comfortable but I will have to do something about drafts coming in around my ankles. And ... I need to install a cleat!! I forgot all about that and so had to ride with my platform pedals the whole way!! :lol:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Elevation profile:
    28001047646_10f1122ca8_b.jpg
  • SteveCro
    edited July 2016
    I'm in... oh boy what should I go for? I have my week long bike trip this month and should be over 300 miles.

7/1 - 8.61 miles

MTD - 8.61 miles

Jan - 170.47
    Feb - 245.31
    Mar - 409.88
    Apr - 227.22
    May - 332.92
    June - 302.69

YTD - 1697.10
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Since I'm still trying to ease back in, I will set my month goal at 100 miles. Happy Trails!
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member
    7/1 18.01
    7/2 20.28 Hot, humid and flat in Alexandria LA. Wish there was a wind like back home in the Flint Hills.

MTD: 38.29

Jan: 49.93
    Feb: 177.8
    Mar: 279.94
    Apr: 198.79
    May: 110.02
    June: 238.86

Total: 1055.34
  • SteveCro
    edited July 2016

7/1 - 8.61 miles
    7/2 - 31.72 miles

MTD - 40.34 miles

Jan - 170.47
    Feb - 245.31
    Mar - 409.88
    Apr - 227.22
    May - 332.92
    June - 302.69

YTD - 1728.82
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,259 Member
    I'm in for 250 miles again!

07/02 - 13.00 miles

Chris
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Riding with Children: All Pain, no Gain

14.9 miles this morning

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @Ohhim hey! You gonna do an August challenge? I'm in for 0 this month (still on crutches). :relaxed: If I feel boneheadedly brave, I may get the trainer out in a few weeks!

I have a new Adamo ISM saddle. Anyone have and feedback on them? So far, just sitting on it (before piriformis release/sciatic nerve decompression surgery, had PNE too) it might help me keep cycling. I'll probably be cycling before I can run again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Five weekends in July so should be a big mileage month! No particular target apart from a solo century ride from Winchester. Maybe next weekend, weather permitting.

Saturday was (yet another...) changeable weather day so the planned long ride got a bit time-squeezed. Ended up getting hot, then wet & cold (cold enough to trigger my Raynauld's and lost all feeling in hands & feet for a while - in July!), then wet & hot when rain jacket turned into a sauna suit. Bit of sun, dull at times, calm then windy with wind direction constantly changing as showers rolled in.
    You know you have upset the weather gods when you get a headwind on the same stretch of road in opposite directions!
    45.6 miles @ 17.1 mph

Today (Sunday) is a far better day. Did a couple of hills (working on my weak point), climb to Newlands Corner gave a spectacular view of Surrey's North Downs (The Downs are actually ups not downs...) 1 mile steady climb at 5% average.
    Pleased with a PR on Combe Lane which is just under a mile, averages 7% but gets really steep (17%) near the top.
    cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/combe-lane/
    55.4 miles @ 16.4 mph

101 miles for the weekend.
  • SavannahS2016
    SavannahS2016 Posts: 350 Member
    I'm a beginner second month managed 103 miles in June hoping anything above that this month ill say 120 Miles.

1st July: 5.4 Miles 20 Minutes
    3rd July: 8.1 Miles 30 Minutes

Total: 13.5 Miles 50 Minutes

June:103.5 Miles 358.33 Minutes
    May: 45.5 Miles 185 Minutes

YTD: 200.9 Miles