Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day..yes or no?

addily1986
addily1986 Posts: 11 Member
When starting my diet I thought to myself "I'm not sure I can do this...I need a cheat day." Now my mind is telling me yes cheat day! ...but it's telling me to cheat every day so I'm trying not to listen.
What are other peoples viewpoints on a cheat day?

Dieting is hard work any time of the year you do it. But it feels especially hard for me in the summer because of all the fun social things happening. I mean have you ever tried to float the river without a beer? BORING.

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Cheat day..yes or no?

I say yes, BUT, you absolutely must be of the mind to carry on your plan the very next day. If you cannot do this right now in your life, circumstances, environment, etc, it is suggested you just fit treats into everyday calorie allowance, or you may be better off with the "cheat meal", rather than a whole cheat day. -- It also must be said that if you're someone who can "put away" thousands of calories, stay well away from "cheat days", they can wipe an entire calorie deficit out, and then some.

Things can slip... You may find that everything is going well with these cheat days, but you find yourself having more than 1 a week, "Hell, why not 3?, I'll get back to it tomorrow.."... Yeah... slippery slope. Perhaps the hot weather has taken away the other equation for you that you think helps make your whole plan work (exercise). So you're working out less, and boredom may strike..you're praying for that cheat day, and you'll use any excuse or "event" to have one. This is not the end of all things fun you've come to know in your journey, nope..

But... you will have to re-access things, and make sure that cheat day is only once a week. Keep yourself honest.

When all is said and done, cheat days WILL slow your progress if you choose to have one, however in my 9 months of personal experience with them, I have no regrets. As long as you remember the #1 rule, to get right back on track.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    jester13 wrote: »
    Think about it this way. It takes more then a day of clean eating to get healthy and in shape. One day is not going to ruin progress. Mentally it helps a lot.

There is certainly truth to this. The amusing part is, in order to get back to my starting weight within a year, I would need to eat close to 4000 kcal per day, while being completely sedentary. That sounds...painful to do, given that my current diet is high fat, and still leaves me feeling excessively full at times, just eating to a 1700/day maintenance.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Personally I only do a cheat meal once a week, maybe twice a week. I cannot do a full blow cheat day. I find myself overly stuffed and feeling bad when I eat too much of the wrong things.

Now I will admit this. When I go on a long bike ride and I burn a ton of calories I have a tendency to eat things I wouldn't if I wasn't working out on a rest day.