Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day..yes or no?

Options

Replies

• WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cheat Day? NO!
    Cheat MEAL or SNACK, YES!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't like the words cheat. It implies I am breaking a law or rule.

But I will have a day where I eat normal # calories to loose weight, but it will be different foods that I do not eat during the week. It will be a whole day on the weekend or maybe even just one large meal that takes all my calories!
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Find a way of eating that satisfies you within your calorie limit.

If you want something, work some of it into your calories. I have about 20% of my daily calories designated for treat foods. Since I have treats every day, I don't feel nearly so deprived.

I do about the same. I don't do cheat meals or cheat days. I have too much of an addictive personality to not let one cheat day turn into three or a week.
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    IIFYM <3

Yes . Yes yes yes yes yes. I try this. Doesn't always work...but mostly...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My cheat meal is huge bowl of cheerios with full cream milk and PB2 mixed in. Pathetic i know, but i look forward to this so much!! An unopened box has been sitting in my pantry for 3 weeks, as I haven't been able to talk myself into eating any yet, as i know once that box is opened it won't last longer than 1 day..
  • x_xKarina
    x_xKarina Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No.

Now I'm not saying that having what you like is wrong. What I am saying that I don't believe its healthy to think of it like that. I rather do 80/20. 80 lean and healthier options and 20 foods I like.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but for instance last night a bag of butterkist popcorn was asking to be eaten, so I obliged. I thoroughly enjoyed it, 10 minutes later regretted it, but back on the wagon this morning. Sometimes I go over my calories, some days I'm under, but nothing like I used to eat. My mind set now is moderation and mindful eating of quality food not cheap and as much as I can eat before feeling ill.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    No ... instead I have a range of calories instead of a number set in stone. The low number is 600 calorie deficit, the high is 400 calorie deficit. If I go 50 or so over or under I don't beat myself up about it and celebrate when I hit it within that 200-calorie window.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thinking about what everyone means by "cheat day," I think it really depends on where you are in your goal. Have you been at this a while, and are you getting sick of eating at a deficit? Sure. Take a whole day and enjoy it. Then get back to work. Are you nearly to goal? Maybe. Depends on whether you're going to beat yourself up about it, but chances are good you can go ahead and have a blow-off day without any ill effects. Did you just start this last week, and you're already struggling to eat under your calorie goal? Probably not a good idea.

Saying all that, though, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a food that you would normally consider a "cheat food" within your calorie limit. Say you want pizza, like me, and you don't want to have a blow-out day. Then plan for it. Eat less for breakfast and lunch, pre-calculate your pizza calories and how much you're going to allow yourself, and enjoy.

I think this is a really good summary.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I cant fit a pizza , ice cream , donuts and all the goodies while doing IFYM kept it simple and old skool and have free (not cheat)days imo if u are working out and dieting the way you really should be a free day won't slow you down
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No cheat days or cheat meals. Just work what I want into my day. IF it fits my calories, macros.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm trying not to do "cheat days" anymore. I used to do that and then I got to where my body was craving that cheat day and I would end up cheating more than just one day of the week. Not to mention I would feel awful after I cheated but it was almost like I couldn't help myself.
    I am eating healthier and working out every day but if there's a day that I am craving something then I'll go online and look up the nutritional facts...sometimes that alone is enough to scare me and make me not eat it lol, but if it's not to awful then it's all about portion size. Sometimes I just crave pizza. Instead of scarfing down half a pizza or more I do the math and figure the right portion and only have maybe 2 slices. It kicks my craving but doesn't kill my whole day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My motto is 'as few of those as possible, but life happens'. I just eat less the rest of the time to make up for it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Cheating can be a negative thing where it be on one's spouse or Way Of Eating.

Treats I can see vs. calling them cheats when it comes to one's WOE.

A 18 year old can eat most anything and be OK the next day. At 65 after basically being off of sugar and all grains for two years I know it the next day when I eat in a way that is wrong for me personally for max health.

Cheat is a negative term in the minds of most. Negative seldom is positive for max health.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Find a way of eating that satisfies you within your calorie limit.

If you want something, work some of it into your calories. I have about 20% of my daily calories designated for treat foods. Since I have treats every day, I don't feel nearly so deprived.

This

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I ate at a deficit Monday-Friday and ate at maintenance on the weekends. I might have lost a little slower, but I never had to sacrifice my social life or food I really loved.
    That's how I continue to do it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    stop viewing food as cheats, bad, good, evil, etc. Food = food...eat the foods that you like and find a way to work in the higher calorie ones while still hitting your calorie, micro, and macro goal for the day.